Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
A depth player is a 13-14th forward or 7-8th Dman. If this is your view of Z then I disagree, Z is a everyday player on any team.

I think that's a bit overly obstinate. A depth player is not someone who's in the press box more often than not. Those are just "extra" players. A depth player is generally regarded as anyone beyond the top two scoring lines or top two pairings on D. And really, Z is more of a bottom pairing guy on a contending team. He is, at best, a #4 defenseman, and frankly I think that role sometimes overwhelms him.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I think that's a bit overly obstinate. A depth player is not someone who's in the press box more often than not. Those are just "extra" players. A depth player is generally regarded as anyone beyond the top two scoring lines or top two pairings on D. And really, Z is more of a bottom pairing guy on a contending team. He is, at best, a #4 defenseman, and frankly I think that role sometimes overwhelms him.
We just have different definitions of depth players, that’s ok.

- TheHockeyNews

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It's really too bad, because Z is a great defenseman to put a D core over the top in a Cup run, especially with his physical presence in the playoffs, but he also might be the most likely/realistic player a team asks for in trade, and the most likely D man Sakic would move given their depth on D, his expiring contract, and the looming expansion draft.

I think a lot of whether Z stays or goes depends on how well Cole looks this year post double hip surgery. They play a very similar, hard to play against role on the left side. I thought Cole was moving around the ice fairly well his first game back, but we've got a long way to go.

Reactions: flyfysher

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
On one hand Zadorov+ for Drouin makes some sense.

On the other hand, Drouin looks great and Chiarot essentially fills the Zadorov role (not quite as nasty but also not as risky).

I also think this team gets absolutely walked over in the playoffs if we trade Z and don’t have anyone else to fill that void.
Would have to be up there for softest team in the NHL. Guys like Watson, Tkachuk, Reaves, etc would have a blast in a playoff series doing whatever they wanted with no one on the Avs to
intervene. Would be hard to watch. Tkachuk already tried doing that game 1 last year before Zadorov broke him.

The only reason Zadorov should be traded is if he wants out. His value won’t be high enough to bring back a top-6 winger, and he is literally a one of kind defenceman in the NHL right now. Value in Colorado>Value in NHL.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Cale has also thrown 1 massive hit! So clearly he can replace Barrie and Z to please everyone here!

He's actually thrown a few big hits this season, just like Carvel said he would. Including a big reverse hit in the D zone that I'm not sure anyone caught because the camera only got the first part of it. Haynes and McNab didn't catch it and they never showed a replay, but you could hear the crowd cheering loudly.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Get off your high horse.

Look at this website and their use of “depth player”.

- TheHockeyNews

I don't see who's on a high horse. General consensus on what a depth player is usually means anyone who isn't regarded as a star. I don't get where you or anyone else (including the rag that employs Ken Campbell) would see it differently.

In any event, I think we can agree that Z should not be a press box regular. To me "depth defenseman" is a third pairing guy. And that's what Z is.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
NHL depth players are bottom pairing, bottom line, and backup goalies. Third line gets a bit questionable with their roles and high importance for a #3C, but I could be convinced either way on them. Then you get to organizational depth players that are your extras and high end AHL guys that are there to insulate the youth.

At best Z is an inconsistent 4/5 defensemen. Most would place him as a good bottom pairing guy. To me, him and Makar don't work together because they both have too much risk to their game. Z's is just the way he is. Makar is too early into his career to see how much risk is inherent in his NHL game. In lower levels, he's been so good that his risk has been mitigated by his skill level being so high. I believe that his mindset will adjust to the NHL and within a season or so, he will take a lot of that risk out. Right now it is just a bit much for both of them. Cole can add some safety to Makar until he figures it out. Now I believe that Girard would fit well next to Makar and clean up a lot of that risk, but NHL coaches just have a hard time consistently throwing out two undersized defensemen constantly... especially where there is size available elsewhere on the roster.

Reactions: 5280

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I don't see who's on a high horse. General consensus on what a depth player is usually means anyone who isn't regarded as a star. I don't get where you or anyone else (including the rag that employs Ken Campbell) would see it differently.

In any event, I think we can agree that Z should not be a press box regular. To me "depth defenseman" is a third pairing guy. And that's what Z is.
Words can have different meanings sometimes. That’s all I pointed out in my post. I wanted to make sure that we agreed on the concept. There is no consensus on depth, 1st line, generational, etc.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
This is where people get irrational about Z... it certainly can be evaluated, for the good and for the bad.
Evaluated, but not quantified.

You can’t quantify Gaudreau being scared shitless and looking over his shoulder everything he’s on the ice. The only quantifiable piece of info there is 1. The number of points Gaudreau scores in the playoffs last year. But that only shows up in Gaudreau’s stat column, not Z.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Don’t know what’s pissing me off most - our play, the refs or the pens.

All I know is that all 5-8 of me is ready to lace em up and give the pens a piece of my mind....:help:

Reactions: 5280

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
I still think the top four the the Avs should be

Turn - Burn
Z - EJ

I get what Bednar is going for, but Makar and Z clearly don't work and we know those two work quite well in those respective pairings. Why not just try it?

I agree with this 100%. Not sure what their reasoning is, but Makar and Girard should absolutely see the ice at the same time. They feed soooo well off each other, and eventually they're going to be playing together anyway, so why not now?

Reactions: Pokecheque

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Flyers looking like they’re gonna be the same old flyers this year. What would everyone give for Giroux? 31, with 3 years left at $8.25m/year.

Would give up 1st + Kaut in a heartbeat. Not sure if it’s enough though.

Reactions: Bubba Thudd

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Flyers looking like they’re gonna be the same old flyers this year. What would everyone give for Giroux? 31, with 3 years left at $8.25m/year.

Would give up 1st + Kaut in a heartbeat. Not sure if it’s enough though.
Yeah I’d do that deal pretty easily. Don’t think they’d move him though.

Reactions: Gatorbait19
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad