2019-2020 WHL regular season thread

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Giants send Plouffe and Svejkovsky + a couple 3rds to Med Hat for Longo/Prezuiso and a 2020 1st + 5th.

Pretty big trade.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions

Rockets loading up for the Memorial Cup. McDonald had been gone from the Oil Kings since early November for personal reasons, must have wanted a move closer to home. Sucks for them when they’re having a good season but that’s a solid return and it opens up an OA spot for them.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Wonder what kind of backdoor deals Brucey has in store

Word from Brandon is they are looking at Luka Burzan and Jiri Patera from Brandon. But Patera is a 20 and unlikely to get moved now I am guessing since they picked up McDonald. But I am really think Brandon is going to be strong after the winter break. They finally got Kallonkelli in the lineup and the line with him/Buzan/McCartney have looked dominate.

Reactions: wgpsensfan

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
Kamloops will be looking for another piece for their backend and into the top 6. It's going to be a really fun second half!

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Word from Brandon is they are looking at Luka Burzan and Jiri Patera from Brandon. But Patera is a 20 and unlikely to get moved now I am guessing since they picked up McDonald. But I am really think Brandon is going to be strong after the winter break. They finally got Kallonkelli in the lineup and the line with him/Buzan/McCartney have looked dominate.
I agree. I really like what they have. They have prospect and draft capital to add a piece. Saskatoon without Dach doesn't scare me and PA is coming back to the pack. Winnipeg can't win on the road.

Speaking of Winnipeg, did their ownership over estimate the market? Capacity is 1600 and other than Brandon games they don't sell out. Plus aren't they paying a lease in Cranbrook still? You seem pretty knowledgeable Joe any thoughts?

canucklax

Feb 9, 2018
Truth be told, Malette should of been head coach in the first place.
You're probably right, I was very surprised they hired Foote when his only coaching experience was coaching his son's minor hockey teams. Obviously the experiment didnt work out.

forget

Jul 6, 2019
What a comeback by the Giants tonight. The building was going mental when they tied it up and then got the go ahead goal. Tied their regular season record for most wins in a row.

Reactions: wetcoast

canucklax

Feb 9, 2018
With Wylie now signed, Everett has all 3 of their overagers signed to NHL contracts, when is the last time that happened?

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I'm looking at the roster the Hitmen had this year. How did they finish with a wildcard? They look like they should be at or near the top.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I am surprised that seeing this year was cancelled, that the CHL wouldnt just give Kelowna next seasons Memorial Cup. Too bad that it just doesnt happen cause now they go back East as planned.

What a waste of money and time for Kelowna preparing their bid and starting the preparation for the Memorial Cup

passive voice

Jun 16, 2009
I am surprised that seeing this year was cancelled, that the CHL wouldnt just give Kelowna next seasons Memorial Cup. Too bad that it just doesnt happen cause now they go back East as planned.

What a waste of money and time for Kelowna preparing their bid and starting the preparation for the Memorial Cup

it's better for everyone involved that Kelowna be nowhere near a mem cup for a bit

canucklax

Feb 9, 2018

Kelowna was already looking like a weak host and I think next year would be even worse for icing a team. They spent a lot on bringing in overagers and are probably losing Foote to pro hockey as well as possibly Hamaliuk.

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
Kelowna was already looking like a weak host and I think next year would be even worse for icing a team. They spent a lot on bringing in overagers and are probably losing Foote to pro hockey as well as possibly Hamaliuk.

Hamaliuk really didn't do anything in Kelowna. How he got signed is beyond me.

Foote has never impressed me. Soft player, lazy. But will probably be in the AHL because he is signed.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
could anybody who regularly watches Brandon comment on how Schneider would compare to Provorov and Pulock in their draft seasons?

wheatiefan

Feb 7, 2014
Different type of defenceman.Not as good offensively than the two P's,but more aggressive,very good defensively. He is bigger than the two P's and does have some offensive upside as he is very good skater.I am sure he will develop as nicely as the other two have.

Reactions: wetcoast

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
So jelly that the Q is just a couple of weeks away from starting their regular season... man, I hope the dub gets off the ground this year.

Reactions: e14

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
So jelly that the Q is just a couple of weeks away from starting their regular season... man, I hope the dub gets off the ground this year.
BCHL has committed to play without fans, but are charging their players to make up the revenue difference (although the assumption is that Wenatchee will not play). Wonder if the WHL would consider or is considering something similar. I don't know how adamant the PHOs in Saskatchewan and Manitoba are being about gatherings of more than 50 people, but BC's has essentially said there are going to be no exceptions until there's a vaccine.

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
BCHL has committed to play without fans, but are charging their players to make up the revenue difference (although the assumption is that Wenatchee will not play). Wonder if the WHL would consider or is considering something similar. I don't know how adamant the PHOs in Saskatchewan and Manitoba are being about gatherings of more than 50 people, but BC's has essentially said there are going to be no exceptions until there's a vaccine.

It's very hard to feel bad, when you have millionaire and billionaire owners in the CHL that act like they will be broke.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020

"BCHL has committed to play without fans, but are charging their players to make up the revenue difference"... ouch, that is adding insult to injury for the kids.

Interestingly, the MJHL is going to be playing with fans. AFAIK the teams haven't released details regarding capacity restrictions although I'm assuming it will be under 50% for sure, and probably significantly less than that.

One thing I found peculiar is that at least one of the teams went out of its way to emphasize that masks will not be required which I think is irresponsible. By contrast, the Winnipeg teams, the Blues and the Freeze, which share a venue, have said that masks will be mandatory. I plan to attend some Blues/Freeze games but I wouldn't be doing it in a masks-optional setting... I realize others may not be as cautious, though.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Wow this thread has just died, which is sad.

Giants beat the Winterhawks last night in a weird game.

giants score the first 6 goals then give up the next 5 in a 6-5 win,.

I can't recall ever seeing anything like that before.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->