Line Combos: 2019/2020 Lineup

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I think Brannstrom should be able crack the lineup in training camp, or by early November, considering his competition. He's already played 50 AHL games, which is on the higher end if you look at what other "top defensemen" played.

PlayerAHL games
Karlsson12
Chabot13
Rielly14
Krug63
Werenski7
Ellis61
Sergachev0
Theodore97
Jones0
Carlson48
Gustaffson120
Hedman0
Trouba0
Klingberg 13
Doughty0
Ekman-Larsson35
Ekholm59
Spurgeon23
Nurse 13
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

The guys that played over 60 are the late bloomers, so the expectation for Brannstrom should be to play 60-80 games at the NHL level this year, and only another 10-20 in the minors.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think Brannstrom should be able crack the lineup in training camp, or by early November, considering his competition. He's already played 50 AHL games, which is on the higher end if you look at what other "top defensemen" played.

The guys that played over 60 are the late bloomers, so the expectation for Brannstrom should be to play 60-80 games at the NHL level this year, and only another 10-20 in the minors.

It also helps with criticism of Dorion if his prize return excels. The sooner it pays dividends, the better.

You could argue that it might not be in the best interest of his development but I'm guessing he's probably ready anyway.

My only concern would be that he could be a big part of a winning culture in Belleville as opposed to what might be going on at the NHL level.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

PlayerAHL games
Karlsson12
Chabot13
Rielly14
Krug63
Werenski7
Ellis61
Sergachev0
Theodore97
Jones0
Carlson48
Gustaffson120
Hedman0
Trouba0
Klingberg 13
Doughty0
Ekman-Larsson35
Ekholm59
Spurgeon23
Nurse 13
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I don't know if this is a fair comparison. Brannstrom played in the AHL as a 19yr old last season, which is pretty rare to see. 19 years olds are usually in the CHL or Europe.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't know if this is a fair comparison. Brannstrom played in the AHL as a 19yr old last season, which is pretty rare to see. 19 years olds are usually in the CHL or Europe.

The kid also has 136 pro games under his belt though. What's the reason he should be expected to continue in the AHL rather than make the jump? Is it because he needs to mature physically? Because that makes sense. But if it's to adapt to the pro game, idk, he's done his share imo.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Bobby Mac also thinks a Chabot-Zaitsev pairing seems likely.

If so, I expect significant "not playing with Chabot anymore" regression from Demelo. If he were a stock, I'd be selling high right now.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

I still think it's a good comparison, since most of those guys were NHLers in their 20/21 age seasons. Brannstrom just turned 20, so the expectation for him should be a full-time NHLer by December/January.

If he's not there, I think it'll be a disappointing turn in his development.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Bobby Mac also thinks a Chabot-Zaitsev pairing seems likely.

If so, I expect significant "not playing with Chabot anymore" regression from Demelo. If he were a stock, I'd be selling high right now.

Yeah exactly, why not play Demelo with him long enough to trade him then move DJ's fave to the top pair.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Totally. No matter what happens, I cannot imagine Wolanin not being a top 4 D-man on Ottawa. If it means Jaros has to at least start the year in Belleville, so be it. I don't think Jaros can learn too much more from the AHL in terms of the speed of the game and his positioning, I think it's NHL time for him, but I maintain it can't hurt. And absolutely there's zero question in my mind that Brannstrom should start in the AHL, this rubbish about Ottawa wanting the key piece in the Stone trade to play in the NHL ASAP is such rubbish.

And Boro can slide in and out of the lineup as needed. I take personal offence (or, I cringe I guess) when I hear Wolanin should start in the AHL, he's CLEARLY one of the best, if not the 2nd best D-man on the NHL team.

"No matter what" you say?

Haha but yeah, he was a lock for top four. I would have said third best D on the team at this point. Slightly behind DeMelo.

One of Lajoie or Brännström needs to be on the team now. Chabot can't play every second of every powerplay. What are the other options right now, DeMelo and Jaros? Not ideal.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
Tkachuk White Brown

Duclair Anisimov Batherson

Balcers Pageau Ryan

Ennis Tierney Boedker

Chabot Zaitsev

Hainsey Jaros

Borowiecki DeMelo

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Tkachuk White Duclair

Brown Anisimov Ryan

Balcers Pageau Boedker

Ennis Tierney Paul

Chabot Demelo

Zaitsev Hainsey

Jaros Boro/Lajoie

If there are some surprises, it will be Batherson, Formenton, or Kelly pushing out Paul and Boedker and Ennis. Love Logan but he needs more than 30 great games.

On d, it could be Brannstrom, but they may go the safe route and have Goloubef instead

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
"No matter what" you say?

Haha but yeah, he was a lock for top four. I would have said third best D on the team at this point. Slightly behind DeMelo.

One of Lajoie or Brännström needs to be on the team now. Chabot can't play every second of every powerplay. What are the other options right now, DeMelo and Jaros? Not ideal.

Ha, yeah...that was unfortunate.

I think chabot will be partnered with forwards mostly, but maybe you're right and Brannstrom makes it to anchor pp2.

Zaitsev will get a ton of time. Ennis, pageau. I guess we have options, but how fun would it have been having wolanin killing it with chabot or on pp2:(

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
So yeah.. Brady is 212lbs now and apparently a tank. He was 190lbs at training camp last year....

22lbs in 1 year is pretty nuts...Friggin excited to see what hes going to do this year.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
So yeah.. Brady is 212lbs now and apparently a tank. He was 190lbs at training camp last year....

22lbs in 1 year is pretty nuts...Friggin excited to see what hes going to do this year.

The tweet does say 2 years but still quite a bit. He'll be a beast

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
Which defensemen play on the 2nd PP? And when Chabot is not on the ice, who completes a pass?

PP1:

Tkachuk White Brown

Chabot Duclair

PP2:

Ryan Tierney Batherson

Anisimov Brannstrom*

*This assumes he makes the team. If not you might see Jaros/Zaitsev/another forward. I’d be open to a 5FPP.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Ha, yeah...that was unfortunate.

I think chabot will be partnered with forwards mostly, but maybe you're right and Brannstrom makes it to anchor pp2.

Zaitsev will get a ton of time. Ennis, pageau. I guess we have options, but how fun would it have been having wolanin killing it with chabot or on pp2:(

Oh yeah, I guess Zaitsev probably will be the next powerplay option. I was looking at the last two years where he played :04 and :14 seconds per game on the PP. But he played 2:00 per game three years ago, and did fairly well on it.

After reviewing the stats, it turns out that Connor Brown and Boedker are particularly bad on the PP, and should not be used at all.

Ennis, Tierney and Duclair are below average, but not too bad and we don't have a lot of options, so they should be used in secondary roles, and subbed out occasionally to give the rookies some looks.

Pageau and Anisimov are decent/average on the powerplay. Ryan is still quite good at it.

Statistically speaking, Tkachuk, White, Chabot and Wolanin are heads above everyone else still with the team.

Of players with limited PP minutes last year, Logan Brown had fantastic numbers, albeit in just 5:04 of total PPTOI. DeMelo, Jaros and Chlapik showed pretty good. Balcers, Batherson and Lajoie were not very good; but I still think they should be given semi-regular opportunities to work on it.

Ok, given all of that information, I'd like to see for the top unit,

Tkachuk - White - Anisimov
Ryan - Chabot

Where Chabot is high and Ryan is on the left half wall, of course.

Then for the second unit, in order of ice time, the D would be Zaitsev, Jaros, DeMelo, Lajoie. And the forwards Pageau, Ennis, Tierney, Duclair, Balcers, Batherson.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpezDispenser

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Oh yeah, I guess Zaitsev probably will be the next powerplay option. I was looking at the last two years where he played :04 and :14 seconds per game on the PP. But he played 2:00 per game three years ago, and did fairly well on it.

After reviewing the stats, it turns out that Connor Brown and Boedker are particularly bad on the PP, and should not be used at all.

Ennis, Tierney and Duclair are below average, but not too bad and we don't have a lot of options, so they should be used in secondary roles, and subbed out occasionally to give the rookies some looks.

Pageau and Anisimov are decent/average on the powerplay. Ryan is still quite good at it.

Statistically speaking, Tkachuk, White, Chabot and Wolanin are heads above everyone else still with the team.

Of players with limited PP minutes last year, Logan Brown had fantastic numbers, albeit in just 5:04 of total PPTOI. DeMelo, Jaros and Chlapik showed pretty good. Balcers, Batherson and Lajoie were not very good; but I still think they should be given semi-regular opportunities to work on it.

Ok, given all of that information, I'd like to see for the top unit,

Tkachuk - White - Anisimov
Ryan - Chabot

Where Chabot is high and Ryan is on the left half wall, of course.

Then for the second unit, in order of ice time, the D would be Zaitsev, Jaros, DeMelo, Lajoie. And the forwards Pageau, Ennis, Tierney, Duclair, Balcers, Batherson.

I think we will see a lot of Chabot / Z as the first unit PP.

philb613

Feb 9, 2011
Ottawa
upload_2019-9-13_9-6-1.png

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

So Zaitsev, Demelo, Hainsey... And he said Jaros who plays RD has the inside track. And he mentioned Brannsrom preferred the right side and Wolanin was practicing on the right side. I think we have that side covered. When Dorion opens his mouth and the wind gets blowin' around in there pretty much anything can come out..

From what I heard about Zaitsev, he lacks vision in the Dzone and is pretty much a just get it out kind of D. Not sure that's the best kind of D pair for Chabot.

With DeMelo, Zaitsev, Hainsey, Jaros and Brannstrom preferring to play on RD, and Chabot, Borowiecki and Wolanin on LD, I find it odd that the team would ask Wolanin to work at improving his ability to play on the right side this past summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->