2019-2020 Tank Thread

DharmaBum

Just like a young Dave Ellett
Nov 14, 2010
Winnipeg
For the rest of February (starting on thursday) we play every other day. Tough schedule: we play playoff teams 4 times out of 9 games. Twice against Washington and once against Philly and Edmonton (the latter 2 are pretty much in the same situation we are in).

These 2 weeks (plus a game) is gonna determine if we make the playoffs or not.

SJS (h)
CHI (h)
LAK (h)
OTT (a)
PHI (a)
BUF (a)
WSH (a)
WSH (h)
EDM (a)

On the surface it looks like we should be on the better side of the w/l column. I'm going the way of the optimist and say we go 5-2-2, or 12 out of 18 points

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Can we go full steam ahead with the tank I swear will pick 14-15th this draft
We are going to either just make the playoffs or just miss. We are almost certainly picking between 12 - 17 baring a draft lottery win or an unexpected playoff run. It's really your own preference if you want to take your chances in a playoff series against a favoured opponent, or in a TV show with bouncing balls.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
We are going to either just make the playoffs or just miss. We are almost certainly picking between 12 - 17 baring a draft lottery win or an unexpected playoff run. It's really your own preference if you want to take your chances in a playoff series against a favoured opponent, or in a TV show with bouncing balls.
The team has picked up their play of late, but they still aren't good and they are only a loss or two out of the top (bottom) ten.

Reactions: JetsUK

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
If St. Louis is favoured team we seem to have their number.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

I prefer to take my chance at a lottery win, getting a good player with the 1st round pick Chevy didn't trade for a rental because we were clearly out of it at the TDL and our next coach doing a better job with this lineup. :nod:

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

jrs

Oct 11, 2017
jets should try and have more special events this year.

bluefan

Nov 18, 2011
Looks like the tank being suspended there was just for an oil change or something. Tanks back on, thank goodness.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Tank mode seems to be realistic option.

It has been more and more difficult to see any real chances and prospects for/in the Playoffs with this roster and recent playing, even if they manage pull it together to even make it there.

There are too many and too big holes in the roster, and lack of cohesion in the team's lineup...

Highway1

Jan 9, 2017
Official, no Buff, no Little.........no TDL additions to the Jets. Trade away few vets that you can and grab some picks. Then soft tank it and grab the best 1st Rd pick you can get.
Totally agree. We have a ton of cap space with Buff ‘s situation and having Little on injury reserve after the trade deadline. Neither contract will go against the cap so hopefully Chevy can use this to our advantage and add a couple of picks or prospects.

Last edited:

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Totally agree. We have a ton of cap space with Buff ‘s situation and having Little on injury reserve after the trade deadline. Neither contract will go against the cap so hopefully Chevy can use this to our advantage and add a couple of picks.

We have been a bubble team with csp space before a few times and never added picks by acquiring expiring contracts. What makes you think Chevy will do this now ?

I think the money saved is worth more then the draft picks

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
We have been a bubble team with csp space before a few times and never added picks by acquiring expiring contracts. What makes you think Chevy will do this now ?

I think the money saved is worth more then the draft picks
This is an interesting point. If we are out of it Chevy might want to get a couple more picks taking on expiring contracts, but his boss might want to conserve the operating capital and do a little profit taking. If you don't have playoff revenue to help turn a profit another way to do it is spend below the cap on salaries. I'll be curious if we go the other way and try to shed some salary ourselves.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
This is an interesting point. If we are out of it Chevy might want to get a couple more picks taking on expiring contracts, but his boss might want to conserve the operating capital and do a little profit taking. If you don't have playoff revenue to help turn a profit another way to do it is spend below the cap on salaries. I'll be curious if we go the other way and try to shed some salary ourselves.

I've said the same thing in the past, while I hope they take on expiring deals for picks......in a private business it's their right not to and save the money. Not having bottomless bank account is a small market reality and especially one with the smallest rink in the league. It's part of the reality of business in the NHL and small markets in Canada and should go into a fans consideration if they cheer for the team or not, b/c complaining about it is pointless and non logical.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Speaking of Buff - we still haven't heard anything official about his contract being terminated. What's the holdup?

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Speaking of Buff - we still haven't heard anything official about his contract being terminated. What's the holdup?

I know just get it done already.....rip off the bandaid. I suspect negotiations on the settlement is dragging on......possibly intentionally by one or both sides. Personally one part of me hopes its not settled until after the TDL so Chevy isn't tempted to do any trades. Buff might be using the TDL as leverage to get a bigger settlement and Jets might want to settle before or after the TDL depending if they privately want to make any trades or not (ie the TDL might be a convient accuse as well for them not to make any deals b/c buff situation isn't settled).

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

I'll be interested in seeing how the team plays (effort wise) down the stretch, if they think this is the plan.
That may play a role in which way they go at the deadline.
What's the dialogue / approach in the room if this is the plan?

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
As much as I'm a pro-tank guy, let's put it on hold for one night. There are entirely too many Hawks fans in this city, and I want Toews' Toadies sent home unhappy. :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad