Prospect Info: 2019-2020 Prospect Info and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Hactually... they might be thinking this. He's past his fourth July 1st after the Draft, so they probably think he can drop out now and become Draft-related UFA on 30 day notice. But they are wrong: he missed the deadline to do that when he entered the calendar year that his class is scheduled to graduate as still a college student.

(ii) If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19 is a bona fide college student at the time of his selection in the Entry Draft, or becomes a bona fide college student prior to the first June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft, and does not remain a bona fide college student through the graduation of his college class, his drafting Club shall retain exclusive rights for the negotiation of his services until the later of: (a) the fourth June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft, or (b) thirty (30) days after NHL Central Registry receives notice that the Player is no longer a bona fide college student; provided that if the Player ceases to be a bona fide college student on or after January 1 of an academic year and the Player: (1) is in his fourth year of college and has commenced his fourth year of NCAA eligibility, or (2) is in his fourth year of college and is scheduled to graduate from college at the end of his fourth year, then in the circumstances described in (1) or (2), the Club shall retain the exclusive right of negotiation for such Player's services through and including the August 15 following the date on which he ceases to be a bona fide college student. The Club need not make a Bona Fide Offer to such Player to retain such rights.

Reactions: DaveG

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Does it matter much when he goes UFA? He'll either want to be here or not. I guess it might take away the advantage of us potentially burning a year of his ELC, but I don't think we'd be doing that anyways.
It's pretty much a given that you do that. Though there is the poison pill that a "season" with less than 10 games in it doesn't count towards the RFA status, and the player will be in weird limbo where he won't be RFA at the expiry of his ELC and only his own team can re-sign him (need to tender the QO obviously to retain his rights).

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
HOCKEYPROSPECT.COM TOP 21-31 - JANUARY RANKING

Elite Prospects - NHL Draft Center HOCKEYPROSPECT.COM TOP 31
3.png
Mavrik Bourque (C)Shawinigan Cataractes
3.png
QMJHL
6.png
Jake Sanderson (D)U.S. National U18 Team
6.png
USDP
2.png
Eemil Viro (D)TPS
2.png
Liiga
3.png
Ryan O'Rourke (D)Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds
3.png
OHL
9.png
Rodion Amirov (LW)Salavat Yulaev Ufa
9.png
KHL
6.png
Thomas Bordeleau (C)U.S. National U18 Team
6.png
USDP
3.png
Hendrix Lapierre (C)Chicoutimi Saguenéens
3.png
QMJHL
3.png
Jacob Perreault (C)Sarnia Sting
3.png
OHL
1.png
Theodor Niederbach (C)Frölunda HC J20
1.png
SuperElit
8.png
Jan Mysak (LW)HC Litvinov
8.png
Czech
3.png
Luke Evangelista (RW)London Knights
3.png
OHL
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: Vagrant

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

Jake Sanderson is sounding a lot like what the Canes look for in a D.

Chris Peters -ESPN - Oct. 22nd: "There's zero panic in his game, and his decisions with or without the puck are always on point. He makes the players on the ice better with the steadiness he provides on the back end."

Corey Pronman -The Athletic - Oct. 15th: "He isn’t going to dazzle on highlight reels and his offensive upside likely isn’t elite, but he makes a lot of plays all around the ice. He is very solid defensively due to his mobility and brain, and has enough skill to be a power play guy as a pro."

Craig Button -TSN - Sept. 16th: "Excellent sense and feel for all situations. Smooth skater with very good puck skills and he makes things look easy. Composed under pressure."

Pronman yesterday:
Jake Sanderson, D, 2020 eligible
Sanderson led the Five Nations in points among all skaters, not just for defensemen, and was clearly the best defender at the tournament... ...I still don’t see top-end skill, but he made a lot of clever plays coming out of his zone to go with his great skating, and he made skilled plays entering the zone. He was his usual great defensive self, killing a lot of rushes at his blue line.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Every goal I see Bokk score I'm like "he didn't score there, because his angle was terrible and there was no room in the net." This has happened to literally every Bokk goal I've ever seen. I'm convinced GM Borg has created a Jake Gyllenhall in Spiderman Far From Home scenario where he makes the world think Bokk scores on every harmless shot from a far wing in hopes to increase his trade value.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Every goal I see Bokk score I'm like "he didn't score there, because his angle was terrible and there was no room in the net." This has happened to literally every Bokk goal I've ever seen. I'm convinced GM Borg has created a Jake Gyllenhall in Spiderman Far From Home scenario where he makes the world think Bokk scores on every harmless shot from a far wing in hopes to increase his trade value.

The question is - does that shot go away quickly once he makes the NHL? Seems like he's scoring on a fluke that goalies might figure out. Agreed I feel like I've seen him do that 5 times this year.

The Jerk Store

Felix Unger Score'em
Jul 2, 2012
Hills to the North
So Bokk's nickname should be Mysterio

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
That release is really something- he’s the European prospect I am most excited to see how his game translates to the NA game

Reactions: DaveG

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I’m excited to see him consistently putting the puck in the back of the net. But what’s the rest of his game like? Sort of like Gauthier, why are there like no assists coming along with these goals?

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
I’m excited to see him consistently putting the puck in the back of the net. But what’s the rest of his game like? Sort of like Gauthier, why are there like no assists coming along with these goals?
Watching his hilights from last year he had some pretty sweet assists. Of course that’s only hilights.

still not sure what the deal is there this year

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
So Bokk's nickname should be Mysterio
I think it is Domi.

From hd.se: Rögles giant talent looks towards the NHL after the success
"He is the hottest shooter in the SHL in 2020. Defensive maturity is behind Dominik Bokk's offensive ice shooting and now Rögletalangen is dreaming of both the World Cup and the NHL."

"I trust myself more now and try to do what I am best at. I have fun out there and try to do everything I can to help the team win," said Dominik Bokk, whose Rögle has five straight wins ahead of Thursday night's home game against Växjö. "

Reactions: JungleJerk

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
just watching his exits there, you can tell he has a high panic threshold and shows composure facing the forecheck. he's making a lot of smart decisions in his own end for a player touted more for his offense. at :07 seconds of that first video, you can pause it and see he has been trapped behind his net by two forecheckers that have flanked him on each side. his ability to slow that play down, take it to forehand, and exit up the middle is great ice awareness. lots of guys just skate that up the boards or rim it. i like it because that's a pass that starts offense out of your zone. never up the middle unless you're sure, and he used his context clues to determine that was a safe play since two forecheckers were behind the redline. 37 red thought he was going for the help to his right when he turned the puck and bought a little in that direction. the pass to the streaker out of the zone could have easily created a 3 on 2 chance the other way out of an absolute nothing play. at minimum, that's a pass that will gain you the center line and you can dump and change. encouraging read there.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
just watching his exits there, you can tell he has a high panic threshold and shows composure facing the forecheck. he's making a lot of smart decisions in his own end for a player touted more for his offense.

Not quoting this to disagree, but to clarify and express a thought.

But couldn't a controlled exit in a way be considered an offensive skill? Just because the play was made in his own end doesn't make it a defensive play. I think this may be where the game has changed so much.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
hate I missed the article while it was up, but those videos are great. I had only seen much older footage against teenagers before. his skating really stands out at times.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Not quoting this to disagree, but to clarify and express a thought.

But couldn't a controlled exit in a way be considered an offensive skill? Just because the play was made in his own end doesn't make it a defensive play. I think this may be where the game has changed so much.

most definitely it's an offensive skill. i think the reason that i classify it as a defensive skill primarily when talking about it is because exits are a little less sexy than the long breakout passes you normally associate with offensive defensemen. for example, there are guys who are fantastic with exits that don't have a lot of traditional offensive capabilities even if those two skills are supposed to track together. ryan murphy for example, and i hate to continue to cite him as an example, was hit or miss on exits. he tried to skate his way out of trouble in a lot of cases where a degree of patience and diagnosis would have made the exit much easier. to me, a defenseman's ability to identify and react to forechecking while the puck is in their own end can limit possession of the opposition, corsi events against, and some of the other more traditional defensive metrics. i think it's true that when a skater takes possession of the puck, everything they do from that moment forward is conceptually towards the attacking zone, but i don't consider an opposition attack to be finished until the exit is complete or the forechecking cedes possession by changing or dumping in. it's hard to define what to call the moments that are transitional, so i usually default to the end of the ice the play is being made in and where the recipient of the pass is designed to receive the puck. since the target of the pass was in his own zone, it feels like less of a breakout and more like a structured exit up the ice.

Reactions: emptyNedder

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
The question is - does that shot go away quickly once he makes the NHL? Seems like he's scoring on a fluke that goalies might figure out. Agreed I feel like I've seen him do that 5 times this year.

goal scorers seem to find these opportunities to get pucks to the net that others might bypass. the goaltending isn't always impeccable in these clips but there's something to be said for finding the corners that will score you goals at any level with reliability. there's zero question in my mind having watched bokk at the wjc that his wrist shot is enough to beat nhl goalies. you're seeing an elite shooter display his best tool. the issue being can he do all the other stuff he has to do other than shoot. for example, saarela and zykov haven't been struggling to establish themselves because their wrist shots aren't good enough. at the higher levels, defense can usually handle a player that can score in one way. it's about being able to be diverse and able to score in a variety of ways and being able to be a complete offensive player. so it can kind of both be true that these are great shots that would beat nhl goaltenders and also that bokk can bust. i don't think he will personally, but highlights are kind of kind of like movie trailers. you can probably make 2 hours of footage look watchable in two minutes if you pick the right parts. it's still possible the movie is terrible.

Reactions: geehaad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->