Prospect Info: [2019 - 206th] Kieran Ruscheinski (Not Signed - Rights Expire)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Interview with Montreal Canadiens Draft Pick Kieran Ruscheinski - Dominate Hockey

“During my season, Montreal started communicating with me, and I knew they started paying attention to me after the Mac’s tournament. I ended up attending Montreal’s private off-ice combine. That, in itself, was an excellent experience for me. I wasn’t expecting to get drafted. I thought the fact I had attended Montreal’s combine was a good step. On draft day, I was getting ready for work, and I got a call from my advisor saying I got selected by Montreal in the 7th round. I froze, I didn’t know what to say. It was a huge day for my family, but I realize that this is just the beginning.”

“The decision between Spruce Grove and Salmon Arm was probably the toughest decision I’ve had to make in my hockey career. I chose Salmon Arm because it’s farther away from Calgary, so it would force me to grow up as a person and see how I could handle living away from home.”

“I understood the benefits of the NCAA route, and it’d allow me to grow into my body and enable me to develop my game. I want to stick with my process of trying to earn an NCAA scholarship, go to school, earn a college degree, so I do have a backup plan.”

Note to Kieran...school is not your backup plan....it's your only plan.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
First off, don’t roast me, second off, what do you guys mean he was drafted for other reasons than to play in the NHL?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I have a question. Why was Kieran Ruscheinski the In Memoriam pick? Is he related to the scout that passed away?

Elmer Benning scouted him and somewhat liked him.

First off, don’t roast me, second off, what do you guys mean he was drafted for other reasons than to play in the NHL?

The pick was made in memory of Elmer Benning who died before the draft.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I have a question. Why was Kieran Ruscheinski the In Memoriam pick? Is he related to the scout that passed away?

I just think he was the 'best' player he had an eye on.

Why they wouldn't have announced the Caufield pick in front of everyone in his honor.. well, that I can't tell you.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

My guess? Elmer Benning was a scout for Western Canada. So it's possible that Ruscheinski was someone Benning had his eye on and had shared his notes and opinion on the kid.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Salmon Arm has started their camp. Ruscheinski isn't officially listed on their roster for next season. But I think he's there. Today they're doing off-ice training.

I believe he's the one in the red shirt in this picture (but I could be mistaken):
EhU9sWkWkAEJzqA
EhU9vWOWsAAwh_G

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
This is a coke machine from Midget AAA who couldn't produce there.

This one I will hate on.

How can anyone tell me with a straight face, that this kid deserves to be picked over Daniil Gutik who was the second best player on the Russian Hlinka team behind Podkolzin?

I don’t think Gutik was eligible for the draft. Is first draft will be 2020.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
He wasn't doing much production-wise last year. He got hurt and missed about 2 months. When he returned, he played 6 regular season games and 4 playoff games. He had 3 pts (all assists) in those 6 regular season games and he had 1 goal in those 4 playoff games. So in total since coming back from injury, he had 4 pts (1G, 3A) in 10 GP.

His rights expire next June, so it will be interesting what happens to him (okay not THAT interesting). But maybe they do with him what they did with Henrikson? Arvid's rights were expiring this summer, but the Habs retained his rights even if he was not signed.

Kieran is not committed to an NCAA school for next year. And he hasn't been drafted in either the USHL or the CHL. So there is no saying where he ends up next year.

Reactions: Whitesnake

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
He wasn't doing much production-wise last year. He got hurt and missed about 2 months. When he returned, he played 6 regular season games and 4 playoff games. He had 3 pts (all assists) in those 6 regular season games and he had 1 goal in those 4 playoff games. So in total since coming back from injury, he had 4 pts (1G, 3A) in 10 GP.

His rights expire next June, so it will be interesting what happens to him (okay not THAT interesting). But maybe they do with him what they did with Henrikson? Arvid's rights were expiring this summer, but the Habs retained his rights even if he was not signed.

Kieran is not committed to an NCAA school for next year. And he hasn't been drafted in either the USHL or the CHL. So there is no saying where he ends up next year.

I will always say this...and yes, I'm shutting up real soon on that subject, the day we don't re-sign him will be my last rant....why the f*** do you go and pick the worst player you might have ever pick...in order to pay tribute to a longtime scout who just died. And you decide to do that, not only for one of the worst players, but at the 7th round too when nobody listens or watches.

How about you decide to honor him by, in the 1st round, dedicate the whole draft to him. And make as great picks possible on every round.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I will always say this...and yes, I'm shutting up real soon on that subject, the day we don't re-sign him will be my last rant....why the f*** do you go and pick the worst player you might have ever pick...in order to pay tribute to a longtime scout who just died. And you decide to do that, not only for one of the worst players, but at the 7th round too when nobody listens or watches.

How about you decide to honor him by, in the 1st round, dedicate the whole draft to him. And make as great picks possible on every round.

I agree. Especially when you realize that other players went undrafted who would right now look like real great picks for the 7th round (Sokolov & Gogolev are two examples).

The reason I think they honored him with that specific pick is that Elmer Benning was their scout in Western Canada. So maybe Ruscheisnki was one of those kids he scouted out of the AJHL.

But I agree with you that they could have dedicated the entire draft to him and used that pick and someone else.

Reactions: Whitesnake
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad