Mookie Blaylock

The in between is mine
Apr 16, 2014
Porch
For sure.

Cornell - best location
Harvard
Yale - interesting rink anyhow, and good pizza
Dartmouth - obviously Hanover crushes New Haven as a place to live but the program is weak

Princeton
Brown -- all better due to the perks of free tuition for your kids, possibly, and nice places to live

BU
BC
Northeastern -- better due to living in Boston / prestigious programs (not a big Boston fan, but it's a city)

CC
Denver -- yes, Colorado is nice

Notre Dame -- for the right person, sure. Close to Chicago.

Wisconsin - Madison is a much nicer city than MSP, easier recruiting due to being a better school, etc., rebuilding program trending up
Michigan - Ann Arbor is terrible and so is the town

UMD -- easier recruiting for kids who come from small towns in MN, AB, SK, BC, plus program success... top of the food chain in terms of student life, dating life generally

North Dakota -- recruiting advantage/facilities

Penn State -- no thanks

Miami of Ohio - nice town, well-endowed program

Ohio State -- offers anonymity I guess

Colgate -- good school, nice little town

Providence -- good school I guess?

UMN -- troubled times, booster interference, crazy campus, sprawling suburban area

Mankato
Bemidji - should be better?
St. Cloud -- probably easier to recruit kids to St. John's

Michigan State

U Mass - Lowell

Air Force -- kind of hard to get in, I've heard

Da fuq you smoking. Madison might be a better college experience and that's debatable. A much nicer city than Minneapolis. That's asinine and not even debatable.

Reactions: zellmatic

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Da fuq you smoking. Madison might be a better college experience and that's debatable. A much nicer city than Minneapolis. That's asinine and not even debatable.

It's definitely debatable. (And no, campus experience is tilted firmly in favor of Madison too - even if it's not what it once was.) If I were a 35-year-old professional making at least 150k and had two children I'd likely prefer Minneapolis. Its urban features (mostly restaurants, music and art) are much better than what Madison offers - granted. If I'm recruiting college kids, Wisconsin should be the easier task - which is what my post was about.

Reactions: Mookie Blaylock

Mookie Blaylock

The in between is mine
Apr 16, 2014
Porch
It's definitely debatable. (And no, campus experience is tilted firmly in favor of Madison too - even if it's not what it once was.) If I were a 35-year-old professional making at least 150k and had two children I'd likely prefer Minneapolis. Its urban features (mostly restaurants, music and art) are much better than what Madison offers - granted. If I'm recruiting college kids, Wisconsin should be the easier task - which is what my post was about.

Got it.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
ASU should have one of the easiest jobs recruiting, even if they are a new program. Great campus life, nice weather, not to strict admission standards, etc.

I really don't think most kids going into college care about the overall number of National Championships a team has won. Recent win sure, but a title from 50 years ago doesn't hold much weight. The current coach (record, system, likability/trust) and roster (playing time available) are what get kids to a program (for any sport) more than anything.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Do the Ivies even give out scholarships?

No scholarships, but they can and do offer other types of financial aide. Once all the aide is added up it can come close to a full ride if needed for a kid.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yes and no. Some Ivies( the most well endowed such as HYP) offer very generous financial aid to those in need, but an athlete does not qualify for any special financial assistance above and beyond what a normal student would qualify for.

If you are poor and very smart, an Ivy can be near free. Middle class and very smart, reasonable. Upper middle and very smart, costs more. 300+K/yr(give or take), full pay.

If you are a 6'6", 280 lb. O-lineman you don't get any money off, but the academic admission standards are lowered somewhat. Still have to be smart, just not VERY smart.

Last edited:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't know his family's financial situation so I can't answer that, but no Ivy league school is allowed to offer athletic money, period.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
So if you're potential coach, wouldn't you choose a MN MI ND Denver or some school more likely to produce NHLer than an Ivy?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
So if you're potential coach, wouldn't you choose a MN MI ND Denver or some school more likely to produce NHLer than an Ivy?

Which one pays more? Money, location, weather, family, job security, etc would all be factors for me.

It would be great to have budding NHL talent on my team, but they probably wouldn't be there for more than a couple of years. The team building is more about the 4 and 5 year guys than the shorter term top end players. Good coaches will get good players wherever they are, sustained program success will follow after that.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
I dug around a little and it appears college hockey coaches aren't particularly well-compensated (comparable to basketball and football). Looks like WI and BC are the highest paid coaches.

I don't know why a coach would choose an Ivy over other schools...unless of course the Ivies cut your kids a deal if you are coaching one of their teams. Donato's dad as we know is Harvard's coach - not sure how that played into his kid playing there.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Ivy's don't attract top coaching talent, for the most part. They are more competitive in hockey than at most sports, though. Wasn't that long ago that Yale won it all.

A young, hungry coach can turn around a program like Northeastern, or UMass. All he has to do is recruit.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
I'm thinking every college spot is a stepping stone type of gig...tto potentially get to NH HL.

Of course there are coaches that drop anchor in ND or MI, so maybe I'm wrong.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I'm thinking every college spot is a stepping stone type of gig...tto potentially get to NH HL.

Of course there are coaches that drop anchor in ND or MI, so maybe I'm wrong.

A lot coaches are perfectly happy where they are. Not many get a chance to go from a college HC to NHL HC. There are usually a lot of stops along the way: college/CHL head coach, to AHL assistant coach, AHL head coach, NHL assistant coach, NHL head coach. Some even have to go overseas for a few years to coach in between title upgrades in the AHL/NHL ranks. That is a lot of moving to do with a wife/kids/pets/etc, and there isn't a lot of job security from year to year.

The NHL is still an old boys club too. If you had a name as a previous NHL HC, or even as a HoF type player it's easier to get your foot in the door.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
A lot coaches are perfectly happy where they are. Not many get a chance to go from a college HC to NHL HC. There are usually a lot of stops along the way: college/CHL head coach, to AHL assistant coach, AHL head coach, NHL assistant coach, NHL head coach. Some even have to go overseas for a few years to coach in between title upgrades in the AHL/NHL ranks. That is a lot of moving to do with a wife/kids/pets/etc, and there isn't a lot of job security from year to year.

The NHL is still an old boys club too. If you had a name as a previous NHL HC, or even as a HoF type player it's easier to get your foot in the door.

Weren't there barely any, if any, for the longest time, and then Hakstol, Montgomery and Quinn all did it in a matter of just a couple years?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
It's a bad sign when I dread watching the Gophers on the weekend. Besides Walker, and maybe Lacombe or Ranta, they are an untalented bunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad