Prospect Info: 2019-2020 Senators Prospects Watch Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Brannstrom's lack of size, strength & skating issues are exactly the reason I think we can replace him in this draft. Sanderson would make him expendable & IMO we should use him to acquire another 1st rd pick.

Maybe we don't need an elite goalie, but goalie issues in the playoffs has plagued this team in the past when the regular season goalies we had melted down in the playoffs where it counts the most. Having an elite goalie will always help you win games, but not having one we have to hope that the goalie we have goes on a run at playoff time. Much better to have one you & the team can depend on than one nobody is sure about or can't win big games.

I would trade Brannstrom and the Isles 1st (13-15OA) for Sanderson in a heartbeat

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Joey Honda Accord to the rescue baby!

Count on it, he will be our#1 goalie a year from now.

Ya'll are sleeping on him. He had the 2nd best SV% in the AHL among rookies. He will dominate this season coming up while getting some call ups due to injuries from Nilsson, and the season after, he will steal Hogberg's spot.
SOA & I have mentioned Daccord numerous times as a goalie we both like & think has NHL potential. However, he is still behind Gustavsson in Belleville & this is the yr where he needs to break out given his age. We're rooting for him too.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
SOA & I have mentioned Daccord numerous times as a goalie we both like & think has NHL potential. However, he is still behind Gustavsson in Belleville & this is the yr where he needs to break out given his age. We're rooting for him too.

He has already outplayed Gus last season. If you listen to Trent Manns interviews you would know which of the goalies he thinks are his #1 goalie. The next step for Accord is dominate the AHL, improve from .915 to maybe .920+ and gets some call ups and experience playing in the NHL.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Brannstrom's lack of size, strength & skating issues are exactly the reason I think we can replace him in this draft. Sanderson would make him expendable & IMO we should use him to acquire another 1st rd pick.

Maybe we don't need an elite goalie, but goalie issues in the playoffs has plagued this team in the past when the regular season goalies we had melted down in the playoffs where it counts the most. Having an elite goalie will always help you win games, but not having one we have to hope that the goalie we have goes on a run at playoff time. Much better to have one you & the team can depend on than one nobody is sure about or can't win big games.
Brannstrom is a natural RD. No need to move him if we get Sanderson.

Reactions: derriko

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Joey Honda Accord to the rescue baby!

Count on it, he will be our#1 goalie a year from now.

Ya'll are sleeping on him. He had the 2nd best SV% in the AHL among rookies. He will dominate this season coming up while getting some call ups due to injuries from Nilsson, and the season after, he will steal Hogberg's spot.

If he’s the guy, I’m totally D’accord with that

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
He has already outplayed Gus last season. If you listen to Trent Manns interviews you would know which of the goalies he thinks are his #1 goalie. The next step for Accord is dominate the AHL, improve from .915 to maybe .920+ and gets some call ups and experience playing in the NHL.
No he didn't, Daccord got to play more when Gustavsson got injured. If & when there is a season again we'll get to see which of the two takes over as the #1 in Belleville. However, I would trade Gustavsson if something came up in this draft to acquire Askarov G.

Brannstrom is a natural RD. No need to move him if we get Sanderson.

Brannstrom is a left shot who can play the right side.

If he’s the guy, I’m totally D’accord with that

hahaha ...

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
No he didn't, Daccord got to play more when Gustavsson got injured. If & when there is a season again we'll get to see which of the two takes over as the #1 in Belleville. However, I would trade Gustavsson if something came up in this draft to acquire Askarov G.

Brannstrom is a left shot who can play the right side.

hahaha ...

Yeah he did. Gus was expected to be the #1 goalie while Daccord started in the ECHL. They ended up playing the same amount of games and he posted much better #s than Gus in his first year compared to Gus’s 3rd AHL season. Gus has yet to show anything since being traded here.

This was Troy Mann’s review of Gus

Compared his review of Accord

“He proved that he’s the No. 1 goalie in the AHL,” Mann said. “I mean, his stats are excellent.”
Daccord’s 2.61 GAA ranked third overall for rookie goalies, while his .915 save percentage ranked second among rookies. Both sat in the top 20 overall (18th and 13th, respectively).

“Joey got lit up for eight or nine one night in Toledo, so he took his licks down there,” Mann said. “But he really did well, and then he came in and, to me, he proved that he is a real viable prospect, that he can be a No. 1 goalie in the league, and he has a chance to play in the NHL.”

This is not my assessment, this is the coaches. Take that as you will.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Yeah he did. Gus was expected to be the #1 goalie while Daccord started in the ECHL. They ended up playing the same amount of games and he posted much better #s than Gus in his first year compared to Gus’s 3rd AHL season. Gus has yet to show anything since being traded here.

Yes Daccord is clearly the #1 right now and got better as the season went on.

Let't not forget he may be the best puck handling goalie we have ever had in our system too and that alone can have a pretty significant impact on how much time we spend in our zone and how we are able to transition.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Filip Gustavsson just turned 22, and put together a good enough January to be the AHL’s goalie of the month. Daccord is almost 2 yrs older & while I like him more, I wouldn't write off Gustavsson just yet. Although I would put him in a package to secure a pick to draft Askarov who IMO could be better than any of Ottawa's goalies.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

Yikes those comments about Gus are almost comical. Hes a bust, basically.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
Filip Gustavsson just turned 22, and put together a good enough January to be the AHL’s goalie of the month. Daccord is almost 2 yrs older & while I like him more, I wouldn't write off Gustavsson just yet. Although I would put him in a package to secure a pick to draft Askarov who IMO could be better than any of Ottawa's goalies.
Are we all forgetting about the Mandalorian?

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

No kidding ... when Daccord was 22 he had had just finished a +3.5 GAA season at Arizona state.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
No kidding ... when Daccord was 22 he had had just finished a +3.5 GAA season at Arizona state.

Lol way to cherry pick a stat without providing any context to it. Not to mention the most useless stat to evaluate a Goalie on. A stat that basically shows the quality of the team in front of the goalie than the actual goalie's performance.

Someone forgot to mention that he still posted .909SV% in that season for a team that won 8, EIGHT, count it, 8 Games in total for the whole season, while also facing 37 shots against on average per game. BSens last year he faced 30.

Also the team was so bad that he registered 2 assists (due to his amazing puck movement) which was the equivalent or better than 5 regular skaters on that team!!

The next season the team improved greatly to a 21 win season, his SV% was .926 (one of the highest in the league) and of course the useless stat of GAA at 2.35 (funny how that works eh).

The only thing that Gus has going for him is his age, so he still has time but the franchise seems to be losing patience with him, and players on the depth chart are surpassing him. Mendolese is coming for his spot a year from now if he doesn't improve.

Reactions: Xspyrit and Hank84

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Lol way to cherry pick a stat without providing any context to it. Not to mention the most useless stat to evaluate a Goalie on. A stat that basically shows the quality of the team in front of the goalie than the actual goalie's performance.

Someone forgot to mention that he still posted .909SV% in that season for a team that won 8, EIGHT, count it, 8 Games in total for the whole season, while also facing 37 shots against on average per game. BSens last year he faced 30.

Also the team was so bad that he registered 2 assists (due to his amazing puck movement) which was the equivalent or better than 5 regular skaters on that team!!

The next season the team improved greatly to a 21 win season, his SV% was .926 (one of the highest in the league) and of course the useless stat of GAA at 2.35 (funny how that works eh).

The only thing that Gus has going for him is his age, so he still has time but the franchise seems to be losing patience with him, and players on the depth chart are surpassing him. Mendolese is coming for his spot a year from now if he doesn't improve.

Agreed ! I totally agree with ... They give those “goalie of the month” awards to anyone these days ... and clearly Joey D’s amazing play that year was why he was drafted so EARLY.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Where do people get this, " the franchise seems to be losing patience with him"? How do you know that? One comment from one coach means nothing, maybe he was trying to motivate him in the press, who knows? I don't want to defend Gustavsson on here, I'm not that big a fan, but he's not a bad goalie & was voted best goalie in the AHL one week in Jan.

You also mentioned the team in front of goalies & we don't have to go back that far to see that the B-Sens sucked last two season (2017-2018 & 2018 -2019). Remember when Hogberg sucked in Belleville because the Belleville team sucked? Same for Gustavsson. And again, Hogberg was the older goalie who had more experience which is why he played ahead of Gus & was better.

You have to look at the total picture & not cherry pick every detail. This does not mean to say, Gus will become some kind of star goalie for the Sens, I have no idea, in fact, I usually have him in trade proposals. But he isn't that bad either & could turn into a decent backup & maybe a #1 someday for some NHL team. I have no doubt that Mandolese will start the season in the ECHL & will move up if a goalie ahead of him is either traded or hurt.

Reactions: derriko

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Call me crazy but I wouldn't do Brannstrom for Sanderson straight up.

I can understand this sentiment, even if I don't necessarily agree with it. People are underrating Brann's performance.

He was OK, nothing more, in the NHL as a 20 year old D. But he was pretty dominant in the AHL with 23 points in 27 games and a +12, for what that's worth. Let's not forget that Brannstrom is about 4 months YOUNGER than Josh Norris. Everybody is head over heels about Norris's season, and rightfully so. Brann was almost as impressive in his stint and doesn't seem to be getting the same rave reviews.

I'd certainly think about trading Brannstrom for Sanderson straight up, but no way would I trade a 13-21 OA pick with him. I mean would people here trade Norris and the Isles pick for Cole Perfetti or Anton Lundell? I certainly wouldn't.

Brannstrom is going to be a good player.

Reactions: Xspyrit and derriko

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I can understand this sentiment, even if I don't necessarily agree with it. People are underrating Brann's performance.

He was OK, nothing more, in the NHL as a 20 year old D. But he was pretty dominant in the AHL with 23 points in 27 games and a +12, for what that's worth. Let's not forget that Brannstrom is about 4 months YOUNGER than Josh Norris. Everybody is head over heels about Norris's season, and rightfully so. Brann was almost as impressive in his stint and doesn't seem to be getting the same rave reviews.

I'd certainly think about trading Brannstrom for Sanderson straight up, but no way would I trade a 13-21 OA pick with him. I mean would people here trade Norris and the Isles pick for Cole Perfetti or Anton Lundell? I certainly wouldn't.

Brannstrom is going to be a good player.
What about the 5th & Brannstrom to get the 2nd OA, although I doubt anyone moves a pick in the top 5? That would give Ott Byfield & Stutzle which IMO is what we should have had from the start before the f***ing lottery. They could then get a RWer later on in the draft or wait until the 2021 draft & target a player like Dylan Guenther RW in the 1st rd. And use #21 & #33 in this draft to secure a 2nd pairing defensive tandem as a replacement for Brannstrom. With all of the assets (picks & prospects) at their disposal they have a lot of options, although maybe not necessarily in the top 10.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
What about the 5th & Brannstrom to get the 2nd OA, although I doubt anyone moves a pick in the top 5? That would give Ott Byfield & Stutzle which IMO is what we should have had from the start before the f***ing lottery. They could then get a RWer later on in the draft or wait until the 2021 draft & target a player like Dylan Guenther RW in the 1st rd. And use #21 & #33 in this draft to secure a 2nd pairing defensive tandem as a replacement for Brannstrom. With all of the assets (picks & prospects) at their disposal they have a lot of options, although maybe not necessarily in the top 10.
I'd do that

Reactions: aragorn

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

I think it’s an overpayment. The hole created in the system by Brannsteom leaving would take 2-3 years to recover from.

He might not be the next EK we expected, but he’s going to be a solid and dynamic offensive player. And we’ll need that attack so become an elite team.

Reactions: derriko and NB613
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->