Prospect Info: 2019 - 2020 Top 20 Blues Prospect List - #19

Who is the #19 Prospect in the Blues Prospect Pool?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Top 20 Blues Prospect List:
1) Jordan Kyrou - 91.9%
2) Dominik Bokk - 84.2%
3) Klim Kostin - 43.4%
4) Ville Husso - 41.3%
5) Mitch Reinke - 36.5%
6) Niko Mikkola - 46.1%*
7) Scott Perunovich - 42.1%*
8) Nikita Alexandrov - 48.7%
9) Alexei Toropchenko - 45%
10) Evan Fitzpatrick - 21.6%
11) Erik Foley - 53.7% (tiebreaker)
12) Colten Ellis - 35.9%
13) Mathias Laferriere - 44.4%
14) Tyler Tucker - 32.5%
15) Austin Poganski - 29.8%
16) Keean Washkurak - 48.5%
17) Jake Walman - 36.4%
18) Joel Hofer - 41.0%

Joel Hofer takes the number 18 spot, meaning that only one goalie remains in the system that's not within the top-20. I know many don't consider this pool particularly strong, but the sheer depth of goalies within it is a good sign for the future. It might be a gambler's fallacy, but I'm hopeful one of Hofer, Ellis, Husso, and Fitzpatrick should become quite the goaltender in his career. And after Binnington's rise last year, being this far down the list might not be the indictment we as fans think it is.

With only two more polls to go, I would like to open up #19. I would also like to know if all those who have been consistently voting would like to contribute their own top-20 lists so we may take an average of all lists and compare it to this one? It's been done in the past, and considering how this list barely made it to halfway in August, I think doing something else might be a fun idea. Let me know what you all think.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
The Athletic is rolling out their farm system rankings now. We'll see where they list the Blues.

I thought we had a decent prospect pool but seeing these rankings shows it to be a bit thin. Recent graduates and having traded so many number one picks leaves it kind of shallow. After Husso the rest are marginal prospects without a high upside.

Time now to hold onto picks, trade for more and reload.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL

Disagree 1000%.

Now is the time to go Pittsburgh Penguins and worry about the 'now' and deal with the 'later'...later. Push for more Cups while your championship-core is in tact. Don't care if they trade the next 5 firsts for immediate help...though they need to continue to find and develop talent with their remaining picks, for sure.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
I thought we had a decent prospect pool but seeing these rankings shows it to be a bit thin. Recent graduates and having traded so many number one picks leaves it kind of shallow. After Husso the rest are marginal prospects without a high upside.

Well, it's not that bad. Sure we don't have the amount of high end quality some other teams have (except on RW), but despite having traded a lot of high end picks, we still have a lot of prospects with NHL-upside. That still has some value, eventhough most of them project to be in lesser roles. Take the players selected in the first 18 topics + Stevens and McGing and we still have 20 players who could possibly carve out an NHL carreer. Plus if we where allowed to add Thomas, Dunn, Sanford and Blais to the prospect list it would instantly look a lot better.

Considering the circumstances we're doing okay. But I agree I'd rather not trade any extra 1st and 2nd round picks the next 2/3 years if it ain't necesarry.

What is Tanner Kaspic story?
Border line AHL-player IMO.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Went with Nolan Stevens. He was ok as an AHL rookie. Hopefully he takes it up a notch this season.

After that Joshua and McGing.

And yes, I think we should do our individual lists like we’ve done in the past once this top 20 list is over.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Disagree 1000%.

Now is the time to go Pittsburgh Penguins and worry about the 'now' and deal with the 'later'...later. Push for more Cups while your championship-core is in tact. Don't care if they trade the next 5 firsts for immediate help...though they need to continue to find and develop talent with their remaining picks, for sure.

Disagree 995%. The core of this team can compete as is for the next two to three years. There isn't a need that would be worth trading the next five picks for. Draft now to fill the needs three to five years down the road. If some cap money frees up you can sign a veteran d-man or two to keep the ball rolling.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
The Athletic is rolling out their farm system rankings now. We'll see where they list the Blues.

I recall Pronman (the Athletic writer you reference) had the Blues 3rd in his prospect rankings a year ago. I thought that was a little too high but Pronman was super high on Thomas (he had Thomas as the 4th best prospect in all of hockey) and was also very high on Kyrou and Bokk as well...so I’ll be interested to see where he ranks the Blues this summer now that Thomas has graduated.

I’d probably rank the Blues in the 20-25 range but if Pronman still really likes Kyrou and Bokk maybe he’ll have them higher.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I went with Stevens. He played decently in his AHL debut, as posted above. He has a great background, his dad being an NHL coach and all. He has decent size, although at 6'3" 180 lbs he might benefit from a little extra weight. As long as it doesn't slow him down. He plays a fairly hard nosed (if slightly cautious) game, from what little I saw of him with the Wolves. I hope he can improve a little offensively. I think he has a good chance of becoming an NHL fourth liner.

Last edited:

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
I recall Pronman (the Athletic writer you reference) had the Blues 3rd in his prospect rankings a year ago. I thought that was a little too high but Pronman was super high on Thomas (he had Thomas as the 4th best prospect in all of hockey) and was also very high on Kyrou and Bokk as well...so I’ll be interested to see where he ranks the Blues this summer now that Thomas has graduated.

I’d probably rank the Blues in the 20-25 range but if Pronman still really likes Kyrou and Bokk maybe he’ll have them higher.

Between 20 and 25 sounds about right.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

I expect the Blues to be in the bottom 3rd. I’m not sure if the AHL situation was part of the grade previously, but the team there was under-resourced last year. Already this year there are better depth minor league vets signed. I think the rankings are meant to simply rank the prospect pool, but the “farm system” suggests more to me. Coaches, minor league affiliate health, etc.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Disagree 1000%.

Agree to an extent but slow down. U need those ELC contract situation to help fill your roster. Zero chance we win the cup this year without Thomas and Dunn. Gotta keep reloading. But that doesn’t mean not to move SOME picks here or there for immediate help, like the ROR deal

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012

I personally put the blues 15-20. It’s tough for me to find a team from 15 and on that has a better “Big 4” than Kyrou, Kostin, Bokk and Perunovich. On top of depth like Husso, fitz,Ellis, alexandrov, Tucker, Reinke and Mikkola

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
"Big 3" perhaps. If we have a "Big 4" Scott Perunovich is not one of them.

Last edited:

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Well apparently Pronman thinks more highly of this pool then Minnesota’s according to his prospect pool rankings. So that’s neat!

Doesn’t surprise me too much given how much he loves Bokk, Kyrou, and Pernunovich. Pronman has always liked the Blues drafting philosophy dating back to Robby Fabbri’s selection.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
"Big 3" perhaps. If we have a "Big 4" Scott Perunovich is not one of them.
Well I guess that depends on how u feel about him. Basically a PPG NCAA D known for his high hockey IQ and puck moving ability is good enough for me. Either way, not a lot for teams from 15th and on have a BIG 3 or TOP 4 that’s better

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Well apparently Pronman thinks more highly of this pool then Minnesota’s according to his prospect pool rankings. So that’s neat!

Doesn’t surprise me too much given how much he loves Bokk, Kyrou, and Pernunovich. Pronman has always liked the Blues drafting philosophy dating back to Robby Fabbri’s selection.
4 of the bottom 10 farm systems in the league are in the Central, according to Pronman. I thought the Blues would be pretty low this year, but we’ll see what he says. I know he likes Kyrou and Bokk.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada

Pronman's scouting reports are among the best. I both enjoy and highly respect his evaluations and rankings. Having said that, he is far from being a final authority, IMO. He tends to focus on offensive skills alone, and doesn't seem to view less tangible elements like defensive awareness or team play as important.

Last edited:

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Well I guess that depends on how u feel about him. Basically a PPG NCAA D known for his high hockey IQ and puck moving ability is good enough for me. Either way, not a lot for teams from 15th and on have a BIG 3 or TOP 4 that’s better

I still don't get the Perunovich pick. The kid is way too small for the NHL. Hope I'm wrong - Bill Armstrong knows better than most.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad