Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
What I'd like to see:

Tkachuk-White-Brown
Duclair-Tierney-Batherson
Balcers-Anisimov-Ryan
Ennis-Pageau-Davidsson/Abramov/whoever wins it
Paul

Only one "real" rookie on the 4th line. Every sophomore is surrounded by vets on his line. Good mix of youth and experience imo. I can see Pageau being traded at the deadline (great addition for any team), and Brown taking his spot.

Chabot-DeMelo
Wolanin/Brannstrom-Zaitsev
Hainsey-Jaros
Boro

Anderson
Nilsson

Gonna be some real competition between Wolanin and Brannstrom for that spot on D. I love it. I want Boro to be the 7th D but he'll probably end up playing 50+ games. Hopefully a team wants him for their playoff run and we sell him for a 5th at the deadline.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
What I'd like to see:

Tkachuk-White-Brown
Duclair-Tierney-Batherson
Balcers-Anisimov-Ryan
Ennis-Pageau-Davidsson/Abramov/whoever wins it
Paul

Only one "real" rookie on the 4th line. Every sophomore is surrounded by vets on his line. Good mix of youth and experience imo. I can see Pageau being traded at the deadline (great addition for any team), and Brown taking his spot.

Chabot-DeMelo
Hainsey-Jaros
Boro

Anderson
Nilsson

Gonna be some real competition between Wolanin and Brannstrom for that spot on D. I love it. I want Boro to be the 7th D but he'll probably end up playing 50+ games. Hopefully a team wants him for their playoff run and we sell him for a 5th at the deadline.

A 7th D playing 50 is pretty common. All that takes is 8+ games missed for the top 6.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Brown played in their top 9
He was 10th in ES toi per game likely in part because Nylander missed so much time. In the playoffs he was9th but Kadri was suspended. Not sure if that would have effected things given Kadri is a center.

Either way he is certainly on that bubble if you look at ice time as opposed to specific lines.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Welcome back to part two of our 2019 Ottawa Senators opening night lineup series. In the first part, we looked at the forwards and their potential lines. Now, it is time to focus on the defence and goalies. As the Zack Smith trade showed today, the potential lineup can change at any time. However, this is our best guess at what the 2019 Ottawa Senators opening night lineup will look like.

Predicting 2019 Ottawa Senators Opening Lineup: Defence and Goalies

Great write-up! thanks!

Reactions: LastWordArmy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
“I think this coming year, 10 out of the 22 players are going to be youth,” he continued. “Meaning they’ll either be rookies, or they’ve played under 10 games last year. And then the following year it’s gonna go up to about 15 of the 22 – maybe 16. So that’s a total turnover, which is what exactly it should be in a rebuild."

Eugene Melnyk, September 10, 2018

"We have a plan. We have many plans" Pierre Dorion.

How many fresh new faces this year with a solid spot?

Reactions: NB613 and branch

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ok...

Tkachuk-White-Brown
Duclair-Anisimov-Batherson
Balcers-Tierney-Ryan
Ennis-Pageau-Davidsson

Honestly, that feels like 3 or 4 3rd lines...

Chabot-Zaitsev
Wolanin/Brannstrom-DeMelo
Hainsey-Jaros

Nilsson
Anderson

PP1
Tkachuk-White-Batherson
Duclair-Chabot

PP2
Balcers-Anisimov-Ryan

PK1
Brown-Pageau
Zaitsev-DeMelo

PK2
Anisimov-White
Hainsey-Jaros

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Ok...

Tkachuk-White-Brown
Duclair-Anisimov-Batherson
Balcers-Tierney-Ryan
Ennis-Pageau-Davidsson

Honestly, that feels like 3 or 4 3rd lines...

Chabot-Zaitsev
Wolanin/Brannstrom-DeMelo
Hainsey-Jaros

Nilsson
Anderson

PP1
Tkachuk-White-Batherson
Duclair-Chabot

PP2
Balcers-Anisimov-Ryan

PK1
Brown-Pageau
Zaitsev-DeMelo

PK2
Anisimov-White
Hainsey-Jaros

Ha. Three or four third lines, good one. Seriously though, this is probably the most realistic scenario I've seen yet, not that I've read through all 17 pages.

Still some errors though. Boedker should play more than Ennis, and it would make more sense to play him higher in the lineup in hopes of flipping him at the deadline - better chance at getting a return for Boedker than Ennis. Balcers has to earn his minutes. He certainly shouldn't be handed PP time over veterans Brown, Tierney, maybe Pageau. Tierney will see more PK time than Anisimov. They won't load up the top PP with kids. Unless Brannstrom is up, we have many more PP options on forward than D, so would make more sense to roll with four Fs on both units more often than not. Zaitsev saw almost no PP time in Toronto.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ha. Three or four third lines, good one. Seriously though, this is probably the most realistic scenario I've seen yet, not that I've read through all 17 pages.

Still some errors though. Boedker should play more than Ennis, and it would make more sense to play him higher in the lineup in hopes of flipping him at the deadline - better chance at getting a return for Boedker than Ennis. Balcers has to earn his minutes. He certainly shouldn't be handed PP time over veterans Brown, Tierney, maybe Pageau. Tierney will see more PK time than Anisimov. They won't load up the top PP with kids. Unless Brannstrom is up, we have many more PP options on forward than D, so would make more sense to roll with four Fs on both units more often than not. Zaitsev saw almost no PP time in Toronto.

Ennis paced at 29 pts playing in a defensive forward role playing 10 mins a night in Toronto with limited PP time. Boedker paced a little higher at 39 pts but got significantly more icetime. Honestly don't see them all that far apart in terms of offense, and Ennis is significantly better suited for 4th line role as he is much better defensively.

If Boedker gets in the lineup and isn't a healthy scratch (most likely that will be the case to start the season) it will likely come at the expense of Davidsson imo.

Playing Boedker higher in the lineup will be difficult; who among Brown, Duclair, Tkachuk, Batherson, Ryan, or Balcers does he bump to get into the top 9? Balcers maybe? Perhaps the team will want to pump and dump him, so maybe he does, but it's certainly not a guarantee imo.

Tierney getting more PK time than Anisimov is certainly possible, I don't see either as particularly good options. Maybe Tkachuk or Davidsson should he make the team gets the call instead, who knows.

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010
If Boedker gets in the lineup and isn't a healthy scratch (most likely that will be the case to start the season) it will likely come at the expense of Davidsson imo. Yes.

Playing Boedker higher in the lineup will be difficult; who among Brown, Duclair, Tkachuk, Batherson, Ryan, or Balcers does he bump to get into the top 9? Balcers maybe? Yes. Perhaps the team will want to pump and dump him, (yes) so maybe he does, but it's certainly not a guarantee (correct) imo.

Tierney getting more PK time than Anisimov is certainly possible, I don't see either as particularly good options. Fair, but Tierney has averaged around :20 SHTOI per game more over the past two seasons. Maybe Tkachuk or Davidsson should he make the team gets the call instead, who knows. Agreed Tkachuk should start seeing some PK minutes. Davidsson needs an AHL year to learn North American game.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Boedker was a bad move to acquire. I'll take Ennis over Boedker when healthy. Swallow Boedker's contract. Don't force him in the lineup because he has a bloated contract. I would rather give his spot to youth and use his spot to platoon guys in from Belleville unless someone grabs it by the horns.

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010
Ok, I feel a tangent coming on, just know it isn't directed at anyone in particular if it gets heated.

I just generally hate the idea of handing roster spots to kids. For one thing, it isn't good hockey management and development. They need to be challenged and not have things given to them. As Torts always says, "learn to respect the league."

The other thing is, I am and will always be on the side of the players. I remember when I was a young nerd who'd never played sports back in 2005 at the lockout, I took the bait hook line and sinker. "These spoiled athletes getting paid millions of dollars to play the game they love, and they're whining for more money". f*** that.

I grew up and learned about how the world works, and tried learning some athletic skills myself. Now I have a tremendous amount of respect for athletes and the amount of training and dedication that goes into it, and on the other hand, I realize that the people making the real money, whether in film, music or sports, are the billionaires behind the scenes.

The way the CBA is set up now, it is designed to force veteran depth players out of the league younger than ever, to be replaced by young players on ELCs. I don't know what the solution to this is, but I think considering essentially all GMs and coaches are former players, as much as they want to win first, they would agree with me on giving veterans every opportunity to keep their spots over kids. One of the reasons I had such tremendous respect for Boucher playing the Pyatts and Thompsons of the world.

This narrative I keep seeing that this or that player outright sucks, it's a f***ing joke. No NHL player sucks at hockey. There's a reason they're in the best league in the world. Reframe your language and mindset. Maybe they're hampered by a career of injuries, maybe they've lost a step in their skating, maybe they're overpaid, misused, over-utilized. Then say that. Have some respect for the game you love. People might start to think you're a decent person and that you know what you're talking about. Only other juvenile buffoons appreciate when one juvenile buffoon calls a player "human garbage".

It takes the vast majority of young players a long time to learn the tricks and trade of the veterans in the best league in the world. I like how Torts always puts it, "players need to learn to respect the league, because those top-end players are so smart and they think and see the game so subtly, that when a skilled young player comes in, they know exactly how to bait him into thinking he has a play, only to make him look foolish". Look at some in-depth analytics, particularly on special teams, and you'll clearly see the differences between young players and even mediocre veterans. Look into RelPPGF/60 and RelSHGA/60. It's pretty glaring.

Some may argue that it doesn't matter because we're trying to tank anyway so giving spots to young players makes us worse and they also get more development time, all the better. Ask an Oiler fan how this works out. Development is a fine balance between giving players as much as they can handle to force them to develop, while not putting them in over their heads and risk destroying their confidence and mentality.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
Boedker should play more than Ennis, and it would make more sense to play him higher in the lineup in hopes of flipping him at the deadline - better chance at getting a return for Boedker than Ennis. Balcers has to earn his minutes.

Totally agree. Boedker is a better option than Balcers and probably better than Ennis as well. I am not sure Batherson will be able to handle the daily grind of top minutes. I think Formenton makes the team.

This is what I'd like to see:

Tkachuk White Ryan
Boedker Anisimov Duclair
Ennis Tierney Brown
Batherson Pageau Formenton

Don't count vets like Ryan and Boedker out just yet. With no stars left on this team, vets like Ryan and Boedker, if given ice time, may just surprise us.

What we don't want to do is force young guys like Batherson into a role they are not ready for.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
wrt Balcers vs Boedker; One of these guys finished the year after the deadline getting 14+ mins a night, the other with 10 mins and occasionally being a healthy scratch. Coaching staff has changed, but the previous group grew to prefer Balcers as the year went on. Perhaps that was to try and give the kids more opportunity as the season became meaningless, but frankly Boedker hadn't been particularly effective out there for a while.

Idk, if there's a guy on a one way that is most likely to be a healthy scratch to start the year, my money is on Boedker. You can't put lipstick on a pig, I don't see any teams falling for a pump and dump with him.

Reactions: NB613

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Brown played in their top 9
Connor Brown played as our 4th line RW when everyone was in the lineup last year. Ideally, you want to see him play a more defensive or grinding role on your team. If he has to play in your top 9, keep him on a checking line. Offense dies on his stick and he struggles to keep up with more skilled linemates. When Hyman was out, he filled his role with Tavares and Marner and couldn't produce.

He's a good checker and is good on the PK too. Don't expect much offensively from him though.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Connor Brown played as our 4th line RW when everyone was in the lineup last year. Ideally, you want to see him play a more defensive or grinding role on your team. If he has to play in your top 9, keep him on a checking line. Offense dies on his stick and he struggles to keep up with more skilled linemates. When Hyman was out, he filled his role with Tavares and Marner and couldn't produce.

He's a good checker and is good on the PK too. Don't expect much offensively from him though.

I agree - I think he represents defensive insulation (PK/3-4th line) to keep those roles away form Batherson, Formenton, Balcers or which ever rookies makes the team.

Reactions: smitty10

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
this is what i would like to see

we should be keeping ryan and anisimov separate

Tkachuk-White-Batherson/Formenton (whoever impresses more)
Duclair-Tierney-Ryan
Balcers-Anisimov-Brown
Ennis-Pageau-Boedker
Paul

Chabot-DeMelo
Hainsey-Jaros

whichever one of batherson/formenton impress more i want them with tkachuk and white to try and build long term chemistry. Plus if brady takes a step forward then we have at least 1 second line and 3 third lines

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Tkachuk - White - Ryan
Brown - Tierney - Batherson
Balcers - Anisimov - Duclair
Ennis - Pageau - Boedker
Paul

Chabot - Zaitsev
Brannstrom - Demelo
Hainsey - Jaros
Borowiecki

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
this is what i would like to see

we should be keeping ryan and anisimov separate

Tkachuk-White-Batherson/Formenton (whoever impresses more)
Duclair-Tierney-Ryan
Balcers-Anisimov-Brown
Ennis-Pageau-Boedker
Paul

Chabot-DeMelo
Hainsey-Jaros

whichever one of batherson/formenton impress more i want them with tkachuk and white to try and build long term chemistry. Plus if brady takes a step forward then we have at least 1 second line and 3 third lines
Pretty the same line up i figure but I change Formenton for Davidsson

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I think Anisimov has an slight edge on Tierney.

I can see them using Pageau as second line centre and on the PP to pad his stats and show him off so they can trade him in February.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Pretty the same line up i figure but I change Formenton for Davidsson

i guess which ever rookie impresses the most gets that spot and that is fine with me. The most important thing for me is that since the rookie is playing with players that are actually a part of our future

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad