2019-2020 St. Louis Blues - Defending the Cup - Part 1: Off-Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
And Somehow, the Stanley Cup runner-up (loser) gets 4 love-fest telecasts!

Keep 'em! I'd rather have any other feed than NBC. Including some of the bastard broadcasts I've caught in Punjabi without English subtitles, because at least I know there's something of substance behind the gibberish... Pierre's commentary is English, but has about as much substance as a foreign language...

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I dont understand why there isn't alternative option for own team coverage when NBC is broadcasting?

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
I dont understand why there isn't alternative option for own team coverage when NBC is broadcasting?

Because everyone would just watch their home network's coverage, meaning NBC just spent a zillion dollars to broadcast games that no one is watching on their network. That seems like bad business.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Because everyone would just watch their home network's coverage, meaning NBC just spent a zillion dollars to broadcast games that no one is watching on their network. That seems like bad business.
Now comes stupid question. Does NBC affect general team cap rise or have I understand it wrong.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Now comes stupid question. Does NBC affect general team cap rise or have I understand it wrong.
They do. The salary cap is determined based on the 50% of Hockey Related Revenue (HRR) earned by all teams and the league that go to the players. The broadcast rights fees paid by NBC and other contributes to HRR. NBC's exclusive rights to US national broadcasts are up shortly, and the cap is expected to rise, perhaps significantly, once the new broadcast contracts start. I've heard several times that this time around it will be shared by NBC and ESPN.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
We started a season ticket wait list for the first time this summer. Crazy.

Congratulations to Mr. Stillman, the ownership group, Doug Armstrong and the entire management.

You have done more than win a Stanley Cup. For maybe the first time you have turned the Blues into a model franchise with an outstanding business foundation that will endure.

Thanks.

Reactions: shmotz and Blueston

Rarename91

Jan 18, 2019
I want hockey back now its boring with out and my phillies are blowing their playoff chances

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
how do know the same crap wont happen again where we have a terrible start?
We don't, but with the Blues having been the best team in hockey from January through June, and without any major changes, I think the chances of that happening are pretty low.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Random post but if he wasn't already, Alex Pietrangelo has gotta be one of the most underrated players in the league.

Maybe I'm just looking at the wrong discussions but through Twitter, it's shocking to me how many Blues fans think Parayko is better than Pietrangelo.

I love both guys but Petro is clearly the best defenseman on this team.

Bouwmeester-Parayko gets deemed the shutdown pairing this season and all of the sudden it's like Pietrangelo hasn't been playing elite defense since he was 21 years old? And still putting up 50-55 points a season. People forget quickly. And tbh Bouwmeester works better with Parayko because he's not good enough to play with AP anymore.

Guys like Karlsson and Burns can put up more points but you can't name many defensemen who have a better all-around game than Petro. I know we have some people on here who rip on him too but man, sometimes I do gotta stop and realize how damn good this guy is.

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
Random post but if he wasn't already, Alex Pietrangelo has gotta be one of the most underrated players in the league.

Maybe I'm just looking at the wrong discussions but through Twitter, it's shocking to me how many Blues fans think Parayko is better than Pietrangelo.

Bouwmeester-Parayko gets deemed the shutdown pairing this season and all of the sudden it's like Pietrangelo hasn't been playing elite defense since he was 21 years old? And still putting up 50-55 points a season. People forget quickly. And tbh Bouwmeester works better with Parayko because he's not good enough to play with AP anymore.

Guys like Karlsson and Burns can put up more points but you can't name many defensemen who have a better all-around game than Petro. I know we have some people on here who rip on him too but man, sometimes I do gotta stop and realize how damn good this guy is.
Those were also the same people that wanted to trade him

Reactions: Thallis

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

He had a bad start to the season and add the "new" fanbase, I can see how some get that perception. Its hard for some to see the things that make AP27 so damn good. Him being 11th on the NHL list was....:thumbd:

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I will never get over how many people, including some posters here, who criticize Petro's shot. It's not a booming slapper like Parayko, but he has just as good of a shot as Parayko overall, if not better. His certainly ends up in the net more often.

List of Dmen with more goals than Petro over the last three years:
Burns
Hamilton
Hedman

That's it. That's the entire list.

Overall he does so many little things that are hard to recognize, especially on TV. We are so fortunate to have him and he's worth every penny of the 9+M he's going to sign for in his next extension, especially since he's been playing at an elite level for 6.5M/year for the past 6 years.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I will never get over how many people, including some posters here, who criticize Petro's shot. It's not a booming slapper like Parayko, but he has just as good of a shot as Parayko overall, if not better. His certainly ends up in the net more often.

Burns
Hamilton
Hedman

Overall he does so many little things that are hard to recognize, especially on TV. We are so fortunate to have him and he's worth every penny of the 9+M he's going to sign for in his next extension, especially since he's been playing at an elite level for 6.5M/year for the past 6 years.
Great stat. It’s hard to understand how someone could watch the Finals and see how much offense he contributed, and still not appreciate that facet of his game. The Cup-clinching goal was a beautiful play. Other than Robert Bortuzzo, how many defenders can finish like that?

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
He had a bad start to the season and add the "new" fanbase, I can see how some get that perception. Its hard for some to see the things that make AP27 so damn good. Him being 11th on the NHL list was....:thumbd:

I'm fine with him being #11. I'd take one year of Petro over one year of at least 3 of the guys ahead of him on that list, but I also get the argument in favor of those players.

But even assuming he is somewhere between 10-15 on everyone's list, my frustration is people who would rather watch him walk for nothing than paying a top 10-15 NHL D man a top 5 AAV as a UFA. That's the cost of doing business when you're talking about the top tier of talent in pro sports.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Burns
Hamilton
Hedman

Parayko is tied at 50th in that time frame for anyone who is curious. 42-20 goals in favor of Petro over those 3 years. 30-10 at even strength (Petro is also 4th while Parayko falls to 111th)

Not trying to criticize Parayko at all. I love Parayko and agree with the NHL that he is in the top 20 of NHL D man. But just pointing out exactly how much more offense Petro brings to the table than Parayko. We have two incredibly good RHD whose strengths compliment each other very, very well. This insistence on picking one is silly. We should be doing everything we can to keep them together for 5+ more years. They are quite literally the backbone to our roster construction.

Last edited:

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Parayko is tied at 50th in that time frame for anyone who is curious. 42-20 goals in favor of Petro over those 3 years. 30-10 at even strength (Petro is also 4th while Parayko falls to 111th)

Not trying to criticize Parayko at all. I love Parayko and agree with the NHL that he is in the top 20 of NHL D man. But just pointing out exactly how much more offense Petro brings to the table than Parayko. We have two incredibly good RHD whose strengths compliment each other very, very well. This insistence on picking one is silly. We should be doing everything we can to keep them together for 5+ more years. They are quite literally the backbone to our roster construction.
I’m reminded of the Blues’ choice of when to cut bait on EJ. Could have potentially run a similar tandem. But they correctly read the situation much earlier than the ‘experts’ on this board, that Pietro was the franchise player and they should recoup what they could from Johnson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad