Rumor: 2019-2020 Trade Rumours and Free Agent Discussion Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
And it's not just speed, it's strength on his skates and it's also maneuverability that Jost lacks, that's yet another reason he's absolutely worthless battling for the puck along the boards. Even Steven frickin' Reinprecht (who I thought was a reasonably good NHL center but atrocious as a winger) was worlds better than Jost.
When I’m talking skating I’m talking overall more than outride speed. But yeah he’s just so average in skating and as a smaller player, it’s very hard to be an impact player with that combo.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Enough of this. We know what Jost's shortcomings are and we know he hasn't displayed anything to truly suggest he's going to overcome them. We are talking about Year Three and there's been virtually no sustained progress whatsoever. People can slag Kerf all they want but he has one thing Jost doesn't--skating ability.

Enough of what? Facts? I didn't say anything about how Jost has played, I simply stated he's still two years younger than Kerfoot was as a rookie. I even acknowledged you might end up being right. This place is drunk with vitriol.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Poke is the king of shouting people down for minor issues/disagreements.

I think I'm only the Prince Regent of that...the king is probably someone who got banned.

Honestly, though, we've had two full NHL seasons and we're a few games into this one--and if there had been real, honest-to-god progress/development, I'd be optimistic. But what have we seen? Nothing. His skating hasn't improved, his strength hasn't improved, his shot hasn't improved, he's virtually the same exact player he was when he started. Too slow, too easily knocked around, and without the substantial hockey IQ or ripper of a shot to make up for those two major shortcomings. I just don't understand how anyone can think at this point that he's going to "break out." Apart from very, very brief flashes, he's done nothing to prove he's anything more than a marginal bottom six forward, if that.

Apologies for any sort of harshness on my part--I know I come on a little strong sometimes. But I don't think we need to "wait" to compare Kerf and Jost. One is clearly better, and it has much, much more to do with skating ability than any sort of age or development issue.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
We are probably close to the point (not at, but within a year) where Jos't breakout is becoming a complimentary middle 6 forward like Kerfoot is. I'm hoping he'll settle into the #3C role this year. He's going to have to beat out Compher to get that though. Compher may not be the best player in the world, but he's proven to be a solid 3rd liner at least. Soon after, Bowers will be on Jost's heels (and maybe Newhook if the Avs force him to center). Jost really has his work cut out for him and it has to start turning around soon.

Reactions: flyfysher

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
The most telling stat should be the record of the team, though, right?
upload_2019-10-17_20-55-58.gif

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Be careful with small sample sizes ;)

If that was all that mattered, Bordy would have won Cups!

I hear what you are saying, but wasn’t there a huge discrepancy last year when we had him in the lineup vs. when we didn’t?

I’m a bit old school in my thinking about how to build a team and realize the game has changed a lot over the last 20 years, but I still think there’s something to it.

On one hand you have defensive gaffes and penalties. On the other hand you have a 4/5 defender who gives the rest of the team more confidence and swagger. The only way to quantify the last bit of that is by looking at the team’s record, really.

If I’m Sakic I keep him around. I hope Bednar knows what he is doing with him.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I hear what you are saying, but wasn’t there a huge discrepancy last year when we had him in the lineup vs. when we didn’t?

I’m a bit old school in my thinking about how to build a team and realize the game has changed a lot over the last 20 years, but I still think there’s something to it.

On one hand you have defensive gaffes and penalties. On the other hand you have a 4/5 defender who gives the rest of the team more confidence and swagger. The only way to quantify the last bit of that is by looking at the team’s record, really.

I’m completely good with keeping him until he becomes too expensive. No reason to send him to the moon without reason.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Apologies for any sort of harshness on my part--I know I come on a little strong sometimes.

Um, yeah. Especially when it comes to Jost. I can't believe you're all over him like you are but you're in Kerfoot's corner til death. LOL.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I understand you have your double standard so I make allowances accordingly.:sarcasm:
I would agree with you if it wasn't for the fact that Jost sucks on this team. There is not one single spot for him on this roster where he can make any type of impact. I've said several times that he's an NHL'r. He's just not good enough to be taking a spot on THIS team. He looks better as a center, but Compher is better as a 3rd line center. He's terrible as a 2nd line winger and I'd much rather have both Wilson and Nichuskin playing than him as wingers on the bottom two lines. Hell, I'd rather have either of them playing before Jost on the 2nd line.

I really do believe his niche in the league is to be a decent player on a rebuilding team. Think of him as a harder working Tyler Arnasson or a much less talented but harder working Wojtek Wolski.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002

Back in the day, i remember the team having a much better record when Scott Parker was in the lineup vs without him.

We all know Scott Parker couldn't play hockey, so it was a bit of a "mystery".

Of course Zadorov is a much better player, but i think his biggest attribute to the team right now is as a modern day enforcer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5280

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
True. I take Calvert over both of these guys. Hard and soul guy and produces a bit offensively.

Calvert is underrated and looks great because he's playing in a perfect role right now. But I wouldn't take him over Jost when you account for potential. I still think Jost will score 35-45 points this season while not being a liability defensively like Kerfoot.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
A team I really want to keep an eye on is Columbus. They’re in rough shape, have a shortage of picks and prospects and have a long history of making deals with us. If they start falling out of playoff contention I’d be checking in.

I think the Avs need some playoff style, physical players who also bring a touch of offense. There’s two guys on that Columbus team I’d love to add. The first is Josh Anderson. Bednar loves him. He does all the things I like. Still young, RFA. It’s pretty self explanatory.

The other is their captain. Weird trade target. He’s a little older. But if they blow it up who knows. Just two years left so we don’t have to worry about his contract turning ugly. Versatile. Can play any of the 3 forward positions. Hits, scores, great leader. Its very unlikely the Jackets trade their captain but I f we can somehow add Nick Foligno to our team for the next two years it would be one hell of an addition. If his name hits the market but him at the top of my list.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Columbus' downfall has been grossly exaggerated. They will certainly make a couple moves this year to shuffle that team around, but it is likely to be on defense with one of Murray or Savard moving out. The forward I could see them moving is Jenner.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
The difference between jost and kerfoot is more than just money.

Actually the difference is in the criticism. When we saw 'Meh type play' from both players, our commentary was essentially,

Kerfoot is a bad player. Trade him.
Jost is a horrible player and human being! Draw and quarter him!

Just kidding.:rolleyes: But part of the criticism is the position that Jost was drafted at and his failure to break out so far despite repeated chances so I get where people are coming from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->