2019-2020 St. Louis Blues - Defending the Cup - Part 3: The Prelude to Playoff Positioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Unlike MLB, the NHL and the players have a formula that shares the pain of reduced income stream - the escrow system.

Looks like the NHL owners are covered if next season is shortened or played without fans. With attendance income totaling 40% of revenue, the owners are covered for 30% of the players pay due to escrow and deferral.

There is a paragraph in the MOU that might put some player salary in jeopardy in that case. Though it is likely not their intention to use it, the NHL has seemingly preserved the ability to invoke Paragraph 17 in player contracts in the case of COVID-19. Paragraph 17 states that “if any condition arising from a state of war or other cause beyond League control” that the NHL has the power to cease or reduce operations, which would give them the ability to pro-rate or cancel salaries altogether. The MOU language only restricts a team from individually invoking Paragraph 17, so the NHLPA did reserve the right to challenge the applicability of Paragraph 17 as it relates to COVID-19.

But that means a worst-case scenario is still on the table for NHL players. If the league shortens to a hypothetical 48-game season, then players could receive just 70 per cent of their share of 48 games’ worth of pay, which is the pro-rated amount minus 20 per cent for escrow withholding and a 10 per cent deferral. That is all language the NHLPA and BOG are voting on today.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Actually it's remarkable what New York did to turn their explosion around completely. There is a way to get this under some sort of control.

But it requires discipline by the population following an out of control disaster that kills thousands first. California, Florida and Texas will probably follow that pattern.
Uh...what? NY did the sun total of jack squat. They let it burn through their most vulnerable populations and kill thousands of elderly folks. They never even shut down the subways. The only way to even remotely describe NY’s handling is unmitigated disaster.

Reactions: SIU LAW

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Uh...what? NY did the sun total of jack squat. They let it burn through their most vulnerable populations and kill thousands of elderly folks. They never even shut down the subways. The only way to even remotely describe NY’s handling is unmitigated disaster.

I get that people don't like New York but the numbers don't lie

COVID-19: Data Summary - NYC Health

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Florida has reported a record-shattering 15,300 new COVID-19 cases, total reaches 269,811

BTW, this is higher then the peak in New York

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
Just a matter of time before someone tests positive in the bubble. Everyone seems to believe that if its on Canadian soil all people will be spared. Time will tell I guess.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Just a matter of time before someone tests positive in the bubble. Everyone seems to believe that if its on Canadian soil all people will be spared. Time will tell I guess.

That's not quite the perception... In general, Canadian COVID numbers are considerably lower than the US - lower population density, people more willing and likely to follow social distancing policies.

So, hosting things in Canada means a lower likelihood of a case occuring in the first place, as there are fewer infected to spread the disease. In theory, if the bubble is maintained there should be no cases inside the bubble after training camps wrap up. Despite all precautions, I can't see there being no cases period - I just hope it's caught quickly and contained. There's too many variables to control everything.

Viewing lower numbers across the board as SAFER and saying there's no risk are entirely different statements. I don't think anyone has said that there is 0 risk with the format - and I'd gladly discuss viewpoint which is grossly misinformed.

I mean 25 new cases in BC today, no new cases in the BC Northern health district in 31 days... Not really relevant because Edmonton is over 700km East of me and Alberta numbers have been much higher than BC numbers - but I thought I'd share that fact. (288,509 population dispersed over 617,271 square kilometres for the region).

That doesn't mean that I don't take precautions when I head out, but it also means that my life is almost back to normal, with smaller circle of people I interact with closely. I'm still waiting for my work recall - that's the last thing I'm waiting on to call life back on track more or less (ignoring the financial ramifications I'm looking at over the next few years).

Reactions: LetsGoBLUES91

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
That's not quite the perception... In general, Canadian COVID numbers are considerably lower than the US - lower population density, people more willing and likely to follow social distancing policies.

So, hosting things in Canada means a lower likelihood of a case occuring in the first place, as there are fewer infected to spread the disease. In theory, if the bubble is maintained there should be no cases inside the bubble after training camps wrap up. Despite all precautions, I can't see there being no cases period - I just hope it's caught quickly and contained. There's too many variables to control everything.

Viewing lower numbers across the board as SAFER and saying there's no risk are entirely different statements. I don't think anyone has said that there is 0 risk with the format - and I'd gladly discuss viewpoint which is grossly misinformed.

I mean 25 new cases in BC today, no new cases in the BC Northern health district in 31 days... Not really relevant because Edmonton is over 700km East of me and Alberta numbers have been much higher than BC numbers - but I thought I'd share that fact. (288,509 population dispersed over 617,271 square kilometres for the region).

That doesn't mean that I don't take precautions when I head out, but it also means that my life is almost back to normal, with smaller circle of people I interact with closely. I'm still waiting for my work recall - that's the last thing I'm waiting on to call life back on track more or less (ignoring the financial ramifications I'm looking at over the next few years).
That is good news then. Glad to hear that the numbers are much lower

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013

I'm still confused on why they aren't going to the hub cities earlier. Like this weekend. Get them there, test them, and then if needed they can quarantine for a full 2 week period. I don't like that they aren't showing up until the 26th and have games on the 1st. I'm still excited though.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Florida has reported a record-shattering 15,300 new COVID-19 cases, total reaches 269,811

BTW, this is higher then the peak in New York

FWIW, it's coming out now that a whole bunch of testing clinics in FL (specifically the Tampa/Orlando areas) have been reporting 100% positive tests. A typo? Some other type of mistake? Political? Who knows. But it seems that it may not be quite as bad as we are fearing.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
FWIW, it's coming out now that a whole bunch of testing clinics in FL (specifically the Tampa/Orlando areas) have been reporting 100% positive tests. A typo? Some other type of mistake? Political? Who knows. But it seems that it may not be quite as bad as we are fearing.

The whole damn thing is fishy to me

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
The whole damn thing is fishy to me
I don’t doubt that various numbers are being massaged for effect, but there are some basic facts that are difficult to fudge. The numbers of hospitalizations and ICU admissions with Covid are up in my county and in many other counties in Texas. I get a daily census of multiple hospitals. I expect we’ll see a bump in deaths in my area proportionate to the ICU cases.

Fortunately the hospitals are not being overwhelmed (although they are close to capacity) and the treatment for Covid is more effective based on what we’ve learned since the pandemic started. Locally, there are trials using convalescent antibodies, as one example.

High population, high population density areas either had early spikes or are having them now. I’m starting to believe that the social distancing and sheltering measures can’t really prevent Covid from going through the community, but just affect the timing.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
I'm still confused on why they aren't going to the hub cities earlier. Like this weekend. Get them there, test them, and then if needed they can quarantine for a full 2 week period. I don't like that they aren't showing up until the 26th and have games on the 1st. I'm still excited though.

If I had to make a guess - it's practice facilities (lack thereof). With 12 teams in one hub, I don't think you have enough ice surfaces for a proper training camp. Especially when you add in group size restrictions and sanitizing procedures between groups.

The NHL or NHLPA (not sure which) was painstakingly clear about the need for NHL dressing rooms and facilities in order to accommodate the sanitizing between groups - there's no way to get 12 teams enough ice time to get back up to game speed before the playoffs if they are sharing a small handful of rinks between them while following the established safety procedures.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
If I had to make a guess - it's practice facilities (lack thereof). With 12 teams in one hub, I don't think you have enough ice surfaces for a proper training camp. Especially when you add in group size restrictions and sanitizing procedures between groups.

The NHL or NHLPA (not sure which) was painstakingly clear about the need for NHL dressing rooms and facilities in order to accommodate the sanitizing between groups - there's no way to get 12 teams enough ice time to get back up to game speed before the playoffs if they are sharing a small handful of rinks between them while following the established safety procedures.
I was thinking it was probably just down to the preference by the players, being isolated from their families for a shorter time.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
he was present on Monday/Tuesday then got yanked, yes? To me, that indicates that we may not see Dunn for another ~ 12 days or so.

Looks like he’ll be back in time for Rd 1. I hope he skates by himself to stay in shape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->