Rumor: 2019-2020 Trade Rumours and Free Agent Discussion Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
Adding a Hall does not make sense for this team. The term and cost will be an issue in a few years. Better to get a lesser player at around the 6 million number who is signed for a while if you are trading for one. Panarin made sense last summer since he would have been that big second-line piece who would have helped to carry a more futures oriented return for Barrie. Hall is a good player but not for this team. Personally, I think an almost contender massively overpays him and they regret it for years.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Why in the world do you think he's a terrible human? Because he didn't have a banana until his 20s?
E86EAFDC-B4C2-468B-85B4-05F0C80275BF.png

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Adding a Hall does not make sense for this team. The term and cost will be an issue in a few years. Better to get a lesser player at around the 6 million number who is signed for a while if you are trading for one. Panarin made sense last summer since he would have been that big second-line piece who would have helped to carry a more futures oriented return for Barrie. Hall is a good player but not for this team. Personally, I think an almost contender massively overpays him and they regret it for years.

I believe Hall is a better player than Panarin. Injuries history is a concern, so likely seeking a long term deal. Sakic likely offering a short deal like Panarin could eliminate any chances of Hall extending.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Barrie had his replacement ready, it was only natural that he would be traded, anybody that wasn't emotionally attached to Barrie could see it coming two years ago.

We don't need him right now, and it's not going to change any time soon.

Glad Sakic could use him to fill our biggest need this summer.

redandyellowcametobe

Jan 4, 2019
I think there was probably a bigger plan in place to possibly re-sign him. I think the roster would've looked different had the Avs landed Panarin.

I think a lot of what happened with Barrie hinged on what happened elsewhere in free agency. Maybe the writing was on the wall. Maybe not, perhaps they had a plan to get one of Horvat/Kadri and add that to Panarin.

Going forward I don't know where there would be room for him. I'm a fan of him and would always welcome him back but where? EJ, Makar, Timmins...
I believe there was a trade that was really close involving Barrie and Vancouver at the draft? Ultimately stalled last minute. I think Joe knew all along Barrie was not in our long term plan.

Barrie was a great player and seemingly loved in the locker room. They will be tough shoes to fill, but I’ve always thought it’s what had to be done.

Reactions: JLo217

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
I believe there was a trade that was really close involving Barrie and Vancouver at the draft? Ultimately stalled last minute. I think Joe knew all along Barrie was not in our long term plan.

Barrie was a great player and seemingly loved in the locker room. They will be tough shoes to fill, but I’ve always thought it’s what had to be done.
Maybe. I think they had a lot of plan A's and B's that they were exploring. Including who they ended up drafting. Byram or Dach etc.

Last edited:

Hornstar

Feb 3, 2018
Oh wow Barrie talk... Who knew? Lol

If this years dead line is similar to last, we could pick up Hall for the playoffs for not that much. If a short term deal can't be reached, trade his rights for anything.
Gonna be tough to find a younger cheaper legit 2nd line guy through ufa.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Friedman says the Habs are looking at LHD.

I feel like Zadorov learning from Weber would be a major positive influence on his game.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Friedman says the Habs are looking at LHD.

I feel like Zadorov learning from Weber would be a major positive influence on his game.
I'd not be THAT surprised if he's sitting because they are trading him.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'd not be THAT surprised if he's sitting because they are trading him.
On one hand Zadorov+ for Drouin makes some sense.

On the other hand, Drouin looks great and Chiarot essentially fills the Zadorov role (not quite as nasty but also not as risky).

I also think this team gets absolutely walked over in the playoffs if we trade Z and don’t have anyone else to fill that void.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Don't get me wrong here, I don't think trading Z right now is the best move... but the the love for an inconsistent 4/5 defensemen that is pretty mistake prone is a bit over the top here. Z should stick around until we know how Cole recovers, Makar gets through his growing pains, and if Timmins forces his way back up. There are too many questions to trade away a guy who can play on either bottom 4 pairing and be at least passable. As the questions get answered though, if they end up positive for the Avs, the less Z is needed.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Don't get me wrong here, I don't think trading Z right now is the best move... but the the love for an inconsistent 4/5 defensemen that is pretty mistake prone is a bit over the top here. Z should stick around until we know how Cole recovers, Makar gets through his growing pains, and if Timmins forces his way back up. There are too many questions to trade away a guy who can play on either bottom 4 pairing and be at least passable. As the questions get answered though, if they end up positive for the Avs, the less Z is needed.
Cale has also thrown 1 massive hit! So clearly he can replace Barrie and Z to please everyone here!

Reactions: henchman21

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I can kinda see the love. I like him a lot too.

He's a rare specimen in that he's a big, physical defenseman who actually has the speed to keep up with today's elite skaters. And he has been known to make big, momentum-changing plays as well as a big hit or two. And yes, him smearing Tkachuk into the boards in Game Two last playoffs will remain one of my all-time favorite Avs moments. He's also a big, goofy personality in a game that is almost bereft of any personality whatsoever. I'll miss him when he goes, but he is, at best, a depth defenseman. Nothing more. The Avs are only going to pay so much for a guy like that, and it's clear Z wants more.

Reactions: madman

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
If Bednar really does plan on anchoring Cale with Cole then it wouldn't surprise me if Z was traded mid season. But 5 games in when we're undefeated is weird timing. Probably just a Bednar doghouse scratch. Z is good of at least one of those a season, they never last long.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I still think the top four the the Avs should be

Turn - Burn
Z - EJ

I get what Bednar is going for, but Makar and Z clearly don't work and we know those two work quite well in those respective pairings. Why not just try it?

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I can kinda see the love. I like him a lot too.

He's a rare specimen in that he's a big, physical defenseman who actually has the speed to keep up with today's elite skaters. And he has been known to make big, momentum-changing plays as well as a big hit or two. And yes, him smearing Tkachuk into the boards in Game Two last playoffs will remain one of my all-time favorite Avs moments. He's also a big, goofy personality in a game that is almost bereft of any personality whatsoever. I'll miss him when he goes, but he is, at best, a depth defenseman. Nothing more. The Avs are only going to pay so much for a guy like that, and it's clear Z wants more.
A depth player is a 13-14th forward or 7-8th Dman. If this is your view of Z then I disagree, Z is a everyday player on any team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad