Prospect Info: [2019 - 206th] Kieran Ruscheinski (Not Signed - Rights Expire)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I find it hilarious that the article mentions Ruscheinski and Parayko in the same breath. Parayko played NCAA immediately after getting drafted. Ruscheinski is going to be playing his D+2 in the BCHL. Laughable pick.
Parayko went undrafted his first year though.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I find it hilarious that the article mentions Ruscheinski and Parayko in the same breath. Parayko played NCAA immediately after getting drafted. Ruscheinski is going to be playing his D+2 in the BCHL. Laughable pick.

I think the reason for the ''comparison'' is because they're both big bodied defensemen and both were drafted out of the AJHL.

And as @Treb mentioned, Parayko was drafted in his second year of eligibility, whereas Ruscheinski was drafted in his first year of eligibility.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I think the reason for the ''comparison'' is because they're both big bodied defensemen and both were drafted out of the AJHL.

And as @Treb mentioned, Parayko was drafted in his second year of eligibility, whereas Ruscheinski was drafted in his first year of eligibility.

Thing is....Ruscheinski would not be drafted this year even at his D+1. While Parayko had shown improvement from D to D+1, statswise.

Yes, stats aren't everything. Yet again, look at every player that succeeded, just playing in the NHL no matter the line they play on,, they showed stats. The ones that didn't are an exception.

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Why is anyone talking about him.

He was an in memoriam pick. He was not drafted because theres upside.

Anyone actually following his.. uh.. career. Is wasting their time.

It was a gesture. Not a selection.

Still insane that it was a gesture. To honor somebody, let's make our worst pick in history.....

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Thing is....Ruscheinski would not be drafted this year even at his D+1. While Parayko had shown improvement from D to D+1, statswise.

Yes, stats aren't everything. Yet again, look at every player that succeeded, just playing in the NHL no matter the line they play on,, they showed stats. The ones that didn't are an exception.

I agree with you. I'm not justifying the Ruscheinski/Parayko comparison. I'm only offering why I think they chose to compare Ruscheinski to Parayko in the article. It's that they're both big defensemen (both at 6'6'' and overt 200 lbs) and both drafted out of the AJHL. That's all they pretty much have in common.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
he had 6 assists in the BCHL

Parayko is coming folks

His production was definitely a huge let down.

However, after missing 2 months due to injury, he came back and had 3 pts (all assists) in the final 6 games of the season. And he had 1 goal in 4 playoff games. So in the last 10 games before it all stopped, he had 4 pts (1G, 3A).

Reactions: Fazkovsky

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Other teams waste picks for honor/gimmick too:
Anthony Brodeur at eliteprospects.com
Andong Song at eliteprospects.com
c - Wikipedia

Benning liked the kid.

Would I have been happier with another pick (like let's say Oksentyuk)? Yes.

Do I think this is boiling blood worthy? No.

Why do you say Song was a gimmick? Him being the first Chinese player has nothing to do with it. Why in the world would the Isles make it a priority in their draft to get the first chinese player? Where's the publicity stunt?

Brodeur? Sure it has to do with his father. Maybe the greatest goalie to have ever played. Still...in the 7th round? Maybe you take a chance on the bloodlines AND he had a fine season in the USHS. So real gimmick pick was the fake japanese. I hope Imlach had his fun while guys like Lumley or Persson could have been chosen instead.....

But even if we would agree that they are all gimmicks....that's actually 3 in how many years? Why play that game?

End of the world? Nope. Not the end of the world. This is a hockey board. There's no hockey since I don't remember when. And I don't miss it that much. So it's not boiling blood worthy. Yet, in a world where the GM and his scouting group whine continuously that the draft is hard and a crapshoot even late 1st round....I have no idea why you make that crapshoot harder by picking a guy that you know will never amount to anything just because your deceased scout liked him......Again, I want to REALLY honour my deceased scout? When I go on the stage and pick my 1st round pick in front of the world...I dedicate the ENTIRE draft to him. That's honouring somebody.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Why do you say Song was a gimmick? Him being the first Chinese player has nothing to do with it. Why in the world would the Isles make it a priority in their draft to get the first chinese player? Where's the publicity stunt?

Brodeur? Sure it has to do with his father. Maybe the greatest goalie to have ever played. Still...in the 7th round? Maybe you take a chance on the bloodlines AND he had a fine season in the USHS. So real gimmick pick was the fake japanese. I hope Imlach had his fun while guys like Lumley or Persson could have been chosen instead.....

But even if we would agree that they are all gimmicks....that's actually 3 in how many years? Why play that game?

End of the world? Nope. Not the end of the world. This is a hockey board. There's no hockey since I don't remember when. And I don't miss it that much. So it's not boiling blood worthy. Yet, in a world where the GM and his scouting group whine continuously that the draft is hard and a crapshoot even late 1st round....I have no idea why you make that crapshoot harder by picking a guy that you know will never amount to anything just because your deceased scout liked him......Again, I want to REALLY honour my deceased scout? When I go on the stage and pick my 1st round pick in front of the world...I dedicate the ENTIRE draft to him. That's honouring somebody.

Song was an attempt to get China interested in hockey. It worked a little a bit as a few millions tuned in to watch the draft.
Song loves Lidstrom, pressure of being a pioneer
Longmou Li of Chinese television station CCTV was part of a camera crew that's been following Song for three years. He said there was a lot of anticipation in China to see when Song would be picked.
"We didn't go live for the first round but we're live for the second round," Li said. "And on a Saturday night at 10 p.m., I heard it reached 2.5 million people waiting for his news."

Song was not a legitimate prospect and would have never been drafted if he was American or Canadian. The guy had 3 points in 100 games in the USHL in his D+2 and D+3 years. He was dressed for 2 games (but did not play a shift) in the NCAA in his D+4 season as a freshman. He played 1 exhibition game in 2019-2020 and 0 regular season games as a D+5.

As far as gimmicks, there is probably others I am not privy to.

Anyway, we will just never agree on this so might as well stop this here.

Reactions: Newfoundland

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Song was an attempt to get China interested in hockey. It worked a little a bit as a few millions tuned in to watch the draft.
Song loves Lidstrom, pressure of being a pioneer

Song was not a legitimate prospect and would have never been drafted if he was American or Canadian. The guy had 3 points in 100 games in the USHL in his D+2 and D+3 years. He was dressed for 2 games (but did not play a shift) in the NCAA in his D+4 season as a freshman. He played 1 exhibition game in 2019-2020 and 0 regular season games as a D+5.

As far as gimmicks, there is probably others I am not privy to.

Anyway, we will just never agree on this so might as well stop this here.

LIke I said, let say there were all gimmicks. I have no idea how paying tribute to your scout that was just deceased is to do it while nobody listens and just because he liked a player. Pay him tribute on the stage on day 1.

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
what I find ironic is that prospects who are drafted in the 200's and never expected to play in the NHL get way more attention on here than actual good prospects.

Reactions: abo9

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Wasn't Wong still owner of the team at that time? And isn't he of Chinese descent.

Reactions: Garnet76

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
He was a very late round pick so at the end of the day, whatever.

But I imagine I'm one of the few who watched him live this year, and I have to say I continue to be baffled by this pick. And that's not due to his glaring inability to play at even the BCHL level, but more so because Benning's grandson is a bonafide NHL prospect.

Taking (Mike) Benning would not only be a stronger way to honour Elmer's legacy, but it would also address our relative dearth of PMD's on the right side. Sure, there's no certainty he is on the board at a point that makes 100% sense for us, but making the guy's grandson a priority seems a far stronger gesture if you are talking about honouring a great.

Nepotism? Sure. Justifiable? Absolutely.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan

But I imagine I'm one of the few who watched him live this year, and I have to say I continue to be baffled by this pick. And that's not due to his glaring inability to play at even the BCHL level, but more so because Benning's grandson is a bonafide NHL prospect.

Taking (Mike) Benning would not only be a stronger way to honour Elmer's legacy, but it would also address our relative dearth of PMD's on the right side. Sure, there's no certainty he is on the board at a point that makes 100% sense for us, but making the guy's grandson a priority seems a far stronger gesture if you are talking about honouring a great.

We took Audette back in the day when his dad was part of the organization, we've already crossed that bridge ;)

Reactions: MasterD

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

For me, it's obvious they honored Benning with this pick because Benning was scouting western Canada for the Habs since forever. And it's possible that before he passed, he was putting Ruscheinki over to the organization.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Michael Benning was not eligible in 2019 though. Could be a Habs pick in the 2nd/3rd this year though.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Interview with Montreal Canadiens Draft Pick Kieran Ruscheinski - Dominate Hockey

“During my season, Montreal started communicating with me, and I knew they started paying attention to me after the Mac’s tournament. I ended up attending Montreal’s private off-ice combine. That, in itself, was an excellent experience for me. I wasn’t expecting to get drafted. I thought the fact I had attended Montreal’s combine was a good step. On draft day, I was getting ready for work, and I got a call from my advisor saying I got selected by Montreal in the 7th round. I froze, I didn’t know what to say. It was a huge day for my family, but I realize that this is just the beginning.”

“The decision between Spruce Grove and Salmon Arm was probably the toughest decision I’ve had to make in my hockey career. I chose Salmon Arm because it’s farther away from Calgary, so it would force me to grow up as a person and see how I could handle living away from home.”

“I understood the benefits of the NCAA route, and it’d allow me to grow into my body and enable me to develop my game. I want to stick with my process of trying to earn an NCAA scholarship, go to school, earn a college degree, so I do have a backup plan.”

Reactions: dralaf

sharknado

Aug 22, 2014
He has the size and strength, we know that.

What he needs is:
-Skating
-Smarts/Poise
-First pass
-Decent enough shot

And he can make the NHL. I have no idea how this player even got noticed by Timmins and co. but who knows if he even has just the skating, it becomes an interesting pick. I hope we get more info on him.

Every player out there needs those so why pick this kid over the millions of other kids that need the same.

habsfan92

Jun 5, 2005
winnipeg
Maybe they can stun the hockey world by selecting someone out the Quebec beer league- TT-"This guy is a hidden gem, a diamond in the ruff!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad