2019-2020 St. Louis Blues - Defending the Cup - Part 3: The Prelude to Playoff Positioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Announcement today from multiple sources that play-in round will be best-of-5 and all subsequent playoff rounds will be best-of-7. Round robin for Top 4 teams in each conference will determine seeding, with regular season points percentage as a tie breaker.

There will also be a provision that re-seeds teams after the play-in round and after the first round. "Home ice" for conference finals and SCF will be based on regular season points percentage regardless of any changes in the Top 4 due to the Round Robin play.

All in all, about the best outcome possible for how they've chosen to play this thing as far as I'm concerned.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Announcement today from multiple sources that play-in round will be best-of-5 and all subsequent playoff rounds will be best-of-7. Round robin for Top 4 teams in each conference will determine seeding, with regular season points percentage as a tie breaker.

There will also be a provision that re-seeds teams after the play-in round and after the first round. "Home ice" for conference finals and SCF will be based on regular season points percentage regardless of any changes in the Top 4 due to the Round Robin play.

All in all, about the best outcome possible for how they've chosen to play this thing as far as I'm concerned.
I've also seen reports that they'll reseed after every round. I'm very surprised, not really sure how that will affect things. I guess it will make it tougher on a lower seed to sneak into the Final. If they do, they'll at least have to earn it by playing a tough team every round.

brokeu91

Jul 4, 2017
Rhode Island
Does anybody else have the same feeling that this years team was sort of cruising and holding back until the playoffs started? It just seemed like the Blues would play well when they needed to and we’re not going full throttle. It could have been that they were worn out from the short offseason. But to me they just seemed like they knew what was important and as long as they made the playoffs that was important and they were going to turn up the intensity about four notches when the playoffs started. That’s why I think this team has a good chance to repeat. That and they were winning without their best goal scorer who should be back and healthy.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Does anybody else have the same feeling that this years team was sort of cruising and holding back until the playoffs started? It just seemed like the Blues would play well when they needed to and we’re not going full throttle. It could have been that they were worn out from the short offseason. But to me they just seemed like they knew what was important and as long as they made the playoffs that was important and they were going to turn up the intensity about four notches when the playoffs started. That’s why I think this team has a good chance to repeat. That and they were winning without their best goal scorer who should be back and healthy.
Yeah, but...

I don't know that their style will be *as* effective this season, as it was last year when they clearly won the battle of attrition over the long-haul. With every team practically 100% healthy, going full throttle physically may not have the same impact this year as last, when opponents came into the series hobbled and exited hurt. I think if the Blues are to repeat this year, the talent of their depth is what will separate them from their opponents, and not necessarily their physical imposition...which will still be an effective game-strategy; but may not generate quite the advantage this year than last. There's a good chance that as the Blues enter each successive round (assuming they can advance) that they'll enter as the more dinged-up team, so they've got to play smart and rely on depth. The defense and goaltending should be up for the task however, as those units proved to be major advantages throughout last year's run, and I'd expect that to remain the same this year.

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
He may not have done as much during the regular season, but rewatching the playoff games has given me a new appreciation for Maroon’s contributions. I don’t see who on the roster is going to provide that element as effectively.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
He may not have done as much during the regular season, but rewatching the playoff games has given me a new appreciation for Maroon’s contributions. I don’t see who on the roster is going to provide that element as effectively.

DisloyalBoilingGrebe-small.gif

you just know he's going to make an appearance somehow.

Reactions: Ranksu

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I think it'll have to be Sanford. That's why I wouldn't mind keeping all the other lines the same as they were in last year's playoffs and putting him with Bozak and Thomas to play a similar role.

I'm intrigued to see how he looks upon returning. Hopefully he can keep playing at the level he was at and has legitimately taken that next step.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I think it'll have to be Sanford. That's why I wouldn't mind keeping all the other lines the same as they were in last year's playoffs and putting him with Bozak and Thomas to play a similar role.

I'm intrigued to see how he looks upon returning. Hopefully he can keep playing at the level he was at and has legitimately taken that next step.

I agree! It'll be really helpful if Sanford can play all through the playoffs the way he was playing the last few weeks of the season.

Klank Loves You

Feb 21, 2015
I imagine that this year of all years, the playoffs with be a crap-shoot. It really wouldn't surprise me if more offensive minded teams found unusually success this year. With such a big lay-off, i imagine that there will be more cracks in team-defense than usual for playoff caliber teams.

Anyone else not a fan of re-seeding? While we didnt play the Blackhawks last year, we overcame that monkey in 2016. It would be a shame if Toronto made it through the bracket without having to beat Boston.

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I imagine that this year of all years, the playoffs with be a crap-shoot. It really wouldn't surprise me if more offensive minded teams found unusually success this year. With such a big lay-off, i imagine that there will be more cracks in team-defense than usual for playoff caliber teams.

Anyone else not a fan of re-seeding? While we didnt play the Blackhawks last year, we overcame that monkey in 2016. It would be a shame if Toronto made it through the bracket without having to beat Boston.
I think the point is to make it as hard as possible for a low seeded team to win through. They’ll have to play the toughest team every round. But the caveat is that the top 4 seeding will be dependent on the round robin games. They’ve become pretty meaningful.

With the Reseeding we won’t get the two best teams matched up in the second round on either side. The biggest benefit of reseeding is that getting one big upset win doesn’t reward a team with an easier matchup in the next round.

I’ve come around to this format and I’m really looking forward to some playoff hockey.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada

I am SO hoping Columbus takes out Toronto!

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018

Sanford certainly has talent but he is not the same player as maroon by any means. Im not saying sanford isnt better, sanford has shown an ability to score and use good hands and is infinitely more talented, but he definitely isnt the force on the boards maroon is nor plays anywhere near maroons physical style. He has size but doesnt really use it.

He may be able to co tribute with bozak and thomas but it wont be filling same role maroon has.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Sanford certainly has talent but he is not the same player as maroon by any means. Im not saying sanford isnt better, sanford has shown an ability to score and use good hands and is infinitely more talented, but he definitely isnt the force on the boards maroon is nor plays anywhere near maroons physical style. He has size but doesnt really use it.

He may be able to co tribute with bozak and thomas but it wont be filling same role maroon has.
I think he does play similar. Sanford has really improved at holding the puck down low and consistently goes to the front of the net, which are really the only 2 things Maroon was good at.

I also don't get why people still say Sanford isn't physical. He absolutely is, and throws some pretty hard hits. I'd say he's a better hitter than Maroon, and he has shown a willingness to engage in scrums and play with an edge. It definitely took him a while to get to this point, but as he's grown into his body, he's been using his size for the past calendar year.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I think he does play similar. Sanford has really improved at holding the puck down low and consistently goes to the front of the net, which are really the only 2 things Maroon was good at.

I also don't get why people still say Sanford isn't physical. He absolutely is, and throws some pretty hard hits. I'd say he's a better hitter than Maroon, and he has shown a willingness to engage in scrums and play with an edge. It definitely took him a while to get to this point, but as he's grown into his body, he's been using his size for the past calendar year.
Yes during the last month of the season, Sanford was playing a solid physical game. I hope he picks right up where he left off.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
It's gonna be nice watching hockey again, but at the same time I'm kinda mad that they're coming back because I really want to see what happens with Petro and the rest of the roster. Normally we would be finding out within these next 3 weeks. Now we may have to wait until November. :(

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
It's gonna be nice watching hockey again, but at the same time I'm kinda mad that they're coming back because I really want to see what happens with Petro and the rest of the roster. Normally we would be finding out within these next 3 weeks. Now we may have to wait until November. :(
Does not compute.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Several Major League Baseball players and coaches have tested positive for COVID-19, which MLB says could also delay start of season

This isn’t good for all sports

Reactions: Devonator

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Several Major League Baseball players and coaches have tested positive for COVID-19, which MLB says could also delay start of season

This isn’t good for all sports
The fact that there is no time frame of when these infections occurred, it smells very much like a leak of info by MLB to attempt to get more leverage over the players.

Spear

Anonymous source FOR HIRE
Sponsor
Mar 31, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Baseball is a mess. With their CBA expiring after the 2021 season, I think we'll see more bickering than baseball being played.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad