Salary Cap: 2019-2020 Salary Cap Crunch

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Couldn't find an existing thread, so lets discuss how we'll fit Matthews / Marner etc in 2019/2020.

I for one don't think we'll be unloading Marleau, so thats going to add an extra level of difficulties.... However the cap SHOULD go up again...

A scenerio I wouldn't mind right now:

2019/2020

Trade: Brown/Levio/Kapanen/Carrick for picks/futures

Lets say Salary Cap goes up to 82M

Grundstrom (925K) - Tavares (11M) - Marner (7M)
Marleau (6.25M) - Matthews (10M) - Nylander (6.5M)
Johnsson (1.425M) - Kadri (4.5M) - Hyman (2.25M)
Marchment (767.5K) - Lindholm (1.2M) - Korshkov (925K)
Gauthier (675K)

Gardiner (6.5M) - Rielly (5M)
Dermott (0.863K) - Zaitsev (4.5M)
Borgman (1M) - Liljegren (895K)
Hainsey (1M)
Ozhiganov (1.2M)

Andersen (5M)
Sparks (750K)

Buyouts: 1.2M
LTIR: Horton (

TOTAL SALARY == 81M == 1M in capspace.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Have there been any projections made regarding increases to the cap next year? Do they need to get an understanding of this year's revenues before anything like that can even be speculated on?

There's a pretty huge difference between what a $1/3/5M increase would mean for us in 2019/20.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Have there been any projections made regarding increases to the cap next year? Do they need to get an understanding of this year's revenues before anything like that can even be speculated on?

There's a pretty huge difference between what a $1/3/5M increase would mean for us in 2019/20.
Seattle.

Reactions: DoobieDubas

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Couldn't find an existing thread, so lets discuss how we'll fit Matthews / Marner etc in 2019/2020.

I for one don't think we'll be unloading Marleau, so thats going to add an extra level of difficulties.... However the cap SHOULD go up again...

2019/2020

Gauthier (675K)

Hainsey (1M)
Ozhiganov (1.2M)

Andersen (5M)
Sparks (750K)

I don't see Marleau, Korshkov, Marchment or the Goat on this team in 19/20

Edit: Or Gardiner

Last edited:

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Cap wise the Leafs will have no problem signing their existing players in 2019/20....except Gardiner.
The Leafs will be cap heavy in forwards. IF they want/need to spend more money on a Dmen, a forward such as Nylander might have to be traded.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
ya in order to fit gardiner...we may have to move johnsson or kapanen whom imo will be good and will eventually cost money, maybe gotta move zaitsev who i like or brown who i like even more, think about giving up stuff to move horton too, cause we dont got much money to spend next year...and if you think dermott and liljegren will be good, you will eventually gotta pay for them on the blueline

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

2019/2020

Gauthier (675K)

Hainsey (1M)
Ozhiganov (1.2M)

Andersen (5M)
Sparks (750K)

I see you have already traded Brown and Kapanen and have resigned Hainsey and have given Ozhiganov 1.2M and resigned gardiner at 6.5M

:facepalm:

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
What don't you understand about Marleau's MMC? He certainly isn't retiring if he's playing well and has a chance for a Cup. If he doesn't retire, he isn't going to a bottom feeder. So he's a Leaf and so is his cap hit.
The NMC clause protected him from being sent down in case he really stunk it up. I believe the handshake agreement that had him agree to not be a Leaf in year 3 was made before he even signed. Why else would anyone structure a contract that way?
I thought everyone knew this.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan

2019/2020

Gauthier (675K)

Hainsey (1M)
Ozhiganov (1.2M)

Andersen (5M)
Sparks (750K)

If this is the roster it will be very frustrating to see the Leafs bring back Gardiner instead of chasing down a right handed option.

Reactions: dsred

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
You can do it on an 82.5 million hit fairly easily

Tavares. 11
Matthews 11
Marner. 7.5
Nylander. 6.5
Marleau. 6.25
Kadri. 4.5
Hyman. 2.25
Brown. 2.1
Grundstrom. .925
Gauthier. .675

Gardiner. 6
Rielly. 5
Zaitsev. 4.5
Dermott. .85
Lilly. .85

Goalies and Kessel. 7

That is 77 million. We have 3 forwards and 2 d to sign. Would have to have cheap depth. And make decisions on Brown vs Hyman vs Kapanen. Vs Johnson etc.

But could totally make it work even with marleau

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The NMC clause protected him from being sent down in case he really stunk it up. I believe the handshake agreement that had him agree to not be a Leaf in year 3 was made before he even signed. Why else would anyone structure a contract that way?

He's long had a NMC though. The contract is weighted more towards bonuses rather than salary, just as with Tavares. We'll see how this season goes, but he's been good to play the full 82 games for many consecutive seasons now too. I can't imagine a player changing teams for the first time - at the age he did - doing so if he didn't believe that team gives him the best chance to win that elusive Cup. IMO, that's why he chose to be a Leaf, with three chances to make that dream a reality.

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
What don't you understand about Marleau's MMC? He certainly isn't retiring if he's playing well and has a chance for a Cup. If he doesn't retire, he isn't going to a bottom feeder. So he's a Leaf and so is his cap hit.

Or maybe San Jose is happy to take him back for a retirement season in a Sharks uni for only $1.5 million in real money.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
He's long had a NMC though. The contract is weighted more towards bonuses rather than salary, just as with Tavares. We'll see how this season goes, but he's been good to play the full 82 games for many consecutive seasons now too. I can't imagine a player changing teams for the first time - at the age he did - doing so if he didn't believe that team gives him the best chance to win that elusive Cup. IMO, that's why he chose to be a Leaf, with three chances to make that dream a reality.

If his cap hit makes TO a worse team in 19-20, then how likelyas that dream going to become a reality?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

Mutually agreeable contingency plan, not one sided suicide pact

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
His pay for playing the last year is 1.25 and that is it. After July 1st. He moved here for 12 million reasons as he was only offered 1 year at 6m by the sharks. I would be shocked to see him as a Leaf beyond this coming season. His contract structure is different than Tavaris because of his age as any contract signed by a player when they are 35 years old or older is not eligible to be bought out and spread out the cap hit.

He is retiring as previously agreeded apon I believe and we move his contract to a team that needs to reach the floor.

People also need to remember that we will lose a player to the expansion draft as well.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
If his cap hit makes TO a worse team in 19-20, then how likelyas that dream going to become a reality?

Cross that bridge if we come to it. I don't worry about him much as a player, and I don't worry much about the cap with two assistant GMs that are well versed in it.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
His pay for playing the last year is 1.25 and that is it. After July 1st. He moved here for 12 million reasons as he was only offered 1 year at 6m by the sharks. I would be shocked to see him as a Leaf beyond this coming season. His contract structure is different than Tavaris because of his age as any contract signed by a player when they are 35 years old or older is not eligible to be bought out and spread out the cap hit.

He is retiring as previously agreeded apon I believe and we move his contract to a team that needs to reach the floor.

People also need to remember that we will lose a player to the expansion draft as well.

His salary was also only $1.5 M each last season and this, though. Not much of a difference from 1.25.

Understood about the difference between the Marleau and Tavares contracts (35+), but IIRC, contracts that are weighted more in signing bonuses are lockout and buyout proof (not that a buyout is a concern for either). Think both contracts were a case of the Leafs doing what they can - offering cash upfront and sooner.

Easy enough if Marleau retires, as it'd be a matter of only sending his contract - and not him - out...I just don't know if that happens...unless the Leafs win the Cup this season.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I don't see Marleau, Korshkov, Marchment or the Goat on this team in 19/20

Edit: Or Gardiner
Marleau will be here, 100% gauranteed.
No reason for him to leave, barring a Leaf cup this year or career ending injury.

Reactions: kb

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
"Winter is coming" for all you Game of Thrones fans out there as a reference point in terms of Leafs pending future salary cap issues and concerns.

The only way to prevent it would be an annual escalating salary cap beyond the average of just the NHLPA optional 5% escalator clause option used in the CBA.

If the salary cap flattens and stagnates, Leafs will soon be forced to start throwing warm bodies overboard to remain afloat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad