Prospect Info: 2019-2020 Prospect Info and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockeylife1938

Mar 30, 2018
Switzerland
www.youtube.com
Hi guys,

In 2011, Carolina drafted in 4th round a swiss player called Gregory Hofmann.
He's a right winger with really good skills (skating and goals).

When I compare with Nino Niderreiter, I think is not very far from him.

Here is a video of the 24 goals he scored last season in the swiss championship :

https://youtu.be/xBcOQcLAtKo

What do you think ?

Take care and we all hope that the play-offs can go ahead.

Greetings,

Reactions: Vagrant

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Hofmann came over here at least once for training camp and not much came of it. I'd imagine we'll be losing his rights soon too. Any NHL future he has won't likely be here.

SAS

Sep 29, 2017
I am curious as to your thoughts about Steve Lorentz. He had a respectable year last year, second in points and second in goals in Charlotte. He seems like he could have a future in the NHL. What are your thoughts?

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I am curious as to your thoughts about Steve Lorentz. He had a respectable year last year, second in points and second in goals in Charlotte. He seems like he could have a future in the NHL. What are your thoughts?
I think if we had an older team and needed a 4th liner next season, he would have a good shot at joining the team. Since we don’t have either, he’ll be elsewhere next season.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

The guy definitely has the skill to make it here, but the question is his skating. Nick Dodge 2.0?

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Hofmann came over here at least once for training camp and not much came of it. I'd imagine we'll be losing his rights soon too. Any NHL future he has won't likely be here.
Something doesn't compute. As an Europe-drafted player Canes should have lost his rights after four years in 2015. He's 27 and he should be an UFA anyway.

Was the draft rights rules different in 2011 when he was drafted? I really can't see eternal rights happening.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Something doesn't compute. As an Europe-drafted player Canes should have lost his rights after four years in 2015. He's 27 and he should be an UFA anyway.

Was the draft rights rules different in 2011 when he was drafted? I really can't see eternal rights happening.
Not sure but he was in Canes preseason camp in 2017.

Reactions: A Star is Burns

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

From what I understand Switzerland didn't sign on to the transfer agreement until after then.

Reactions: Lempo

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
‎Dobber Prospects Radio: DPR Episode 89: Mike Dawson Carolina Hurricanes Head North American Scout on Apple Podcasts

Dobber Prospects Radio podcast interview with Mike Dawson, head North American scout for your Carolina Hurricanes

listening now, but here's some info from the description:
Mike Dawson, Head North American Amateur Scout for the Carolina Hurricanes joins the podcast. Mike shares his thoughts on several of Carolinas top prospects, what they like about each player and what the short term future and path to the NHL looks like
Players discussed include:
Jake Bean (1:45)
Ryan Suzuki (5:37)
Jamieson Rees (10:02)
Joey Keane (13:56)
David Cotton (17:44)
Tuukka Tieksola (21:27)
Pyotr Kochetkov (23:20)
Mike also shares his thoughts on how the Covid-19 pandemic has affected hockey from scouting to the loss of the Scouting Combine, playoffs, U-18, and Memorial Cup.
Peter asks Mike for some scouting tips for all you aspiring and "Hobey scouts". Questions such as:
How to interview players?
How to spot hockey smarts?
How important is body language?
What to look for when watching a player when they do not have puck possesion?
Live views vs video views
and more.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
‎Dobber Prospects Radio: DPR Episode 89: Mike Dawson Carolina Hurricanes Head North American Scout on Apple Podcasts

Dobber Prospects Radio podcast interview with Mike Dawson, head North American scout for your Carolina Hurricanes

listening now, but here's some info from the description:
Mike Dawson, Head North American Amateur Scout for the Carolina Hurricanes joins the podcast. Mike shares his thoughts on several of Carolinas top prospects, what they like about each player and what the short term future and path to the NHL looks like
Players discussed include:
Jake Bean (1:45)
Ryan Suzuki (5:37)
Jamieson Rees (10:02)
Joey Keane (13:56)
David Cotton (17:44)
Tuukka Tieksola (21:27)
Pyotr Kochetkov (23:20)
Mike also shares his thoughts on how the Covid-19 pandemic has affected hockey from scouting to the loss of the Scouting Combine, playoffs, U-18, and Memorial Cup.
Peter asks Mike for some scouting tips for all you aspiring and "Hobey scouts". Questions such as:
How to interview players?
How to spot hockey smarts?
How important is body language?
What to look for when watching a player when they do not have puck possesion?
Live views vs video views
and more.
Always good to hear them talking about our guys but in the end pretty bland with no real new information about any of them. Very much “he developed nicely, we like him, I didn’t see this guy as much as I would’ve liked so I really shouldn’t say much more”.

The guy interviewing has more opinions to share on our guys.

Fun to hear him talk about the years we kept picking in the teens and how it keeps you away from the special ones. Likes Rees a lot. I think Rod will too.

Reactions: DaveG

2Minutes4Surging

Jul 5, 2017
Durham, NC
I believe Lorentz has a real shot at making the big club at some point. He has excelled at every level of hockey he has played. He is very versatile as he can play both center and wing, he has a big frame, plays fast and physical, kills penalties and has a non-stop compete level. He has also shown he can score at every level so far. He seems like the prototypical Brind'amour type player, and a Foegele 2.0.

Foegele: 73 GP, 28 G, 18 A, +22; .63 Pts/Gm in his final year in the AHL
Lorentz: 61 GP, 23 G, 23 A, +23; .75* Pts/Gm this season (*incomplete season)
Also for reference Morgan Geekie: 55 GP, 22 G, 20 A, -17; .76 Pts/Gm this season in AHL. That is huge difference between -17 and +23. I don't think it is far off to say Lorentz is > or = Geekie.

I know not many people are high on him because he doesn't have a flashy draft pedigree and spent some time in the ECHL, but he has worked hard to improve his game and has that never say die attitude. It will be a while before the Suzuki's and Cotton's are ready for the NHL, so I could see him as the 1st call-up next season or even better as a cheaper and more productive player than Martinook and/or McGinn, if we can move either one or both out.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I don't know what Lorentz will turn into. He seems like he has a decent chance to turn into a third or fourth liner. Not sure it's fair to compare his age 23 stats with the age 21 stats of Foegele and Geekie. He was in the ECHL at the same age.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I believe Lorentz has a real shot at making the big club at some point.
I agree—though I think you are overselling him. He has produced at every level, but usually a year or two later than others. My guess is he likely becomes a Carter Rowney type, maybe a little better.

Geekie on the other hand has a best-case-scenario of something like Carl Soderberg, maybe not as strong defensively.

2Minutes4Surging

Jul 5, 2017
Durham, NC
Not sure it's fair to compare his age 23 stats with the age 21 stats of Foegele and Geekie. He was in the ECHL at the same age.
That is a fair point. Lorentz has been a late bloomer at every stage of his hockey career. Here is a great article on Lorentz's career thus far. I, for one, would be upset if we never gave him a shot. But I do agree, the cards are stacked against him. Maybe Craig Adams would be a good comp..

Carolina Hurricanes: The Evolution of Steven Lorentz

Last edited:

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Like I said, I think he can certainly make it here or elsewhere. He also could end up being a Patrick Brown type that's just solid enough not to kill you and get the occasional call up. I just don't think looking at the stats that way paints the full picture. He was definitely a late bloomer and maybe reaches levels a little later than expected, but he does usually rise to the level eventually.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
From what I understand Switzerland didn't sign on to the transfer agreement until after then.
Seems to be this. Apparently being signed to a club in an unaffiliated league makes you a "Defected Player" within the NHL context and to become a free agent in the NHL you need to be released from your obligations to such club (and meet some other conditions). If you keep getting signed to the unaffiliated league the NHL team holding your rights apparently will keep them indefinitely.

You won't become an UFA even at the age of 27 (a Group 3 Player) because for that you need to have your SPC expired which can't happen if you have never signed one.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
i think he's getting an attaboy for the season he had this year after a really tough start and they'll probably carry him as a black ace to get him some exposure to the lifestyle and to make some connections with guys he might be playing with next year. i think it's a pretty strong indication of how they feel about him if they do end up bringing him over for that. hard to blame them.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I’d love to see him but I’d be surprised if they brought him over unless it’s almost purely to watch the playoffs up close. We’ll see. I can’t see him being a serious consideration by Rod to play a playoff game even as an injury replacement.

Reactions: WreckingCrew
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad