Prospect Info: 2019-2020 Senators Prospects Watch Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think it’s an overpayment. The hole created in the system by Brannsteom leaving would take 2-3 years to recover from.

He might not be the next EK we expected, but he’s going to be a solid and dynamic offensive player. And we’ll need that attack so become an elite team.
This team could take 2 or 3 yrs to become a playoff team, if not longer. There is lots of time for whoever we draft this yr to be NHL ready by then, in the meantime Wolanin IMO is the better player now & could hold that spot for a while. Guhle as an example has NHL size, is a very good skater & has offensive potential. While Brannstrom might be a better passer, IMO Guhle could be the better all around player. Having said that though, I doubt PD does much if anything inside the top 10.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think it’s an overpayment. The hole created in the system by Brannsteom leaving would take 2-3 years to recover from.

He might not be the next EK we expected, but he’s going to be a solid and dynamic offensive player. And we’ll need that attack so become an elite team.

What hole?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
This team could take 2 or 3 yrs to become a playoff team, if not longer. There is lots of time for whoever we draft this yr to be NHL ready by then, in the meantime Wolanin IMO is the better player now & could hold that spot for a while. Guhle as an example has NHL size, is a very good skater & has offensive potential. While Brannstrom might be a better passer, IMO Guhle could be the better all around player. Having said that though, I doubt PD does much if anything inside the top 10.

Getting Buf and Stuz would be amazing, throw in Tierney, Duclair, A goalie and some picks but I’d stay away from trading any of the D or the core prospect pieces (Batherson, Norris, Pinto, Formenton, L. brown)

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Those Crookshank highlights look great. He has a nose for the net and loves to shoot (led his team by a lot in shots on goal). Looks like he's headed back for his junior year. Hopefully he packs on some muscle and contends for a spot on the Sens in the future.
Could be a third liner (?) Will have some pretty serious competition looks like. On second thought probably not.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
We have no dman ... Brannstrom is nearly ready to play and Sanderson is probably 2+ years away.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Those Crookshank highlights look great. He has a nose for the net and loves to shoot (led his team by a lot in shots on goal). Looks like he's headed back for his junior year. Hopefully he packs on some muscle and contends for a spot on the Sens in the future.
I like that he drove the net at every opportunity but could also score from distance. Not sure how good his shot really is but the highlights seem to show it's above average.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Brannstrom's lack of size, strength & skating issues are exactly the reason I think we can replace him in this draft. Sanderson would make him expendable & IMO we should use him to acquire another 1st rd pick.

I don't think they targeted him in the Mark Stone trade to not do anything with him and "replace" him before he really gets his chance to prove himself.

Maybe he could be packaged for a big acquisition like it was mentionned in the rumours thread (Sergachev) but if not, he's not going to disappear just like that.

I wouldn't mind having Sanderson but I hope it wouldn't be with any of the top-5 picks we have. Please Dorion. If you can get him with the Isles and a 2nd round pick, then sure but if not I'd just be happy to get out of the draft with a combination of Byfield/Stutzle/Raymond/Drysdale/Jarvis/Quinn

Byfield/Drysdale/Jarvis would be S.I.C.K.

Joey Honda Accord to the rescue baby!

Count on it, he will be our#1 goalie a year from now.

Ya'll are sleeping on him. He had the 2nd best SV% in the AHL among rookies. He will dominate this season coming up while getting some call ups due to injuries from Nilsson, and the season after, he will steal Hogberg's spot.

Not to mention he was pretty elite in the NCAA in 2018-19. It's true that a lot of people seem to be sleeping on him. You don't hear much about him but the guy has what it takes IMO.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Frank8

Sep 19, 2013
Pretty sure the large majority would, Brannstrom doesn’t have top 10 value.
This is insanity, you guys didn't know who Sanderson was until five minutes ago and Brannstrom is still one of the top D prospects in the league.

Reactions: NB613

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
This is insanity, you guys didn't know who Sanderson was until five minutes ago and Brannstrom is still one of the top D prospects in the league.
Just because you’re not sure who someone is doesn’t mean other don’t, especially when it’s a guy who has been touted as a top 10 pick for over half a year, and a first rounder for 2 years. Brannstrom isn’t one of the top D prospects in the league imo, and he certainly doesn’t have the standalone value of a top 10 pick. 5’9 D aren’t exactly a hot commodity.

Brannstrom has the 3 development years, that’s valuable to GM’s, but value wise as a prospect, not sure there would be many/any GM’s that take Brannstrom.

Last edited:
Reactions: HzH

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Brannstrom has the 3 development years, that’s valuable to GM’s, but value wise as a prospect, not sure there would be many/any GM’s that take Brannstrom.

Agree with rest of post but last sentence is a bit outlandish. Brannstrom put up excellent rookie numbers at 19 then matched it with flirting around PPG his second time around with better defensive game. The guy was going coast to coast almost every game towards the end. He def is one of the top D prospects in the league. Maybe not near the top top but guy's a beast.

Reactions: NB613

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Agree with rest of post but last sentence is a bit outlandish. Brannstrom put up excellent rookie numbers at 19 then matched it with flirting around PPG his second time around with better defensive game. The guy was going coast to coast almost every game towards the end. He def is one of the top D prospects in the league. Maybe not near the top top but guy's a beast.
Yes he’s a very good prospect, but league wide I can think of lots of guys off the top of my head I take over him. I never see Brannstrom as a top pairing D, which to me isn’t a top D prospect.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I watched pretty close to all of Belleville's games. I do not recall him going coast to coast.; not that that's a huge deal for anything other than a highlight.. I do not think he has the speed unless its 3 on 3 or something like that.
He is a good skater, he thinks the game well; can escape the fore checker, can pass the puck. Defensively not great, not terrible. Age difference aside... Brannstrom did not have the same kind of dominant presence that Wolanin did the previous (pre injury) year and Brannstom's team was better. I found Brannstrom tried to do too much initially and had to make adjustments on that. I don't think teams will look at him as a #1 . Is he an Offensive D or a 2 way D.? If he is a 2nd pair guy.. Are you going to pair him with another sub 6'1 D with average foot speed.. so IMO the versatility of where you can slot him (depending on your lineup) ,, could be limited for an ideal deployment; To me its the package. Assuming they are equal from an IQ perspective... What's the difference between Brannstrom, Sam Girard and Quinn Hughes...Mete is probably a closer comparable.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Can you name them if you don't mind
Probably miss a few without looking leaguewide, but without looking guys I view as better for sure I can think of I consider these guys top defensive prospects, or top pairing guys.

Sieder
Dobson
Smith
Boqvust
Romanov
Byram

Then a bunch of guys I’d be fine if someone viewed as valuable as Brannstrom, who I’d consider very good D prospects, but don’t view as top pairing guys without large improvements in areas. Brannstrom is in this category for me.

Lindkvist
Harley
Sandin
Perunivich
Miller
Broberg
Soderstrom
Hinola
Timmons

Both Drysdale and Sanderson are in the top category for me, and there is a big difference in the two tiers.

Last edited:

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I found it very frustrating that he wasnt deployed on the power play, so no one could really assess his offensive talents aside from 5 on 5, where Ottawa wasnt very strong, particularly in their own end.

I really liked how his game progressed though. He really thinks the game at a high level and is an excellent passer and quite a shifty little player.

If he can put some offense up at the NHL level like he does in the ahl, we have quite a prospect. That can be a big if though obviously

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
I always think of Ryan Ellis in Nashville when I see Erik Brannstrom play.
Pretty much identical in size and similar style of play. Brannstrom maybe not as physical in his own zone as Ellis.
But can skate and move the puck well and has good hockey IQ.
Ellis took about 4 years from his draft year in 2009 to become a regular NHLer.
I think that Brannstrom is on a similar development path and will become a very solid D-man like Ellis.
I think it would be a mistake to trade him as he could be the cornerstone of the second pairing for the next 10 years.

Ryan Ellis (b.1991) Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->