Prospect Info: 2019 - 2020 Top 20 Blues Prospect List - #8

Who is the #8 Prospect in the Blues Prospect Pool?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Top 20 Blues Prospect List:
1) Jordan Kyrou - 91.9%
2) Dominik Bokk - 84.2%
3) Klim Kostin - 43.4%
4) Ville Husso - 41.3%
5) Mitch Reinke - 36.5%
6) Niko Mikkola - 46.1%*
7) Scott Perunovich - 42.1%*

Niko Mikkola takes the #6 spot, narrowly beating out Scott Perunovich. Now, I saw the number of posts suggesting that the loser between the two of Mikkola and Perunovich would be crowned the #7 prospect. After some deliberation, I think it makes the most sense. The only real issue is the percentage for each prospect, but it does seem like an unnecessary formality seeing as it's been a three horse race for the last two polls. So as such, Perunovich has been crowned the #7 prospect within the system. Now, onto #8.

I'm not as down on the prospect pool as a lot around here, seeing that there are currently seven prospects that I think will get action in the NHL, and there are two more that I have hope with. The first of the two is Alexandrov, and he will be getting my vote here. He might not have been my ideal choice at the time, but he certainly has a legitimate chance to be an NHL player. He has the Barbeshev quality about him where I don't think there is one particular aspect that stands out to me. Not because of lack of talent, but more that everything is at least average, if not slightly above average. I think he will make a sufficient bottom-6 forward for the foreseeable future, again, like Barbeshev. Can't really complain about that with the #62 pick.

On a side note, I would have most likely voted for Foley, at this spot, if his career wasn't in such peril. I really hope he comes back. He has the potential to be a Backes like player.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Alexandrov, as I like his two-way play. That defensive awareness gives him a better chance of finding a role in the NHL. Toropchenko was a close second, but he needs to work on both his finish, and his defensive play. He could be a power-forward if he works on his puck skills.

Hrkac Circus

Dec 11, 2014
Vienna, IL
I like Alexandrov and Toropchenko but they are both a year or two away at 18 and 22 years old. I'm going with Nolan Stevens because he's had a good career in college followed by a decent season at San Antonio. I just like seeing that evidence that a player can play at that next level.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
I like Alexandrov and Toropchenko but they are both a year or two away at 18 and 22 years old. I'm going with Nolan Stevens because he's had a good career in college followed by a decent season at San Antonio. I just like seeing that evidence that a player can play at that next level.

Why not go with Poganski in that case? He arguably had a much better season at San Antonio then Nolan Stevens?

Reactions: Blueston

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Voted for Torop since number 4. Love his size and play style. Don’t think he’ll ever be an elite player but I could see him becoming a very good power forward.

Blues0307

May 25, 2009
St. Louis
I'm surprised how many people have Toropchenko this high in their rankings. I guess his playoff persuaded people.

Anyhow, I went with Ellis. Don't know much about him, but he does look pretty dang good in net from the little I've seen of him. I think he's the best pick of our 2019 draft. Next I'd have voted for Alexandrov, but it looks like he's gonna run away with this thing.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Boy this is a tough one. Go with safer players or with high ceilings. (Top/Poganski/Stevens vs. Laferierre/Alexandrov). I went with Laferierre, based on coming out of really no where to trying out for the WJC for Canada.

I think, based on development, he is one of those kids who could be a better version of Blais. His point totals nearly doubled last year and he was a 6th round pick. His up side could be 2nd liner.

One of the reasons I am going to see Canada play.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
I think the issue with including him right now is he's only on an AHL deal.

Has he already signed that contract? Elite Prospects doesn't list him with the Rampage yet and on his personal page it only says he had a contract for the 18/19 season.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Went with Alexandrov. He’s the last of a tier for me, then a big grouping of guys after that. In that next group, I value Ellis the most. If we’re honest, I think we have to admit we don’t know a lot about Ellis yet (or Alexandrov for that matter) but he seems to have all of the tools to be a good goalie.

I have Toropchenko down a bit more. I’m just not convinced some of the tools will translate well to the NHL. He brings size, pretty good skating ability and he loves to crash the net. Conversely, his offensive touch is bad and his D/positioning needs quite a bit of work too. Still a good amount under a pt/game pace as a 19 yr old in a league primarily made up of 16-19 yr olds...I like watching him play but unless he improves his D/positioning enough to become an effective bottom 6/PK forward or magically figures out offense, I see those deficiencies as pretty likely to hold him back.

Agree with others that Foley would be around this range for me, maybe even a little higher, if he was healthy. Hopefully we learn something about his prognosis at some point.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I voted Fitz just because I'm not really wild about any of the other guys, I'm biased towards goalies and I think he has a hugely high ceiling (even though it is very unlikely he hits that ceiling).

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Went Poganski because he is probably the closest to the NHL, his size/speed kind of reminds me of MacEachern. I think we tend to overrate upside/unknowns in these polls over players who are a couple of injuries away from being in the NHL, especially when we get into this range of prospect.

Foley would have been my pick if he was healthy. Fitz and Toro could start in the ECHL this year, they got work to do. Alexandrov is 18 and was pretty much a 3rd round pick, he is a long way off. Walman has talent, but is inconsistent and will he get an opportunity here with Dunn being our 'rover'/offensive defenseman? Stevens isn't a great skater and I'm not sure he is skilled enough to get by.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I think Walman and McGing are the most skilled guys remaining, but all of these remaining guys are long-shots. I like Ellis and Poganski. Robby Jackson probably is in this tier too, and is being overlooked because he was signed (AHL) rather than drafted. I'd probably go with Jackson here if he were Blues property. Voted McGing.

David Noel put up good offense in his half-season with a terribad Val d'Or Foreurs team, (after leading his team in scoring the year prior) in a better situation, I wonder how he could look. He's certainly appears skilled, but I have no viewings of him on which to base any opinion. That said, his defensive-zone coverage can't be any worse than Walman's.

Last edited:

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I think Walman and McGing are the most skilled guys remaining, but all of these remaining guys are long-shots. I like Ellis and Poganski. Robby Jackson probably is in this tier too, and is being overlooked because he was signed (AHL) rather than drafted. I'd probably go with Jackson here if he were Blues property. Voted McGing.

David Noel put up good offense in his half-season with a terribad Val d'Or Foreurs team, (after leading his team in scoring the year prior) in a better situation, I wonder how he could look. He's certainly appears skilled, but I have no viewings of him on which to base any opinion. That said, his defensive-zone coverage can't be any worse than Walman's.
Thought we gave up Noel's rights by not signing him in time?

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I don't think he can be signed until next year as a UFA. I don't think anyone can sign him until the end of his season, but maybe it is a August date.

I will say this regarding Alexandrov. I believe he was one of the youngest draft eligible players, couple that with having to have a larger role last year then the prior year. He was 2nd on his team in scoring to an overager. They also had 6 rookies last year. In 2018, he led the team in scoring in the playoffs 17 in 18 gp. After this year, I may want to change where I have put him.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Yes, both Noel and Bourque were not signed by the 6/1/19 deadline, which triggered them being re-entered into the draft a few weeks later, where they both went undrafted. Neither are affiliated with the Blues anymore.

Reactions: MortiestOfMortys

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I don't think he can be signed until next year as a UFA. I don't think anyone can sign him until the end of his season, but maybe it is a August date.

I will say this regarding Alexandrov. I believe he was one of the youngest draft eligible players, couple that with having to have a larger role last year then the prior year. He was 2nd on his team in scoring to an overager. They also had 6 rookies last year. In 2018, he led the team in scoring in the playoffs 17 in 18 gp. After this year, I may want to change where I have put him.
He was actually probably the oldest 1st year eligible drafted players as he missed deadline last year by a day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad