GDT: 2019-2020 Post-season Thread

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
I'm willing to give Q the benefit of doubt that he was brought in to coach a group of players he probably doesn't care much about.

Fire Tallon, hire the new GM (Joyce or whomever) and let Q have input on what kind of players to bring in to coach to a specific plan that he can drill into their heads.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I'm willing to give Q the benefit of doubt that he was brought in to coach a group of players he probably doesn't care much about.

Fire Tallon, hire the new GM (Joyce or whomever) and let Q have input on what kind of players to bring in to coach to a specific plan that he can drill into their heads.
Agreed. These guys just don’t want to work.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008

Q knew what he was getting into. He gets no benefit of the doubt.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee

f*** Q. He was a non factor here all season long.

Boughner could've been coaching this team secretly all season long and I wouldn't doubt it for a second. He added nothing to this group and if we go young moving forward, he is NOT the coach we want.

Reactions: Haj and RainingRats

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
f*** Q. He was a non factor here all season long.

Boughner could've been coaching this team secretly all season long and I wouldn't doubt it for a second. He added nothing to this group and if we go young moving forward, he is NOT the coach we want.

I honestly think Boughner did a better job with the Panthers than Q.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Well boys, I know I have zero credibility when I say this since I've said it before but I'm out. I have zero interest in this team at this point. Although it should be fun to see how much they'll burn it down in the offseason, I really don't care about next year if there ever is one. Couldn't give a rats ass who they draft or bring in, not going to change a thing.

My hats off to anyone following this team. What a sad, depressing franchise the Panthers are.

Stay safe, folks.

Reactions: 16Skippy and Haj

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
Well boys, I know I have zero credibility when I say this since I've said it before but I'm out. I have zero interest in this team at this point. Although it should be fun to see how much they'll burn it down in the offseason, I really don't care about next year if there ever is one. Couldn't give a rats ass who they draft or bring in, not going to change a thing.

My hats off to anyone following this team. What a sad, depressing franchise the Panthers are.

Stay safe, folks.

nah dude, stick around, we're going to have a "historic offseason" with a nice blueprint, will be tons of fun

Reactions: harv33173

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013

Since it's the most active thread, it sucks having potentially 3 years left of existence and losing another year with no fans...

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014

Since it's the most active thread, it sucks having potentially 3 years left of existence and losing another year with no fans...

I'd reckon that this jeopardizes the existence of the entire league if the league becomes some kind of an open air prison for the players. Only the big names i.e. highest grossing players would stay and rest of them would be calling their agents about any prospects of a having job in the KHL or Europe.

Pantherfan12

Jun 26, 2006
Sunrise,Florida

Stay safe, folks.
Hey man, I'm about to join you. Been a fan since the beginning, and I, too, am sick of a failing franchise. We haven't gotten any better, we just make lateral moves. The owners seem very disinterested in the success or failure of this franchise. Tallon did nothing useful really. No matter who the coach was, the team still played a very boring, and uninspired hockey. We don't have real leadership, nor hard working players. We somehow boast our players as elite players, when in actuality, they don't compare. Barkov isn't a captain. Yandle or Matheson aren't worth their contracts. I don't mind going after a goaltender, but for $10 mil a year? Especially with Knight in the system? I have no excitement about this franchise, offseason,draft, or free agency.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Hey man, I'm about to join you. Been a fan since the beginning, and I, too, am sick of a failing franchise. We haven't gotten any better, we just make lateral moves. The owners seem very disinterested in the success or failure of this franchise. Tallon did nothing useful really. No matter who the coach was, the team still played a very boring, and uninspired hockey. We don't have real leadership, nor hard working players. We somehow boast our players as elite players, when in actuality, they don't compare. Barkov isn't a captain. Yandle or Matheson aren't worth their contracts. I don't mind going after a goaltender, but for $10 mil a year? Especially with Knight in the system? I have no excitement about this franchise, offseason,draft, or free agency.
Change some specifics and it sounds like almost any other season for Panther fans. Just face it - you’ve finally decided that divorce is the only way out of an abusive relationship.

Don’t be too hard on yourself. On the average it takes people a decade or two to leave the abuser. If you have flashbacks or nightmares, those are normal too. But if you need a psychiatrist, I hear you could tweet Matheson for a recommendation.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Wasn't sure where else to post this, but I thought it was super interesting. Article in The Athletic today interviewing Steve Valiquette about goaltending trends from the advanced data his company collects. Anyone with a subscription I would encourage you to read it.

- Eye tracking for goalies, the older they get the harder it is to track the puck, so the data shows that younger goalies do better on shots with clear line of sight vs. older goalies who I'm guessing perform about the same when it comes to scrambly plays that rely more on positioning. I wonder if this has affected Bob, lots of times he lets in clear shots or seems to not track the puck well.

- More goals being scored from low slot cross ice passes, so that would be goals that go cross ice below the hash marks. I find we don't have much possession time in the O-zone to get set up and do these kind of plays, usually more of a rush type offense, which is probably to our detriment. I liked it more when we had a cycle type game.

- Unblocked shots from the slot, the shooting percentage has gone down over the years from the teens to 7.5% to 5.3% in the playoffs this year. The thinking here is that maybe because everyone is always told to shoot in this area based on the old advanced stats data that show this is a good area to shoot from goalies are more prepared for the shot. So now it's actually a low percentage chance, but a lot of advanced stats data will still show this as a high percentage shot.

The last two points are especially relevant for advanced stats discussions using the publicly available data from sites like naturalstatrick. I'm wondering if the scoring chances data is out of date given that cross-ice, low slot chances from the outside should still be considered high chance, but currently are considered low chance. Same goes for shots from the slot which gets the highest danger score, but many of those shots are actually below average in scoring % based on the actual data. That also means stats like expected goals or expected goals saved, which is based on older data, could be telling us something that is no longer applicable until the models are updated. This feeds into my skepticism of publicly available advanced stats from sites like naturalstattrick which is useful, but the data can be flawed.

This isn't me being anti advanced stats, but it does show that the stats need to be viewed carefully and the models constantly updated. If the Panthers decide to incorporate more advanced stats into their decision making, hopefully they do it right...

Reactions: KW

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
Wasn't sure where else to post this, but I thought it was super interesting. Article in The Athletic today interviewing Steve Valiquette about goaltending trends from the advanced data his company collects. Anyone with a subscription I would encourage you to read it.

- Eye tracking for goalies, the older they get the harder it is to track the puck, so the data shows that younger goalies do better on shots with clear line of sight vs. older goalies who I'm guessing perform about the same when it comes to scrambly plays that rely more on positioning. I wonder if this has affected Bob, lots of times he lets in clear shots or seems to not track the puck well.

- More goals being scored from low slot cross ice passes, so that would be goals that go cross ice below the hash marks. I find we don't have much possession time in the O-zone to get set up and do these kind of plays, usually more of a rush type offense, which is probably to our detriment. I liked it more when we had a cycle type game.

- Unblocked shots from the slot, the shooting percentage has gone down over the years from the teens to 7.5% to 5.3% in the playoffs this year. The thinking here is that maybe because everyone is always told to shoot in this area based on the old advanced stats data that show this is a good area to shoot from goalies are more prepared for the shot. So now it's actually a low percentage chance, but a lot of advanced stats data will still show this as a high percentage shot.

The last two points are especially relevant for advanced stats discussions using the publicly available data from sites like naturalstatrick. I'm wondering if the scoring chances data is out of date given that cross-ice, low slot chances from the outside should still be considered high chance, but currently are considered low chance. Same goes for shots from the slot which gets the highest danger score, but many of those shots are actually below average in scoring % based on the actual data. That also means stats like expected goals or expected goals saved, which is based on older data, could be telling us something that is no longer applicable until the models are updated. This feeds into my skepticism of publicly available advanced stats from sites like naturalstattrick which is useful, but the data can be flawed.

This isn't me being anti advanced stats, but it does show that the stats need to be viewed carefully and the models constantly updated. If the Panthers decide to incorporate more advanced stats into their decision making, hopefully they do it right...
Does low slot cross ice passes include 2-on-1 breaks?

It's a good point that analytics can be a dangerous tool for those that don't understand the models they are working with. Hopefully these guys are professionals, but there's certainly a risk that you get hockey people who don't quite grasp the statistical theory and you get mathematicians that don't quite grasp how the models translate to the ice.

RealHumanBean

Mar 23, 2018

saw this on twitter, apparently Vincent Viola is one on the 4 owners that are joining this diversity committee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad