Prospect Info: [2019 - 206th] Kieran Ruscheinski (Not Signed - Rights Expire)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If it's someone Benning was scouting himself, I wouldn't call it insulting.

I agree to what WS said ealier. Honor him with the entire draft and select someone else with that pick. But I wouldn't call it insulting.

Well now we are talking about a joke of a prospect that was selected in his name vs. Everyone getting to hear the Caufield pick in his honor when they announced it.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Well now we are talking about a joke of a prospect that was selected in his name vs. Everyone getting to hear the Caufield pick in his honor when they announced it.

Clearly the kid is someone that this scout though might be a diamond in the rough. There would be no better way to honour a scout than to actually select a player that he was alone in believing in......is it really that complicated?

The fact is that RHP was also a wasted pick as he has so very little potential/upside.....just there to appease the local witch hunters.

Obviously there was not anyone left that they considered to be viable prospects so they made a pair of 7th round picks to check a couple of boxes that they wanted to check.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Clearly the kid is someone that this scout though might be a diamond in the rough. There would be no better way to honour a scout than to actually select a player that he was alone in believing in......is it really that complicated?

The fact is that RHP was also a wasted pick as he has so very little potential/upside.....just there to appease the local witch hunters.

Obviously there was not anyone left that they considered to be viable prospects so they made a pair of 7th round picks to check a couple of boxes that they wanted to check.

Yet they could have selected Samuel Hlavaj, Daniil Gutik or Pavel Gogolev. All of which had a resume worth selecting.. they chose a guy who cant even get a div 1 NCAA contract offer. They clearly knew he had no potential.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Yet they could have selected Samuel Hlavaj, Daniil Gutik or Pavel Gogolev. All of which had a resume worth selecting.. they chose a guy who cant even get a div 1 NCAA contract offer. They clearly knew he had no potential.

They clearly knew of Gutik, Gogolev and Hlavaj's resume and determined that they didn't have NHL upside. Junior resume's don't mean anything if they only have the skillset to exploit other kids at that level. This is the essence of scouting......numbers mean very little without eyes on scouting to provide clarity and context.

Chances are overwhelmingly in favor of none of these players having an NHL career of any significance. Ruscheinski was a player that this scout thought had a small chance based on his physical attributes to play in the NHL which is more than can be said about junior players who are limited to their current success.

The conversation is essentially a waste of time as all players involved are likely not worthy of the resulting attention. That being said I will always take homerun swings in the 7th round over players who, even if they reach their full potential are likely career minor leaguers.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
They clearly knew of Gutik, Gogolev and Hlavaj's resume and determined that they didn't have NHL upside. Junior resume's don't mean anything if they only have the skillset to exploit other kids at that level. This is the essence of scouting......numbers mean very little without eyes on scouting to provide clarity and context.

Chances are overwhelmingly in favor of none of these players having an NHL career of any significance. Ruscheinski was a player that this scout thought had a small chance based on his physical attributes to play in the NHL which is more than can be said about junior players who are limited to their current success.

The conversation is essentially a waste of time as all players involved are likely not worthy of the resulting attention. That being said I will always take homerun swings in the 7th round over players who, even if they reach their full potential are likely career minor leaguers.

We will see.. Gogolev at least have a NHL tool and speed, so theres something to work with and Samuel Hlavaj will get drafted this year, and he has all the attributes to be a goalie in the NHL. It's a matter of development and mental game for him.

When we have come out of drafts with 7th round picks like Evan's, Sergei Kostitsyn and Cayden Primeau, it seems ridiculous to be okay with them scratching a pick on an absolute nothing.

Trade them away, don't acquire a second 7th rounder.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

If this scout though Ruscheinski has any chance to reach the NHL then i question his employment by the team. I get it's only the 7th round and none of them will reach the NHL but Ruscheinski had no business being drafted by a NHL team. The guy is not even good enough for the CHL.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
If this scout though Ruscheinski has any chance to reach the NHL then i question his employment by the team. I get it's only the 7th round and none of them will reach the NHL but Ruscheinski had no business being drafted by a NHL team. The guy is not even good enough for the CHL.

He's also the scout that pushed for Gallagher.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
He's also the scout that pushed for Gallagher.

Which is why i said IF. I don't 100% believe this story. I think it's very convenient story to explain a very weird pick. Did the scout like the kid? Sure. Did he think the CH should draft him? We will never know for sure. It's a nice story though.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

You are conflating skill and ability........

Ruscheinski has the physical ability that projects to the NHL and this can not be taught. Unfortunately his skills don't seem to be developing but that is the difference......skill can be developed, especially with a kid who has not been playing the game for very long. This was a case where he selected a kid with a very high bust probability but conversely had a small chance to develop into an impactful NHLer . I will take that every day over a player with a decent shot at playing professional but having no shot at making an impact in the NHL.

I find it funny that people whine about Timmins being too safe and not swinging for home runs........but don't seem to understand that this is what home run swings in the 7th round look like (kids with big tools and little exposure).

Once again it is a 7th round pick and just because Timmins has been more successful than most in the 7th round does not mean that the same opportunity is there for him every season. It also shouldn't be a basis for criticism for Timmins that he had previous success and somehow shouldn't be given leeway to miss. Let's just obsess over a 7th round pick while pretending we had a clue who Norlinder, Romanov or Harris were in earlier rounds as well. Timmins is a top scout and deserves the benefit of the doubt when taking home run swings on dmen who are off of the radar.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
They never drafted him for anything but to pay homage. He sucks. No self respecting scout would have ever selected this guy for anything else.

He has no ability. He sucks at the level he played at. He sucks at the BCHL. He is so bad that even being drafted in the NHL by the Habs, he cant get a Div 1 invite to play in the NCAA.

Meanwhile Hlavaj was the best goalie in the QMJHL and flashed at all levels, the athletic ability to be a pro level goaltender.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Pro proud scouts, lol
I'd be really, really curious to know the thought process that goes into that sort of pick.

Drafting someone out of Midget is quite something.
Draft someone of Midget, so they wont call us "midgetophobia hockey organisation".
That was a joke around the table in a late meeting but the guy next day forgot that was originally a joke.

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
Ruscheinski has the physical ability that projects to the NHL and this can not be taught.
He's not a prospect. They didn't draft him for his tools or the home run swing, it was a novelty tribute pick. He had 11 points in midget AAA in his draft year and is going back for his draft+2 in Jr. A as an NHL drafted player who can't get an NCAA offer. He is 6'6 and had 6 assists in Jr. A during D+1.

If the rationale was just pick a big guy and hope they figure it out why are we trolling Midget AAA for a guy who had 11 points and can't skate? Why not just pick any number of the big 6'4+ guys from the CHL who at the very least have demonstrated an ability to play against guys who are at least two entire tiers of player above the competition Ruschienski faced in Midget AAA?

Jackson van de Leest, 6'7 - 229 and has two solid WHL seasons.
Theo Calvas, 6'5 and was pretty solid in the OHL.
Yegor Zamula, 6'4 was great in the WHL (and has skill!) and has signed with the Flyers as undrafted free agent.

If they were actually trying to do this home run swing with a coke machine they would have taken someone like van de Leest or any big DFD out of the CHL with a modicum of skill. It doesn't make any sense to take a guy who's bad in Midget AAA when you can draft big guys out of the best junior league in the world instead if you want to do that strategy.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
He's not a prospect. They didn't draft him for his tools or the home run swing, it was a novelty tribute pick. He had 11 points in midget AAA in his draft year and is going back for his draft+2 in Jr. A as an NHL drafted player who can't get an NCAA offer. He is 6'6 and had 6 assists in Jr. A during D+1.

If the rationale was just pick a big guy and hope they figure it out why are we trolling Midget AAA for a guy who had 11 points and can't skate? Why not just pick any number of the big 6'4+ guys from the CHL who at the very least have demonstrated an ability to play against guys who are at least two entire tiers of player above the competition Ruschienski faced in Midget AAA?

Jackson van de Leest, 6'7 - 229 and has two solid WHL seasons.
Theo Calvas, 6'5 and was pretty solid in the OHL.
Yegor Zamula, 6'4 was great in the WHL (and has skill!) and has signed with the Flyers as undrafted free agent.

If they were actually trying to do this home run swing with a coke machine they would have taken someone like van de Leest or any big DFD out of the CHL with a modicum of skill. It doesn't make any sense to take a guy who's bad in Midget AAA when you can draft big guys out of the best junior league in the world instead if you want to do that strategy.

So they just spun a wheel and it came up on Ruscheinski who was then paraded out as the tribute to the regional scout....?

What is wrong with people on this board? Ruscheinski had size and speed with next to no exposure and was relatively new to the game. The regional scout saw a long shot home run swing and MB took that swing in his honor......end of story.

How about spending more time commending Timmins for picking players that likely had you ranting on draft day but have proven to be tremendous picks over the last couple of drafts. I suspect attempting to crucify TT for a 7th round flier is more in line with the agenda that you are pushing.

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
I've never been accused of being a Timmins hater before, that's a new one.

And no actually I'm doing the opposite of crucifying him. I'm saying he's not a legitimate prospect just like Martin Brodeur's kid wasn't a legitimate prospect for the Devils and I don't judge it as I would a legitimate pick that wasn't done for a sentimental reason.

If they wanted a home run swing on a coke machine they'd have picked one of the guys who was already playing in a CHL top 4 instead of a guy who was struggling two levels below the CHL.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad