OT: 2019-2020 NCAA Hockey Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The Gophers D zone coverage was pretty bad. Leaving guys wide open in front of the net.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
UND takes down Denver in overtime in Denver. Game goes as a tie as nobody scored in the 5 minute 5 on 5 overtime but the Sioux get an extra point in the standings as they scored on the 3 on 3 overtime. Very well played game and Scheel for the Sioux came up big on a handful of grade A chances by the Pioneers.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I'm guessing there is no better area/program in North America to recruit?
Minnesota is either the worst or second worst team in the big ten based on the showings so far this year.

I’d argue that North Dakota has an advantage over Minnesota/Wisconsin due to their academic standards. All being in the heart of the hockey world in the U.S.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I know some of the kids on the Gophers. Trust me, they aren't a bunch of academic geniuses.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I know some of the kids on the Gophers. Trust me, they aren't a bunch of academic geniuses.
Acceptance rate:
UND ~ 84% (avg GPA: 3.47, SAT: 1160, ACT: 24)
UW ~ 54% (avg GPA: 3.84, SAT: 1359 , ACT: 29)
UMN ~ 50% (avg GPA: 3.84, SAT: 1358, ACT: 28)

80%+ acceptance rate = safety school

TJL48

Nov 30, 2011
St. Paul
Now do hockey players. If you are a good enough hockey player I don't think those numbers mean much at any of those schools.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Again, U of MN hockey players just have to show up to class and work a bit. I'm not saying that there aren't some smart hockey players there. I am saying that you are kidding yourself if you think that some of them would EVER be admitted if they weren't athletes.

Bottom line is that U of MN are not limited in the kids that they can recruit, for the most part. Ivies are a different story...I'm not sure about Michigan.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Minnesota is either the worst or second worst team in the big ten based on the showings so far this year.

I’d argue that North Dakota has an advantage over Minnesota/Wisconsin due to their academic standards. All being in the heart of the hockey world in the U.S.
I'm not talking about academics. MN has produced more NHLers. Tham any other state. AnAnd UMN is in the heart of it and many kids want to wear that sweater more than snything. So...they should be one of the easiest programs to recruit for...especially since we no longer do the MN-born. only thing anymore either.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
I'm not talking about academics. MN has produced more NHLers. Tham any other state. AnAnd UMN is in the heart of it and many kids want to wear that sweater more than snything. So...they should be one of the easiest programs to recruit for...especially since we no longer do the MN-born. only thing anymore either.
The everyone wants to wear the M is not as big as it use to be. That’s pretty obvious

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
With that being said, you said the gophers are not that bad. You haven’t answered my question: based on what?

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
4-6-2 or whatever they are would indicate they aren't very good. What I was suggesting was that I believe Motzko is to blame for some of it.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
4-6-2 or whatever they are would indicate they aren't very good. What I was suggesting was that I believe Motzko is to blame for some of it.
Oh yeah, Motzko seems to be getting some backlash through many of the gophers fans I know. Kinda sucks, but building a program your way takes time and proper recruiting/teaching.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
I'm not sure how it works when a program brings in a new coach(es) - if commits un-commit, or how that all works.

Regarding the Gophers coaching position - if we were to ask college hockey coaches (and/or potential coaches) what their most sought-after coaching position would be in college hockey, who do you think they would put at the top of the list?

Minnesota
UND surely
Michigan has to be up there
Boston College?
Wisconsin
Maine?

I mean there aren't that many programs to begin with (comparable to college football or basketball, for example), so I would put Minnesota right up in the top of the list. They still generally get the pick of the litter, so to speak.

It's just a good place to recruit to and yes they still probably

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Notre Dame. BU and BC, for sure. There are all sorts of people who'd rather live in the Northeast or CO, rather than Minnesota.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Notre Dame. BU and BC, for sure. There are all sorts of people who'd rather live in the Northeast or CO, rather than Minnesota.

For sure.

Cornell - best location
Harvard
Yale - interesting rink anyhow, and good pizza
Dartmouth - obviously Hanover crushes New Haven as a place to live but the program is weak

Princeton
Brown -- all better due to the perks of free tuition for your kids, possibly, and nice places to live

BU
BC
Northeastern -- better due to living in Boston / prestigious programs (not a big Boston fan, but it's a city)

CC
Denver -- yes, Colorado is nice

Notre Dame -- for the right person, sure. Close to Chicago.

Wisconsin - Madison is a much nicer city than MSP, easier recruiting due to being a better school, etc., rebuilding program trending up
Michigan - Ann Arbor is terrible and so is the town

UMD -- easier recruiting for kids who come from small towns in MN, AB, SK, BC, plus program success... top of the food chain in terms of student life, dating life generally

North Dakota -- recruiting advantage/facilities

Penn State -- no thanks

Miami of Ohio - nice town, well-endowed program

Ohio State -- offers anonymity I guess

Colgate -- good school, nice little town

Providence -- good school I guess?

UMN -- troubled times, booster interference, crazy campus, sprawling suburban area

Mankato
Bemidji - should be better?
St. Cloud -- probably easier to recruit kids to St. John's

Michigan State

U Mass - Lowell

Air Force -- kind of hard to get in, I've heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad