Prospect Info: 2019 - 2020 Top 20 Blues Prospect List - #5

Who is the #5 Prospect in the Blues Prospect Pool?

• Colten Ellis

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Evan Fitzpatrick

• Joel Hofer

• Mathias Laferriere

• Hugh McGing

• Evan Polei

• Nolan Stevens

• Tyler Tucker

• Jake Walman

• Keean Washkurak

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Top 20 Blues Prospect List:
1) Jordan Kyrou - 91.9%
2) Dominik Bokk - 84.2%
3) Klim Kostin - 43.4%
4) Ville Husso - 41.3%

Husso takes the 4th spot. Here's to hoping he can regain the form he had earlier in his career. I have faith he can, but like all prospects, only time will tell.

As for the 5th spot, it's going to be one of the defensemen for me, but I don't have a strong feeling one way of the other. I love Mikkola's skating ability and defensive intelligence. He reminds me of a more aggressive Bouwmeester, and I think he will get a chance on the Blues this upcoming season. But his offense is so limited, that highly doubt he can score more than 15 points in any given season. Reinke, on the other hand, has that top-4 scoring profile after putting up Dunn like numbers in his first season as a professional. He was the most surprising prospect for me, and I'm quite pleased with his totality of work. But he's being thrust into a situation where he has to compete with two of the best RH defensemen in the game, and I don't think his game can translate to that of a bottom pairing player, at least with how the Blues like to construct their defense. I also think his overall defensive ability needs more fine tuning based on what Nate has been saying. Then there's Perunovich, who has done nothing but win and quarterback offensive breaks since joining the college ranks. I'm always impressed at how well he can take control of the situation when I watch him play, and I disagree with anyone who says his skating isn't explosive. The guy can start and stop on a dime. I'm a firm believer that top-end speed is less valuable than great acceleration, and Perunovich has that. But, the defensive ability and physical attributes are certainly lacking when compared to the others, even if his offensive ceiling looks higher than both.

In the end, I'm going with Mikkola. I've always liked his play, and think he gets underrated by a lot of fans because he doesn't score that much. I think his skating is among the best the Blues defensemen have, both on the roster and in the system. I think his intelligence will provide him with a long professional career, even when his physical gifts start wearing down. And most of all, he's enter the team right as the left-side is clearing up with Bouwmeester's career winding down, Gunnarsson looking more like a 7th defensemen from here on, and Edmundson's future in more uncertainty than last offseason.

Last edited:
Reactions: simon IC

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
I fully expect the next 3 to be any combo of Mikkola, Reinke, and Perunovich. MAYBE Toropchenko or Alexandrov sneak in there somewhere but I have a feeling it’ll go with the 3 dmen next.

I went Reinke by a hair

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I went with Reinke also. But Mikkola works just as well.

Perunovich May have the higher upside, but he isn’t in the AHL yet.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Went Reinke. Alexandrov, Mikkola, Perunovich were considerations. Tucker also had a fantastic year last year, but I haven’t seen him play outside of the prospect camps so it’s hard to judge him.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I voted Perunovich, but it was very, very close between him, Mikkola, and Reinke.

At the end of the day, I think Perunovich has the highest upside to be a 2nd pairing difference maker eventually, even though I don't think he is the most likely to make an impact in the NHL next year. If this list was which prospect is closest to being NHL ready, he would not have been my choice. I'm just amazed at his skating and was impressed with what I saw from him in the NCAA this year. He had a more impressive NCAA career than Reinke at a younger age, which outweighs Reinke's strong AHL rookie season by a slim margin for me. I value his offensive upside a bit more than I value Mikkola's defensive upside, but again it is by a super slim margin. I watch a lot more college hockey than AHL hockey, so that might just be a bias creeping in.

All in all, I don't really disagree with anyone picking Perunovich, Reinke, or Mikkola in this spot. I will be surprised if they don't wind up at #5, #6 and #7 on this list.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Reinke for me....After Toropchenko and Mikkola, I don't see any more prospects...Lots of suspects.... Looking pretty bleak for our future.

I disagree about putting Perunovich into the 'suspect and not a prospect' side of the line as he was our 2nd round pick just last summer and then had a really good sophomore NCAA season. He finished 3rd on his team in scoring en route to his second straight National Championship. After being the leading scorer the year before. That's a pretty damn good resume for a 20 year old and I'm not sure what else he realistically could have done to keep himself out of the 'suspect' list unless you just think his size is just an insurmountable obstacle. I also think Fitz is a prosepct, but I understand looking at any goalie prospect outside of the truly top end as just random chance.

Regardless, even if the prospects turn into suspects at your line, we are still talking about that line being after prospect #7, which isn't devastatingly shallow when you consider Thomas, Binny, and Blais all 'graduated' this year and we have a pretty strong core of guys under the age of 30. We don't really have many openings for prospects to step in over the next 2-3 years. Blais, Sunny, Mac, Barby and Sanford should provide plenty of cheap depth over the next 2-3 years, so by the time I expect our current 5th best (or worse) forward prospects to compete for those jobs, we will have had another couple drafts to shore up the pool. Same thing at D. With Petro/Parayko/Dunn almost certainly a part of the organization medium-long term (plus Gunny for a couple years and maybe Ed/Bortz), how important are the D prospects after Reinke, Mikkola, and Perunovich (and Walman/Schmaltz if you consider them still potential options)?

Don't get me wrong, it is currently a shallow prospect pool. I just think the top end of that pool combined with our current NHL roster prevents the future from looking bleak based on the current shallowness.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
It was just scrimmage and probably first time Perunovich play hockey this summer and can give pass he might be rusty, but his side steps with skating and turns looked really bad. If you give him straight line to skate he looked good, but when you are making turns Perunovich skating look akward and few times look he will fall down jusf for not controlling his legs. Idk, maybe I just saw worst of him at this time.

If that is really case he has to work out his skating a lot of.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I went with Mikkola. It is interesting to see the divergent philosophies within our community. I have Mikkola over Reinke and Perunovich because I value his steady defensive reliability more than the offensive upside of the other two, which is completely the opposite of what some others have posted.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I went with Mikkola. It is interesting to see the divergent philosophies within our community. I have Mikkola over Reinke and Perunovich because I value his steady defensive reliability more than the offensive upside of the other two, which is completely the opposite of what some others have posted.
I give more edge för dmens who defend better, but not produce that much compare to bad defend and better produce.

Reactions: simon IC

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I also think people are short changing Alexandrov a bit if you don’t think he’s a legit prospect.
I was kind of thinking this too. I am guilty of know very little about Alexandrov as a player, but still surprised at his almost complete lack of mention in these threads.

Voted Perunovich based mostly on upside.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Mikkola got off to a fast start in this poll with a sizeable lead, but I knew Reinke would close the gap and surpass Niko.

Looks like Reinke
Mikkola
Perunovich
Toropchenko
....the abyss

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad