Prospect Info: 2019-2020 Texas Stars Thread

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
“I think the strongest part of my game is my hockey sense,” Rosburg said. “Defensively, in my mind ... I can kind of see where things are coming from. I can kind of sniff out plays before they happen ... really whatever I can do to help the team is what I’m trying to do.”

In just 3 months, Rosburg turns 24 years old. It'll be interesting to see where he fits with Texas right now. Heathington and Cecconi have played a great deal of the season together as the primary shutdown pair, but they've been broken up at times recently. Rosburg is a left shot, but it looks like he mostly played RD so he had flexibility there. A bigger shutdown defender can't hurt for sure for this group though.

The last 2 games, Texas has carried 7 D because Hanley was coming back from injury. In those 2 games, it seemed like Vala had possibly surpassed Gleason who has had a rough season. If Texas did only carry 6 D and they wanted to play Rosburg, it could mean both Vala and Gleason come out.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Nill on Rosburg:

full

Shap Shots: The Stars and coronavirus procedures; Oettinger...

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
That shouldn't surprise you. Captaincies and bloodlines are right up there for Nill. He mentions it often about a guy coming from an athletic family. Nill and his staff are extremely traditional and tend to value intangibles as much as skill where it seems other teams tend to value skill more.

Personally ... Dallas' valuation of intangibles means they tend to end up with less skilled players.

Reactions: LatvianTwist

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Probably something more rare like B- because Nill made specific mention of it so it must be a rare circumstance.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Vala gets scratched over Gleason. I didn't think about it earlier, but given Gleason's role on the PP that does make sense. Must be going with 7 D again.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Texas is already lobbying the league to give his father an official 3rd assist.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
so much for running away with it

In the past few weeks, it's incredible how many leads Texas has blown. This is the first in recent memory they stopped the onslaught, recovered, and won. It had been pretty automatic if they lost a 2+ goal lead, they ended up losing the game so its at least an improvement to stop the bleeding this time.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Texas sits 6th in the Central today, and they are tied for 5th in winning percentage.

San Antonio is at Milwaukee (MIL up 1-0 in the 2nd period/Early game today), and Iowa is at Grand Rapids. Since Grand Rapids is currently 3rd, a Milwaukee win and a Texas win today would put Dallas in 4th place. If GR loses in regulation and Texas wins, they'd be tied in points, but GR has the tiebreakers.

In fact, Texas would lose the tiebreaker to every team in the mix for the playoffs. They're not incredibly far behind most so it's possible they could overcome them in terms of tiebreakers, but as of today they're in the worst position.

Reactions: Smelling Salt

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Milwaukee helps out Texas by beating San Antonio 6-1 today. Iowa's game is scoreless in the first.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Texas' lineup last night:

Mersch-Kero-Caamano
Robertson-L’Esperance-Kiviranta
Tufte-Gardner-Melnick
Palve-McClure

Heatherington-Cecconi
Rosburg-Bayreuther
Gleason-Scarlett
Hanley

Oettinger

Texas tonight:

Mersch-Kero-Caamano
Louis-L’Esperance-Robertson
Tufte-Gardner-Melnick
MacKay-Palve-McClure

Heatherington-Cecconi
Vala-Bayreuther
Rosburg-Scarlett

Bow

Even with Kiviranta call up, quite a bit of change. Louis also returns from injury. Felhaber is the only healthy scratch for both games.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Apologize if this is posted in the incorrect thread. But was just seeking information on him and how/if he fits in the Dallas organization.

Sholl will be 26 this summer, the fringe limits for being a "prospect" except for the fact that he is a goalie and that window can happen later.

He attended Dallas' training camp and signed an AHL contract with Texas; he was with Texas briefly in January but did not appear in any AHL games.

In terms of the Stars' goalie depth chart, Ben Bishop has three years remaining on his contract while Anton Khudobin will be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year.

It gets interesting after that. Former first-round pick Jake Oettinger, 21, played in 38 games for AHL Texas has two more years left on his ELC and at this point appears to be the heir apparent to Bishop.

Landon Bow, 24, played 30 games for the Texas Stars but had rather pedestrian numbers. He will be a restricted free agent.

That is where Sholl comes in. Former Colgate goalie Colton Point was signed by Dallas folllowing his sophomore year with the Red Raiders two years ago. He appeared in seven games with Texas and 13 with Idaho in 2018-19 but played just once with Texas and 20 times for the Steelheads this past season. He will be in the final year of his original three-year ELC in 2020-21.

The Stars do not have a goalie on their reserve list.

At this point, does it merit signing Sholl to an ELC or are the options for the Stars currently not in the system?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad