Prospect Info: [2019 - 206th] Kieran Ruscheinski (Not Signed - Rights Expire)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If you think Timmins took that guy on NHL potential then I would argue that makes you the Timmins hater because you're essentially calling him an idiot who cant scout.

It was an in memoriam pick. They know he has no chance at being anything. If they dont. Then they are stupid as hell.

This guy is nothing. If you believe otherwise I have a bridge to sell you.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
If you think Timmins took that guy on NHL potential then I would argue that makes you the Timmins hater because you're essentially calling him an idiot who cant scout.

It was an in memoriam pick. They know he has no chance at being anything. If they dont. Then they are stupid as hell.

This guy is nothing. If you believe otherwise I have a bridge to sell you.

I very clearly stated that the regional scout liked the kid.......it was made in honor of that scout who was also responsible for us stealing Brendan Gallagher.

If you believe Timmins intentionally selected a non prospect over prospects that he liked there are a number of conspiracy theory websites that are eagerly awaiting your arrival.

The fact that Timmins took RHP in the 7th round solely to appease the locals was evidence that he did not believe that there were any remotely decent prospects left........allowing for the tribute pick that followed.

I am done entertaining the anti MB/Timmins narrative that is fuelling the Ruscheinski Gate tin foil gang.

Let's move on to more interesting topics then why we drafted a crappy prospect instead of the other crappy prospects that were left at the end of the 7th round. It is a ridiculous conversation that's only purpose is to distract from the rest of the draft that Timmins appears to have done a stellar job in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DAChampion

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I very clearly stated that the regional scout liked the kid.......it was made in honor of that scout who was also responsible for us stealing Brendan Gallagher.

If you believe Timmins intentionally selected a non prospect over prospects that he liked there are a number of conspiracy theory websites that are eagerly awaiting your arrival.

The fact that Timmins took RHP in the 7th round solely to appease the local xenophobes was evidence that he did not believe that there were any remotely decent prospects left........allowing for the tribute pick that followed.

I am done entertaining the anti MB/Timmins narrative that is fuelling the Ruscheinski Gate tin foil gang.

Let's move on to more interesting topics then why we drafted a crappy prospect instead of the other crappy prospects that were left at the end of the 7th round. It is a ridiculous conversation that's only purpose is to distract from the rest of the draft that Timmins appears to have done a stellar job in.

Strangely, the 7th round is the one we picked Jake Evans. A guy some thing he'll be a regular in the NHL and a really serviceable one. Also we picked Cayden Primeau. A guy that some people think we shouldn't go after Askarov because of him. Since when, in a world where the draft is only 7 rounds instead of 9 or 12 rounds, and when the UFA market for guys unpicked is really hot, since when is a 7th round just means we shouldn't honor a guy because he liked him?

Again, you want to honor a guy who discovered Gallagher? And who has been with us for so long? How about you do what some teams did in the past...go in the 1st round, at the mic, in front of fans and TV, and declare that the entire draft is in honor of this scout. And then draft the BPA at each round.

Oh and now, RHP is to appease the local (MOD) .Awesome. But hey, of course. Whenever a francophone is picked, it's solely to appease the fans. As if fans were appeased by the RHP pick...lol. But when we picked up an unknown guy for a tribute pick...that's fine. Can't imagine what your comment would be if RHP would have been that tribute pick....a local tribute pick for xenophobes?

And again, just like DaChampion...why the f*** would you go in a thread you want no business of? Do you really think that this thread of this guy will be for updates? Really?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Et le But and Habs

GammaAway

Jun 24, 2020
Again, you want to honor a guy who discovered Gallagher? And who has been with us for so long? How about you do what some teams did in the past...go in the 1st round, at the mic, in front of fans and TV, and declare that the entire draft is in honor of this scout. And then draft the BPA at each round.

I disagree with that position. It's just way too general. What you want to do to honor the scout is make it clear their opinion was valuable to you, which is not something that is accomplished by saying ''This draft is in his honor (but we won't regard what he told us)''. Unless, say, Timmins were to die suddenly, in which case his hand is in too much of the pie to pick a slice.

And doing it in the 7th round is not that important, I would think, since 99.9% of the fans don't really care to see it happen (and the few who do can read it the following day), but your peers and coworkers are.

I am not saying ''wasting'' a 7th rounder is a good idea, but I'm saying if you are going to honor a scout it's a better way than dedicating the whole draft to him.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I disagree with that position. It's just way too general. What you want to do to honor the scout is make it clear their opinion was valuable to you, which is not something that is accomplished by saying ''This draft is in his honor (but we won't regard what he told us)''. Unless, say, Timmins were to die suddenly, in which case his hand is in too much of the pie to pick a slice.

And doing it in the 7th round is not that important, I would think, since 99.9% of the fans don't really care to see it happen (and the few who do can read it the following day), but your peers and coworkers are.

I am not saying ''wasting'' a 7th rounder is a good idea, but I'm saying if you are going to honor a scout it's a better way than dedicating the whole draft to him.

I don't think this is the case.. personally.

What has more impact and gets a broader audience? Announcing the Caufield pick in his honor, in front of more people and on television OR scratching a 7th round pick where no one is paying attention or even knows. It took awhile for us to find out it was an in memoriam pick. Not really effective and now whenever people look at the draft and see this plug and be confused as to why a NHL team would have ever drafted him.

and I also think it's a ridiculous position to think that people are talking about this guy negatively to try to discredit Timmins. I've always been a Timmins supporter (although would welcome a change since he's been in the org. for so long, but that's more about changing up the direction and removing the old guard) and have been very happy with the Caufield, Norlinder, Struble and Fairbrother picks. The rest of that draft was pretty strange and really weird, but I get the idea behind the Khisnutdinov and RHP picks, we will see if the strategy pays off and if it doesn't, they'll abandon it.

The reason this thread gets any traffic at all is because there are people who want to convince themselves that there was an actual merit to selecting this player. There wasn't. It was just a pick in dedication. Brodeur picked his stupid son. Tampa selected Matt Carle's brother who lost his career due to a heart condition. NYI selected Andong Song to draft a player from Asia. There are things like this done from time to time and it never made any of them legitimate prospects.

If Keiran Ruscheinski HAD any tools at all that intrigued anybody, you don't think the Canadiens couldn't have convinced a NCAA program in Division 1 to give him a spot on their roster? Like this hasn't crossed anyone's minds? A player drafted by the Canadiens can't get any NCAA offers 2 years after his draft year?

Reactions: DAChampion

GammaAway

Jun 24, 2020
I don't think this is the case.. personally.

What has more impact and gets a broader audience? Announcing the Caufield pick in his honor, in front of more people and on television OR scratching a 7th round pick where no one is paying attention or even knows. It took awhile for us to find out it was an in memoriam pick. Not really effective and now whenever people look at the draft and see this plug and be confused as to why a NHL team would have ever drafted him.

Because the target audience wasn't the fans.

Say you were really passionate about animal rescue, and you passed, what would you rather? A fund in your name to cure pulmonary cancer with a press conference or a donation by your friends and family in to an actual animal rescue? One is self serving, the other is actually something that is about you.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Because the target audience wasn't the fans.

Say you were really passionate about animal rescue, and you passed, what would you rather? A fund in your name to cure pulmonary cancer with a press conference or a donation by your friends and family in to an actual animal rescue? One is self serving, the other is actually something that is about you.

I would rather my name be associated with something of value.. in your scenario, they had the opportunity to do something in his name with visibility to it, and instead, launched an animal rescue for gnats and nobody knew that we did it.

GammaAway

Jun 24, 2020
I would rather my name be associated with something of value.. in your scenario, they had the opportunity to do something in his name with visibility to it, and instead, launched an animal rescue for gnats and nobody knew that we did it.

Fairly certain the front office, the family and possibly Western scouts from other teams knew it. Nobody gives a rat's ass that Georges Tremblay from Chibougamau didn't know. But if you'd rather be famous than respected, up to you.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Fairly certain the front office, the family and possibly Western scouts from other teams knew it. Nobody gives a rat's ass that Georges Tremblay from Chibougamau didn't know. But if you'd rather be famous than respected, up to you.

I'd rather the acknowledgement given to me be attached to something worthy of what I had given the team. Picking a Midget AAA shitter in my honor would piss me the f*** off.

But, I digress, the team chose to honor Elmer in a way they deemed appropriate. They know the man more than I do - it can be a personal opinion on who feels what would best be the way to honor the memory of someone. In the end, the point remains is that this player was not selected for upside. So to follow him as a legitimate drafted prospect (like an Evans or a Primeau in the 7th round) is ignoring all of the evidence showing that was not the case.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

Yeah the emphasis on "visibility" is disconcerting.

But not as disconcerting as people complaining that the Habs couldn't identify a great prospect in the 7th round. The fact is that scouting NHL wide is getting better and better, and thus there are fewer and fewer good players available in the late rounds. The days of Lidstrom being drafted in the 3rd, Jamie Benn being drafted in the 4th, Brenden Gallagher being drafted in the 5th, Daniel Alfredsson being drafted in the 6,the round, and Joe Pavelski being drafted in the 7th are long gone.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

But not as disconcerting as people complaining that the Habs couldn't identify a great prospect in the 7th round. The fact is that scouting NHL wide is getting better and better, and thus there are fewer and fewer good players available in the late rounds. The days of Lidstrom being drafted in the 3rd, Jamie Benn being drafted in the 4th, Brenden Gallagher being drafted in the 5th, Daniel Alfredsson being drafted in the 6,the round, and Joe Pavelski being drafted in the 7th are long gone.

yeah, why would we think that when we have a bottom 6 C and one of our top prospects coming from the 7th round in recent memory?

Would certainly suck to have a goalie in the system who did this, this year
upload_2020-9-27_10-33-25.png

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
yeah, why would we think that when we have a bottom 6 C and one of our top prospects coming from the 7th round in recent memory?

Would certainly suck to have a goalie in the system who did this, this year
View attachment 369167

Every so often a team might find a decent player in the 4th,5th,6th or 7th round, but usually there will be nothing.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Timmins is the scout who had a big help from previous scout when the Habs had a bunch of core players drfated by the Habs with a previous scout (Koivu, Pleks, Markov, Theodore, etc). He took place and missed a lot of excellent players in his first 5 years (Carter, Parisé, Perry, Getzlaf, Seabrook, Bergeron), then he got some hits (Price, Subban, Paccioretty, Gallagher) and then he got a slump of another 7 years before getting some hits or probable hits ( Romanov, KK, Caufield, Fleury, Norlinder) in the last 3 years. But the fact is, the core of the team is only two players (Price, Gallagher), the rest of the core, players a team count on to win games are all trades or ufas. That explains because the team had a very low incoming from his farm team, the dgs had to trade all the time and sign some Metropolit or Weal to fill patches. They had no choice because some players s*cks. Ben Maxwell, Cory Urquart, David Fisher, Mike McCarron, Nikita Sherback, any GM or Coach would give nhl 17 minutes a game to any of those players? Patches on the first, the second, the third and the fourth line, same from 1rst to 7th spot on defence for about 15 years because of low incoming of quality players drafted. Few players on the third and fourth line doesn't count really, Lehkonen and Evans are nothing to bring the chairs for the parade, they are just okay for nhl no more no less.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

So your idea to honor a guy who just died, is picking a kid he liked...while knowing that they were picking him in a league that doesn't have players picked....then knowing that this play would never amout to anything? See that scout's career isn't solely about that draft. And that player. You don't resume a guy's career by ''a guy he liked in the 7th in 2019''. It makes absolutely no sense. That guy alos liked players in 2018. 2017. 2016. 2015. You then salute a career dedicacing a whole draft. Not a pick in the 7th round...come on.

And again, for whoever will come up and say that we are making a big deal out of nothing, that it shouldn't be discussed and blah blah freakin blah...this is a thread that will NOT see a lot of updates. So don't worry. This thread will die soon. And forever in 4 years. If he doesn't retire before.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
So your idea to honor a guy who just died, is picking a kid he liked...while knowing that they were picking him in a league that doesn't have players picked....then knowing that this play would never amout to anything? See that scout's career isn't solely about that draft. And that player. You don't resume a guy's career by ''a guy he liked in the 7th in 2019''. It makes absolutely no sense. That guy alos liked players in 2018. 2017. 2016. 2015. You then salute a career dedicacing a whole draft. Not a pick in the 7th round...come on.

And again, for whoever will come up and say that we are making a big deal out of nothing, that it shouldn't be discussed and blah blah freakin blah...this is a thread that will NOT see a lot of updates. So don't worry. This thread will die soon. And forever in 4 years. If he doesn't retire before.

Habs hold his rights until June 1st 2021. So hopefully, it won't be long before this thread is locked.

Reactions: lou

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

Are you sure of that. Olofsson was drafted in the 7th round in 2014 six years ago and while it's too soon to say if he is a fluke or not he had a pretty good season and was one of the best rookie this year. HAd a solid AHL season the year before and was solid in Europe before that.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Are you sure of that. Olofsson was drafted in the 7th round in 2014 six years ago and while it's too soon to say if he is a fluke or not he had a pretty good season and was one of the best rookie this year. HAd a solid AHL season the year before and was solid in Europe before that.

Like I wrote before there will occasionally be a late round gem, but they're getting rarer and rarer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad