Rumor: 2019-2020 Trade Rumours and Free Agent Discussion Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
At the risk of re-opening THE rabbit hole...

5 games into the post-Barrie era:

1. Does anyone feel differently/switch sides of the argument about whether they would re-sign him or not?

2. Is anyone to the point where they wouldn’t re-sign Barrie next summer if he wants in at a reasonable price? (Say $7m x 7 or even $7m x5)

I miss Barrie and wish he was still on the team, but I just don’t see a spot for him on this roster moving forward. Between Cale excelling at Barrie’s old job, Timmins/ Byram coming up soonish, and the need for some defensively-oriented dmen, I don’t know where he’d play.

So while I’ve been of the opinion that we should sign Barrie if he wants in on a team friendly deal, I’m now leaning towards a “seat’s taken” view. I think we’re legitimately at the point where no matter what, we’re better off using our extra cap on a 2nd liner.

It's pretty clear that Makar hasn't taken Barries role at ES and is having some growing pains there. He's been good on the PP minus the fact that he always delegates to Mack and Mikko, he needs to start shooting to keep the PK's honest.

Long term I have no issues with Cale replacing Barrie, but I think there will be some stretches this year where we really miss Barrie.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008

1. Does anyone feel differently/switch sides of the argument about whether they would re-sign him or not?

2. Is anyone to the point where they wouldn’t re-sign Barrie next summer if he wants in at a reasonable price? (Say $7m x 7 or even $7m x5)

I miss Barrie and wish he was still on the team, but I just don’t see a spot for him on this roster moving forward. Between Cale excelling at Barrie’s old job, Timmins/ Byram coming up soonish, and the need for some defensively-oriented dmen, I don’t know where he’d play.

So while I’ve been of the opinion that we should sign Barrie if he wants in on a team friendly deal, I’m now leaning towards a “seat’s taken” view. I think we’re legitimately at the point where no matter what, we’re better off using our extra cap on a 2nd liner.
1. No. I still think it was the right decision to trade Barrie. He became replaceable at a fraction of the price.
2. No I wouldn't re-sign him either. He's a good player I just think the cap space could be better used elsewhere. Besides if the Avs sign Barrie long term in free agency who do you protect in the expansion draft? If you went 7F and 3D you'd have to expose Girard or Makar. If you went 4F and 4D you'd be in the same position as before where we need more second line forwards.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
It's pretty clear that Makar hasn't taken Barries role at ES and is having some growing pains there. He's been good on the PP minus the fact that he always delegates to Mack and Mikko, he needs to start shooting to keep the PK's honest.

Long term I have no issues with Cale replacing Barrie, but I think there will be some stretches this year where we really miss Barrie.
Sure, Makar still isn’t Barrie’s level yet for some things and we could still use Barrie this year. But seeing/knowing what we have right now so far, are you willing to sign Barrie to a $7x7 deal next summer? Or is his spot/role filled and signing Barrie would be a law of diminishing returns situation?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I think the Kreider IQ concern really gets overblown. Even if he can't think the game worth ****, I'd be a lot more worried about that for a defenseman or center than a second line winger. His role next to someone like Kadri would be to do what he does best, which is go hard to the net and score. The other area where it might matter is with penalties but Kreider doesn't really take a lot of them. Now, he doesn't draw a ton either so the taken-to-drawn ratio isn't great but that's fine. Kreider has his faults but he's also big, fast, scores, and is a net positive when he's on the ice. I wouldn't sign him to an extension based on his age and style of play but he's a great rental.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
1. No. I still think it was the right decision to trade Barrie. He became replaceable at a fraction of the price.
2. No I wouldn't re-sign him either. He's a good player I just think the cap space could be better used elsewhere. Besides if the Avs sign Barrie long term in free agency who do you protect in the expansion draft? If you went 7F and 3D you'd have to expose Girard or Makar. If you went 4F and 4D you'd be in the same position as before where we need more second line forwards.
I totally forgot about the expansion draft, so good point.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think the Kreider IQ concern really gets overblown. Even if he can't think the game worth ****, I'd be a lot more worried about that for a defenseman or center than a second line winger. His role next to someone like Kadri would be to do what he does best, which is go hard to the net and score. The other area where it might matter is with penalties but Kreider doesn't really take a lot of them. Now, he doesn't draw a ton either so the taken-to-drawn ratio isn't great but that's fine. Kreider has his faults but he's also big, fast, scores, and is a net positive when he's on the ice. I wouldn't sign him to an extension based on his age and style of play but he's a great rental.

If he crashed the net regularly he'd have scored a whole lot more than he does. The IQ thing is most definitely a concern because a lot of times he's just not in the right position to score, and that includes in front of the net. That said, I wouldn't mind the Avs making a concerted effort to try and get him, just depends on the price.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I we do go after Hall, I think I'd be fine with making it a pure rental and letting somebody else pick up the tab for his last big contract. Not everything needs to be a long term commitment. Not only would the assets required be less, but we wouldn't be on the hook for his declining years and can invest in our own guys instead. This team is now in the position to make big deadline splashes without worrying about needing to add to our core.

I mean, do we really need another first line winger long term? We have two already, that's more than a lot of teams have. Even contending teams always have a guy in their top six who maybe isn't a pure top sixer. The way the salary cap works you just can't pay three first liners and three second liners the way they need to be paid.

I'm OK with sitting pat for now with our top six. Burakovsky hasn't done anything yet to prove he doesn't belong there, and Donskoi is kind of the ideal middle six/top six third wheel guy already. Give it a few months to shake out a larger sample size before we go all in trying to upgrade that second line.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
I'm conflicted about Hall. He's an outstanding talent to have but the guy is a terrible human. I'm not sure I'd want him around long term. I'd like to see who else would be available in a few months.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
If he crashed the net regularly he'd have scored a whole lot more than he does. The IQ thing is most definitely a concern because a lot of times he's just not in the right position to score, and that includes in front of the net. That said, I wouldn't mind the Avs making a concerted effort to try and get him, just depends on the price.

How much more are we looking for? He has averaged 25 goals/82 games over his career and that's more than fine for me.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Kreider may not have a high hockey IQ but he contributes in areas you need in the playoffs when you're having trouble scoring against a hot goalie.

He drives hard to the net for rebounds, provides great screens for point shots, and is very good at deflections. He's also got a great backhand shot which fools a lot of goalies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Honestly I just want the Avs to get him because I always look at pics of him and wonder how in hell this isn't the result of someone messing around in Photoshop.

8475184.jpg

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Sure, Makar still isn’t Barrie’s level yet for some things and we could still use Barrie this year. But seeing/knowing what we have right now so far, are you willing to sign Barrie to a $7x7 deal next summer? Or is his spot/role filled and signing Barrie would be a law of diminishing returns situation?

I believe Barrie is asking for $8M per which is likely MV, but far too high if cap space is needed to extend the others. :nod:

AVs doing just fine. Makar is outscoring Barrie. EJ is playing the best hockey in years. Girard is getting better. Zadorov is stronger adding that physical presence. Graves is fiilling nicely. Byram, Timmins and Rosen will be joining the team after Cole, Barbs and Con are done.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

I was on the train that would've preferred to pay Barrie more to lower the term if possible, like 8-9x5 or something like that, but I probably would still. Having a defense that is that good with the puck in transition is a huge advantage that we clearly could have taken advantage of. Now I'm glad that Barrie did return a 2c in his trade and I think that while can replace what Barrie brings I don't think he is the natural successor to Barrie(that's EJ).

Reactions: Patagonia

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
I've heard enough stories from people who knew him when he was younger. He sounds like a toxic person.
Yeah there's plenty of stories out there about him being a POS. I'm sure this locker room could handle him but I'd rather go another route.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I was on the train that would've preferred to pay Barrie more to lower the term if possible, like 8-9x5 or something like that, but I probably would still. Having a defense that is that good with the puck in transition is a huge advantage that we clearly could have taken advantage of. Now I'm glad that Barrie did return a 2c in his trade and I think that while can replace what Barrie brings I don't think he is the natural successor to Barrie(that's EJ).

I always liked this trade.

Barrie has faults, but was an awesome teammate and good player. His rumoured salary demands on an expiring contract and defensive limitations increased the urgency of making a deal. Barrie could have been lost as a UFA which the Leafs will need to contend with extending.

Kadri with a cheap salary filled an immediate need for a 2C for the next 3 seasons. Rosen was a nice DMan pickup for the 3rd line or repackage into a larger deal. 3rd recouped the pick moved in the Bura deal.

AVs still have a collection of strong prospects and could dump some of their NHL vets for more picks or prospects. Not sure of any successor to EJ, but the future is brighter.

Reactions: 5280

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV

I think there was probably a bigger plan in place to possibly re-sign him. I think the roster would've looked different had the Avs landed Panarin.

I think a lot of what happened with Barrie hinged on what happened elsewhere in free agency. Maybe the writing was on the wall. Maybe not, perhaps they had a plan to get one of Horvat/Kadri and add that to Panarin.

Going forward I don't know where there would be room for him. I'm a fan of him and would always welcome him back but where? EJ, Makar, Timmins...

Reactions: Gatorbait19
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad