Prospect Info: 2019-2020 Prospect Development Tracker

Status
Not open for further replies.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Lol Cmon man , pitlick ? Spezza ? Fedun who they healthy scratched in playoffs ?
Ok so "big part of the team last year" means only the playoffs and not the whole season... Got it.
Something about small sample sizes and big part of 13games where he scored 2p (both goals) but ok lets assess All "13 games" the team played last year.

among Forwards that were healthy for the PO (Pitlick and Janmark missed time because of injuries)
Cogs finished 9th in ice-time/g ahead of Spezza and Dowling (also ahead of janmark but only 7gp for him)
9th in even strength time/g among forwards again ahead of only Spezza and Dowling.
He was 4th among forward in Shorthanded ice time/g (forwards only) (behind Comeau, Dickinson, Janmark and for some inexplicable reason ahead if Faksa by 20 secs)

He scored 2p (both goals) the same as Dowling and less (in both goals and points) than Spezza.

Literally the only players that weren't injured that he was ahead of in the lineup for ice-time (at forward) were Dowling and Spezza. He didn't outproduce either of them (scored significantly less than Spezza) and was just as big a liability when handling the puck.
But he was ok at icing it on the PK.

His numbers were for everything
Takeaways, Giveaways, Blocked shots, hits, faceoffs, whatever you want to compare On par with, slightly worse(-1,-2), or slightly better(+1,+2) than Dowling and Spezza depending on what you value more. You could maybe make a case that he was better for some of (maybe even most of )those 13games than either Spezza or Dowling (it's a stretch) but if you think being maybe slightly (ever so slightly ) being better for 13games, versus being worse for the vast majority of of 45 games he played in total amounts to him being "a big part of the team"
You need better standards.

All 3 of them shouldn't be on an NHL roster.
Spezza produced the 5th most points (at forward) on the team last year. Sad as that is.
He had a much bigger impact than anything Cogliano did in any cherry picked stretch in a Stars jersey last year.
And as bad as Dowling is, he was never the liability with the puck in the PO that Cogliano was

Last edited:

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Let’s move on - this isn’t a discussion about prospects.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
The only true disapointment is the lack of progress for Point. Everybody else who we ever had any real hope for hasn't been completely terrible and will still have a decent shot in training camp. Point though looks destined for the ECHL again and if he plays like last season ECHL backup. I really hoped he would make some strides but so far has not happened.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
The only true disapointment is the lack of progress for Point. Everybody else who we ever had any real hope for hasn't been completely terrible and will still have a decent shot in training camp. Point though looks destined for the ECHL again and if he plays like last season ECHL backup. I really hoped he would make some strides but so far has not happened.
You're not actually basing that off of this tournament are you?
I mean he hasn't been good, but this tournament means almost nothing, tons of very good players have sucked at the TC tournament and made the NHL that year. A lot of players with NHL contracts don't try as hard as this tournament means nothing.
Also players have done great at the tournament and gone on to do nothing.
last year Robertson lead the tournament in scoring (9 or 10 points) and didn't even get 1 nhl game

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I mean he hasn't been good, but this tournament means almost nothing, tons of very good players have sucked at the TC tournament and made the NHL that year. A lot of players with NHL contracts don't try as hard as this tournament means nothing.
last year Robertson lead the tournament in scoring (9 or 10 points) and didn't even get 1 nhl game

Point has been disappointing for over a year now.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Point has been disappointing for over a year now.
Gurianov has been disappointing for 4yrs yet people around here still have faith he's a top 6 player.
Honka sucked for what feels like forever, yet people around here were penciling him into the top 4 before last year.
Goalies are notorious for taking a long time. Look at Campbell

serp

Jan 17, 2016

The way he plays just still looks off . I have not seen him play at Colgate where he put up his insane stats but something seems off in his style that still needs fixing . Of course he could also turn it on in pre-season and have a gangbusters season in the AHL but i'm not expecting it. Dobby and Bish will barely play in pre-season so Point will get his chance but i'm not too optimistic.

I'm not giving up on him just that he still needs time.

Last season went very similar to how this one is starting . Point didn't look right from traverse on and it never clicked. Hope what happened last season doesn't repeat ittself.

I was just hoping Oettinger and Point could be the AHL tandem this year and since that isn't looking likely i'm a bit dissapointed.

Last edited:

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Gurianov has been disappointing for 4yrs yet people around here still have faith he's a top 6 player.
Honka sucked for what feels like forever, yet people around here were penciling him into the top 4 before last year.
Goalies are notorious for taking a long time. Look at Campbell

Because Gurianov finally showed something last year - he gave us a reason to be optimistic. If Point does that, I’ll change my tune and be optimistic about him too.

Reactions: Kcb12345

serp

Jan 17, 2016
The team has quite a few older vets so i would imagine the spares will see a decent amount of playing time. Perry missed so much time the last few years i doubt he holds up for the full season . Cogs ( despite his ironman rep ) and Comeau aren't spring chicken either . Might as well keep someone decent up as spares like JK or whoever who doesn't make your team worse if he slots in. GIve the coach the option to make lineup changes on a regular basis. Not really a thing these last few years.

On defense i imagine a similar situation . Sekera will miss time most likely , Johns who the f*** knows and Polak playing too many games ain't good either. The #7 on D will be someone the coach trusts.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
I'd like to see what JK has. I think Janmark should be on short leash and to a certain extent Guri as well depending on where he is playing in the lineup. But if Janmark gets off to a shit start, get JK in there tout suite IMO.

Reactions: Dynamite Time

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
On the hockey news podcast mailbag addition, each of the 4 guys picked a rookie besides the obvious ones that will have a good year.

Two of the guys mentioned Gury. One of the guys who mentioned Gury had talked to White (Texas GM) and the other guy talked to Nill sometime in the offseason. Both Nill and White said they expect big things out of Gury this season

Obviously this doesn’t mean Gury is guaranteed anything and his play will decide his fate, but the organization is very high on him

Janmark I could see being traded, but I could also see him rebounding from last season

Man I can’t wait for preseason

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
On the hockey news podcast mailbag addition, each of the 4 guys picked a rookie besides the obvious ones that will have a good year.

Two of the guys mentioned Gury. One of the guys who mentioned Gury had talked to White (Texas GM) and the other guy talked to Nill sometime in the offseason. Both Nill and White said they expect big things out of Gury this season

Obviously this doesn’t mean Gury is guaranteed anything and his play will decide his fate, but the organization is very high on him

Janmark I could see being traded, but I could also see him rebounding from last season

Man I can’t wait for preseason
Gury looked good when he was called up , I honestly think he’s the fastest skater in the organization and that says a lot considering we have heiskanen and hintz . That last game he played he had some bad turnovers and the team was in a tight battle late in the year so they had to go with the safest lineup they could but I would fully expect them to give him a longer opportunity this year .

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Gury looked good when he was called up , I honestly think he’s the fastest skater in the organization and that says a lot considering we have heiskanen and hintz . That last game he played he had some bad turnovers and the team was in a tight battle late in the year so they had to go with the safest lineup they could but I would fully expect them to give him a longer opportunity this year .

Careful saying that, some people around here hate to see him get positive feedback. They seem to forget how bad Roope Hintz was in his first 21 games too. Apparently everyone should adjust to the NHL immediately

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Guryanov has the talent to explode. He needs to figure it out quickly

I agree with SS regarding Janmark on a chihuahua leash. It’s too bad Pierre McGuire isn’t a GM because Nill could dangle Janmark in front of him

Reactions: Bfantz and Kcb12345

Zapp

Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
Guryanov has the talent to explode. He needs to figure it out quickly

I agree with SS regarding Janmark on a chihuahua leash. It’s too bad Pierre McGuire isn’t a GM because Nill could dangle Janmark in front of him

Bingo. We're not talking about a 1 dimensional Teemu Pulkkinen type player. Guryanov has the highest ceiling potential behind Heiskanen. He just has a bigger hill to climb to reach it.

Never understand why some people on here are so eager to write a player off.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I actually really liked what I saw out of Gurianov when he was up here. Obviously he has a lot to learn, but his raw tools and speed could make for a good player as long as he’s coachable.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I think we all hope Guri joins Hintz on a line. Not sure if Pavs or Perry would be the ideal third line mate, though. Would love to see a third fast guy on there, not sure who. Any D man on the other side who can't skate backwards at full speed would be torched.....repeatedly.

I do have confidence Guri will stay up but think his goal numbers will be less than 15, with enough dangerous chances to score 30. Maybe in another year, he will hit 20, but not right away. Just MHO.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
I think we all hope Guri joins Hintz on a line. Not sure if Pavs or Perry would be the ideal third line mate, though. Would love to see a third fast guy on there, not sure who. Any D man on the other side who can't skate backwards at full speed would be torched.....repeatedly.

I do have confidence Guri will stay up but think his goal numbers will be less than 15, with enough dangerous chances to score 30. Maybe in another year, he will hit 20, but not right away. Just MHO.
I think we would all be happy with 15 from him. If he gets a decent shot though, I'm thinking more like 10-12 tops. But like you said it's gonna really depend on who he plays with and if there is any chemistry.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
I actually really liked what I saw out of Gurianov when he was up here. Obviously he has a lot to learn, but his raw tools and speed could make for a good player as long as he’s coachable.
I agree. I think he’ll have a season (not going long-term to AHL though) somewhat like Hintz was last season. It may start off slow but by the end of the season he’s fit.

Signing Pavelski and Perry will definitely help as well; Stars should be able to put together 2 scoring lines. I think a line of Gurianov - Hintz - Pavelski could be a solid #2 line at some point this season.

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->