Prospect Info: [2019 - 206th] Kieran Ruscheinski (Not Signed - Rights Expire)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
The BCHL is such an odd league. Two teams churn out some talent, the rest are just ... below average teams.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
The BCHL is such an odd league. Two teams churn out some talent, the rest are just ... below average teams.

It's pretty much populated by guys going the NCAA route who aren't pro prospects, correct?

Which are the two teams?

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
It's pretty much populated by guys going the NCAA route who aren't pro prospects, correct?

Which are the two teams?

Pretty much. Its for kids that can't make the WHL, or are decent (not great) players that want a free college ride. Pencticton and Victoria turn out the odd player, Vernon used to but its been a while since they have. Prince George has had some good teams the last 4 years as well.

I'm not trying to insult the kids that play there, god knows you have to be a decent player, but the step from the BCHL to the WHL is enormous.

Reactions: Tighthead

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Pretty much. Its for kids that can't make the WHL, or are decent (not great) players that want a free college ride. Pencticton and Victoria turn out the odd player, Vernon used to but its been a while since they have. Prince George has had some good teams the last 4 years as well.

I'm not trying to insult the kids that play there, god knows you have to be a decent player, but the step from the BCHL to the WHL is enormous.

A family friend is playing for Cow Valley as a 16 year old - he was a high pick in the WHL but I don't know if he is on track or not. I get the impression very few kids are sure things to even make the WHL.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
A family friend is playing for Cow Valley as a 16 year old - he was a high pick in the WHL but I don't know if he is on track or not. I get the impression very few kids are sure things to even make the WHL.

That is not unusual in the BCHL, sometimes a drafted WHL player can play there till they get called up etc. I also have a friend of mines kid who is drafted in the WHL but plays in the BCHL to get ice time when possible.

Jul 6, 2016
I think your expectations for late picks are out of whack or else 99% of them should be considered wasted picks.

Primeau was also a 7th round pick, by the way.

If they can find a Primeau or a Halak, they can also do better than this Alberta league kid for sure.

Reactions: CapSpace

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Wasted late pick... as usual.

It was an In Memoriam pick for their deceased scout. I think they should have paid homage to him before announcing the Caufield pick vs. wasting a pick on this guy when you could have taken Hlavaj (one of the best goalies in the Q this year) or Gogolev (a sniper with tons of speed playing with Hillis).

Reactions: John B

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It was an In Memoriam pick for their deceased scout. I think they should have paid homage to him before announcing the Caufield pick vs. wasting a pick on this guy when you could have taken Hlavaj (one of the best goalies in the Q this year) or Gogolev (a sniper with tons of speed playing with Hillis).

yea that would have been better, we'll see what happens to this kid but they surely did some odd stuff at the draft that hopefully they don't do going forward.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I think your expectations for late picks are out of whack or else 99% of them should be considered wasted picks.

Guys like Primeau are exception but there are plenty of guy that slip or go undrafted every year, and they aren’t hinded gems they are just bypass for what ever reason. There had to be better prospect, this just seem like the wildest most random pick since Conor Crisps...

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax

Well exactly, in recent years a 7th round could be Primeau or Evans, and even Stapley had a solid freshman year and is now PPG in his 2nd NCAA season. It could be locking in a good QMJHL overager like Harvey-Pinard if you don't think there's much left and you want to get his rights instead of gambling on signing him as a UFA. It's not that we should expect every 7th to turn into Primeau/Evans but even if they didn't turn into legitimate prospects at least it's a worthwhile gamble to pick a goalie who scouts well with meh stats or a guy with good numbers in Jr. A.

I think taking a guy out of Midget AAA with 11 points who looks like Bambi when he skates is a bad pick even for the 7th round.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Sucks that the Habs decided to pick the least interesting player and one we already know will never play in the pros since Timmins came in IN HONOUR of our deceased scout....

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Wasted late pick... as usual.

What's the profile of a successful 7th round pick?

Is there even one?

With Primeau they went sigging where no on else went. His high school coach said no one went to talk with him because of his numbers.

I kind of like that they went digging. But I always expect our 6th and 7th round picks to bust. We haven't had 1 successful 6th round pick, and only Streit, Halak, and Primeau have panned out after the 6th round. And we'rr probably at least top 10 or 5 in the league for finding that much talent after the 6th round.

Reactions: Acadien86

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
That is not unusual in the BCHL, sometimes a drafted WHL player can play there till they get called up etc. I also have a friend of mines kid who is drafted in the WHL but plays in the BCHL to get ice time when possible.

I went to so many Chilliwack Chiefs games in the late 80's to early 90's, mostly to see girls from the schools I didn't go to, but also because I like hockey. I do remember seeing Paul Kariya on Penticton, but was too young to have seen Brett Hull.

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
What's the profile of a successful 7th round pick?

Is there even one?
There's not really a template for success in the 7th but Evans/Stapley/Primeau were all good picks and IMO Harvey-Pinard was fine even if he becomes nothing. I'll lump Dichow and Khisamutdinov in as "digging" picks where they went off the board. I don't have any issue if they're digging for Jr. A stars, USHL goalies with meh stats who scout well, good QMJHL overagers, MHL overagers with some KHL games, or big Danish goalies signed to a good Swedish team with good int'l stats are all worthwhile gambles. Guys playing in good leagues or with good international experience and/or interesting tools that are hard to find.

I think digging for a guy with 11 points in Midget AAA is a bit of a different thing. I'm definitely relieved to learn that this was an in memoriam pick, as much as it frustrates me that teams do this stuff (or NJD drafting Brodeur's kid etc) it's better than the alternative of the team thinking this was actually a reasonable gamble.

Last edited:
Reactions: LaP
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad