Line Combos: 2019/2020 Lineup

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Zaitzev is going to be here for the next 5 years. I can see why they want to give Zaitzev a shot right away to play with Chabot to see if they can find chemistry and click.

Hopefully Chabot does wonders for Zaitzev. DeMelo had a solid season playing with Chabot last year, and DeMelo was a guy that had a hard time finding himself a contract last year.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Zaitzev is going to be here for the next 5 years. I can see why they want to give Zaitzev a shot right away to play with Chabot to see if they can find chemistry and click.

Hopefully Chabot does wonders for Zaitzev. DeMelo had a solid season playing with Chabot last year, and DeMelo was a guy that had a hard time finding himself a contract last year.

I also kinda like the idea of keeping Demelo with Chabot and then trading him off to a contender at the deadline. Everyone would be in for a guy making below 1M and that plays top 4 minutes.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Zaitz is a known player to DJ. I will give him the benefit of the doubt on the lines for now.

But only until October 17th. Seeing if the 5 game winning streak as planned.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think its great to have all these ex Leaf players given a leg up by the ex Leafs coach.. I suppose there is some improvement because they all came from the NHL.
Personally I think he should take stance that we will try different guys and see what works best and that there are 2 other pairs that need to be matched up as well.
So for now who plays what side and who plays with who will sort itself out.

But when you acquire a coach and a bunch of players from one team I guess its to be expected.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Yeah, but he gets a top 9 spot guaranteed. Ottawa (of all teams) aren't going to sit a player with a 4 million dollar cap hit, it's just not gonna happen. Besides, there's WAY worse things than prospects getting extended time in the AHL to hone their skills. He'll go at the deadline for a middling pick, then a prospect will get his chance.

That situation is probably but from from a guarantee. I don't think we will get a junk pic for him and there is some noise he could be bought out/waived. The cost is essentially a ELC.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I get why the guy with 5 years left on his contract is the one who is going to get prime minutes with Chabot, but there's probably something to be said about playing one of Demelo/Hainsey in that spot and pumping and dumping them. Could make the difference between getting a late 2nd at the deadline or some mid pick if these guys get shelled next to Boro (or each other).

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
That situation is probably but from from a guarantee. I don't think we will get a junk pic for him and there is some noise he could be bought out/waived. The cost is essentially a ELC.
Waived maybe, bought out...I dount that highly.

Let's wait and see, but I bet he plays top 9 regularly, sitting out maybe twice a month.

I'm not saying I want that, but I think that's what's gonna happen.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I also kinda like the idea of keeping Demelo with Chabot and then trading him off to a contender at the deadline. Everyone would be in for a guy making below 1M and that plays top 4 minutes.

Totally. One more thing about demelo, he's one of them there mystical righties...

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I get why the guy with 5 years left on his contract is the one who is going to get prime minutes with Chabot, but there's probably something to be said about playing one of Demelo/Hainsey in that spot and pumping and dumping them. Could make the difference between getting a late 2nd at the deadline or some mid pick if these guys get shelled next to Boro (or each other).

Why not have the mighty Zaitsev play with Boro to shore that pair up.
Why have Hainsey play the right side when we have Zaitsev, Demelo and Jaros there?

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Why not have the mighty Zaitsev play with Boro to shore that pair up.
Why have Hainsey play the right side when we have Zaitsev, Demelo and Jaros there?

So Zaitsev, Demelo and Jaros are playing on the right side and Chabot, Hainsey and Boro are on the left? I think you're forgetting someone ;)

In reality we probably all want Boro to be the one who sits, but I'm just gonna assume it's Jaros until we see any evidence that points us in that direction.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
So Zaitsev, Demelo and Jaros are playing on the right side and Chabot, Hainsey and Boro are on the left? I think you're forgetting someone ;)

In reality we probably all want Boro to be the one who sits, but I'm just gonna assume it's Jaros until we see any evidence that points us in that direction.

I don't think they have one of the young guys (with perceived value) as an extra (#7D) or (#13 forward).
If it was up to me I would not have Boro in the starting 6 and I would have Wolanin in the top 4 on the left side. Who else am I forgetting.
It's been mentioned a couple of times that Jaros has the inside track. I think he is better suited for a more defensive D role than either Wolanin or Brannstrom if that is a factor. If Jaros gets sent down and they play Hainsey on the rightside with Wolanin on the left in the top 4 , I could live with that.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I don't think they have one of the young guys (with perceived value) as an extra (#7D) or (#13 forward).
If it was up to me I would not have Boro in the starting 6 and I would have Wolanin in the top 4 on the left side. Who else am I forgetting.
It's been mentioned a couple of times that Jaros has the inside track. I think he is better suited for a more defensive D role than either Wolanin or Brannstrom if that is a factor. If Jaros gets sent down and they play Hainsey on the rightside with Wolanin on the left in the top 4 , I could live with that.

We're absolutely on the same page here. Whether or not the organization is is another story.

What I'd like to see:

Chabot - Zaitsev/DD
Wolanin - DD/Zaitsev
Hainsey - Jaros
Boro

What I think we'll see (at least to start)

Chabot - Zaitsev
Wolanin - Hainsey
Boro - Demelo
Jaros

I'd love to be proven wrong though.

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019

It's certainly not clear. I was assuming that under the new mantra, everyone competes for a spot, Dorion was injecting competition into the right side, Brannstrom likes the right and Wolanin practiced on the right all summer, as there are only 3 RD. They brought Hainsey in to "mentor" the young D, and overpaid to do so, if there are no young D, other than Chabot, who is he mentoring? I assume since they made the trade for Zaitsev at the same time they picked up Hainsey that they knew or had a feeling that Zaitsev would play with Chabot. I would guess that there will be competition for Jaros' position and that the losers of the competition go to Belleville, to come up for injuries and at the TDL. Unless they are committed to sitting Boro at least every second game then the 7th D should be someone they don't see having a future, so they don't care if gets no game play ie. McCormick, Paul (under Boucher).

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Not sure if the "A"'s have been announced but I would suspect they go to Hainsey, Boro and Pageau. If that's the case , more reason to believe Boro has one of the 5 spots.
So if Hainsey plays on the right side. (I think Dorion said he and Smith agree on this.. but I could be wrong there) .. and Dorion has said Jaros has the inside track .
Which of these is false?

Jaros having the inside track vs lets say Wolanin. If Hainsey plays the right side ,, would they move Jaros to the left side? I don't think so.
Would they keep Jaros as a 7th D? That would be shameful to do to a young player that doesn't need waivers to go down and play big minutes.

If Hainsey plays the left .. Jaros should and imo would definitely have the inside track on RD; even though Wolanin has been practicing there and Brannstrom , according to Dorion (which is well you know) , prefers the right.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I think the writing in on the wall for Demelo. That's not to say the team will move him at any cost, given he's cheap and "good enough" but it's pretty clear the team doesn't see him in the long-term plans. I wouldn't be overly surprised to see him moved sooner than later, which would allow the team to run with this defence...

Chabot - Zaitsev
Wolanin - Hainsey
Borowiecki - Jaros

Brannstrom comes up (full-time) when Hainsey is moved, one of Englund/Ebert probably come up as filler (maybe both if Boro is eventually shipped out as well).

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
I think the writing in on the wall for Demelo. That's not to say the team will move him at any cost, given he's cheap and "good enough" but it's pretty clear the team doesn't see him in the long-term plans. I wouldn't be overly surprised to see him moved sooner than later, which would allow the team to run with this defence...

Chabot - Zaitsev
Wolanin - Hainsey
Borowiecki - Jaros

Brannstrom comes up (full-time) when Hainsey is moved, one of Englund/Ebert probably come up as filler (maybe both if Boro is eventually shipped out as well).
That's a very interesting perspective, I like Demelo, preferably a 3rd pair D, but assumed that they wouldn't get rid of him until the TDL to try to maximize his value.

Do you think they keep him as a 7th D, not caring about his value, or do they try to trade him after camp, November, or December? I could see them keeping him until November or December so that Hainsey can play with Jaros for 2/3 months and then bring up Wolanin or Brannstrom to replace Demelo and Hainsey switches to the right side to partner with Wolanin or Brannstrom. That would maximize the mentoring aspect.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

Totally. No matter what happens, I cannot imagine Wolanin not being a top 4 D-man on Ottawa. If it means Jaros has to at least start the year in Belleville, so be it. I don't think Jaros can learn too much more from the AHL in terms of the speed of the game and his positioning, I think it's NHL time for him, but I maintain it can't hurt. And absolutely there's zero question in my mind that Brannstrom should start in the AHL, this rubbish about Ottawa wanting the key piece in the Stone trade to play in the NHL ASAP is such rubbish.

And Boro can slide in and out of the lineup as needed. I take personal offence (or, I cringe I guess) when I hear Wolanin should start in the AHL, he's CLEARLY one of the best, if not the 2nd best D-man on the NHL team.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

Yeah, that was mentioned this morning, and usually I would dismiss that as silly, as he's one of the better of the righties, but the writing is there considering how much use and how much value a playoff team could have with his cap hit + style of play. A late 1st wouldn't floor me considering the combo of things that will make him so attractive.

Or maybe that's wishful thinking, but a 2nd for sure.

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
If wolanin doesn't have a disastrous camp/pre-season or get injured he better be on the opening roster.

Dj doesn't want me on his bad side.:box:

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
If wolanin doesn't have a disastrous camp/pre-season or get injured he better be on the opening roster.

Dj doesn't want me on his bad side.:box:
I have a feeling we're gonna see a monster camp/pre-season from him. He still has that two-way this year, his spot isn't guaranteed. Seems like the kind of kid who understands that, and probably trained his butt off this summer. I'd rather him play with Hainsey, and give Chabot one of Demelo or Zaitsev.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Tkachuk - White - C. Brown/Paul
Duclair - Tierney - Batherson
Balcers - Pageau - Ryan
Ennis - Anisimov - Boedker

Abramov, Formenton and L.Brown might get called up at some point

Chabot - Hainsey
Wolanin - Zaitsev
Boro - Jaros/Demelo

Brunnstrom and Lajoie might get called up at some point

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
I have a feeling we're gonna see a monster camp/pre-season from him. He still has that two-way this year, his spot isn't guaranteed. Seems like the kind of kid who understands that, and probably trained his butt off this summer. I'd rather him play with Hainsey, and give Chabot one of Demelo or Zaitsev.
This didn't age well :help:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
We often spend an inordinate amount of time speculating about opening night pairings but those pairings typically change around pretty quickly anyway even during the season.

In our case, with so many candidates (one less now) and not a great deal of pre-existing chemistry, I think we're going to see a lot of different looks.

There may be advantages from an asset management point of view to put certain players together, but I suspect that they're really just looking for guys that work together.

I'm curious whether camp will factor in or if they have already made up their minds for the most part. Wolanin probably threw everything into disarray anyway.

Reactions: Cosmix

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
We often spend an inordinate amount of time speculating about opening night pairings but those pairings typically change around pretty quickly anyway even during the season.

In our case, with so many candidates (one less now) and not a great deal of pre-existing chemistry, I think we're going to see a lot of different looks.

There may be advantages from an asset management point of view to put certain players together, but I suspect that they're really just looking for guys that work together.

I'm curious whether camp will factor in or if they have already made up their minds for the most part. Wolanin probably threw everything into disarray anyway.

Part of it for me at this time of the year is the desire to see the young guys who are ready play. Wolanin imo was ready and I cared about him making the team because I think he could help them. I also would like to see an emerging forward get a shot of Boedker as an example.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad