Line Combos: 2019/2020 Lineup

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Or is it two steps back to then take one step forward?

Well if we're talking the last 2+ years into account I'd say it's more like taking two steps back and then falling down the stairs.

Not much to do but try and climb back up at this point though.

Reactions: Cosmix

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I guess not, but Davidsson's development needs to be taken into account as well. Is JD (or Formenton or whoever) better off playing top-six minutes on what should be a competitive AHL team or playing bottom-six minutes on an expected dumpster fire of a team.

An argument could be made for either one honestly, but I'm of the mind that we should over-marinate these guys in a down year.

I think Boedker is a collosal waste of space, but he's just about the perfect fit for this season (he sucks, he's an FA next off-season, he makes less than hit cap hit on a backdiving deal). It's the vets with term I've got an issue with, but that's for another thread :laugh:

I think that Formenton will crack the squad for sure. He already has 10 NHL games and should be better and stronger this season. He's made the team for 2 years in a row now, you gotta think it will be a 3rd time especially when you consider this is the weakest forward group of those 3 teams.

But yeah, come to think of it, FYOUS is being set up pretty nicely if it's actually real.

Boedker has one more year, Smith has two more years, and Ryan has three more years. That's pretty much it for bad contracts... Zaitsev will have 3 more years left when FYOUS is supposed to begin, but I think he'll have better value at that point in time. Ryan I think can be traded as soon as this deadline if he stays healthy and puts up similar totals as last season (15+ goals, 40+ points), if not this summer or next deadline for sure.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I think that Formenton will crack the squad for sure. He already has 10 NHL games and should be better and stronger this season. He's made the team for 2 years in a row now, you gotta think it will be a 3rd time especially when you consider this is the weakest forward group of those 3 teams.

But yeah, come to think of it, FYOUS is being set up pretty nicely if it's actually real.

Boedker has one more year, Smith has two more years, and that's pretty much it for bad contracts... Zaitsev will have 3 more years left when FYOUS is supposed to begin, but I think he'll have better value at that point in time.

What I think will happen and what I want to happen are very different unfortunately :laugh:

You're probably right about Formenton, I'd just like to see him start in Belleville next to Brown/Norris and work his way back up to the big squad (maybe a Boedker/Ennis trade sometime between the start of the season and the dealine could be his "in").

You're also "forgetting" Ryan, but I'll assume that's just because we all know he isn't going anywhere.

Reactions: operasen

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Boedker has one more year, Smith has two more years, and Ryan has three more years. That's pretty much it for bad contracts... Zaitsev will have 3 more years left when FYOUS is supposed to begin, but I think he'll have better value at that point in time. Ryan I think can be traded as soon as this deadline if he stays healthy and puts up similar totals as last season (15+ goals, 40+ points), if not this summer or next deadline for sure.

I don't think Formenton will make the Ottawa lineup out of camp. He needs more development time in the AHL playing against men. There are other forwards who have more experience than him at this time, including Chlapik, Brown, Batherson, Paul plus the new guys (Ennis, Davidson, Balcers, Abramov). But I like his speed and tenacity; its his offensive skills and man-strength that needs more development.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Boedker has to be moved somehow...

How are we rebuilding if Ryan, Smith, Ennis, Tierney, Pageau AND Boedker are dressed?

The others still have something to offer and obviously you need some vets, but it’s roadkill and he’s blocking someone else.
I would say Boedker and Smith... Boedker was a fn mistake in the Hoffman trade. He adds nothing.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I guess not, but Davidsson's development needs to be taken into account as well. Is JD (or Formenton or whoever) better off playing top-six minutes on what should be a competitive AHL team or playing bottom-six minutes on an expected dumpster fire of a team.

An argument could be made for either one honestly, but I'm of the mind that we should over-marinate these guys in a down year.

I think Boedker is a collosal waste of space, but he's just about the perfect fit for this season (he sucks, he's an FA next off-season, he makes less than hit cap hit on a backdiving deal). It's the vets with term I've got an issue with, but that's for another thread :laugh:
I'd rather lose without him .. Platoon guys in for stints in his spot Paul, Kastelic, Davisson .. give them a taste, a road trip, into to the NHL.. f*ck Boedker :laugh:

Reactions: Frank8

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Ottawa should have approximately 10 UFAs they could trade this coming season leading up to the trade deadline which could return them a few more picks/prospects & MacArthur's contract also ends after this season. And they could also move a couple of players who may not be part of their future plans to bring in a peice that they need or just add more picks/prospects to their stock. I expect they will also add at least 2 or 3 good players in next yr's draft who should be future players for this team.

2020 Lineup to Start the Season:
Duclair - Tierny - Ryan
Tkachuk - White - Batherson
Smith - Pageau UFA - Brown
Ennis UFA - Paul - Boedker UFA/Veronneau

Chabot - Zaitsev
Wolanin - DeMello UFA
Borowieki UFA - Hainsley UFA/Jaros

Anderson UFA - Nilsson/Condon UFA

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

I think the forward group is deeper than we have had over the past several years. We lack the upper end talent for sure but imo there's no question that our depth is in much better shape. For menton has more competition for a spot this year than either of the last two.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I think the forward group is deeper than we have had over the past several years. We lack the upper end talent for sure but imo there's no question that our depth is in much better shape. For menton has more competition for a spot this year than either of the last two.

I'm not sure how you can argue that when last year's team had Duchene-Dzingel-Stone-Ryan-Tierney-Pageau-Tkachuk-White and the year before had Brassard-Turris-Hoffman instead of Tierney and Tkachuk.

If you're talking about spots on the 3rd and 4th lines it's a bit more open, but the top 6 and 9 are as open as ever.

Reactions: Cosmix

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I'm not sure how you can argue that when last year's team had Duchene-Dzingel-Stone-Ryan-Tierney-Pageau-Tkachuk-White and the year before had Brassard-Turris-Hoffman instead of Tierney and Tkachuk.

If you're talking about spots on the 3rd and 4th lines it's a bit more open, but the top 6 and 9 are as open as ever.

You are talking about 3 guys being gone. In terms of available spots and the number of guys competing for those spots it's pretty tight.

The past two years I think we had guys thrilled to make the team. At this point I think weve got several guys that won't make the team and will be disappointed. Competition for spots 8 thru 12 has never been deeper

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
What I think will happen and what I want to happen are very different unfortunately :laugh:

You're probably right about Formenton, I'd just like to see him start in Belleville next to Brown/Norris and work his way back up to the big squad (maybe a Boedker/Ennis trade sometime between the start of the season and the dealine could be his "in").

You're also "forgetting" Ryan, but I'll assume that's just because we all know he isn't going anywhere.
Agree here. Keep the group together and let them learn to win in Belleville. Davidsson is older and can play in Ottawa, although I do like him as a piece into the future.

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
No way Tkachuk plays a minute in AHL - if he was going to do that, they would have done that last year for their playoff push. I can see the case for the other guys, but I think Batherson is an NHL lock to start.
There is a possibility that Tkachuk doesn't play, however this was his first year of playing pro with the 80 games and grind of 24/7 hockey. Tkachuk even turned down playing for team USA this summer, so he was either tired or wanted to devote himself to training. So, yes it is a possibility he wouldn't play in the playoffs, if Belleville makes them, just pointing out there might be a reason why he wasn't put on the roster last year.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
UPDATE:

Tkachuk [.925/.925] - Anisimov [4.55/2.0] - Brown [2.1/1.6]
Duclair [1.65/1.65] - White [X] - Batherson [.736666/.78]
Ennis [.8/.8] - Pageau [3.1/3.4] - Ryan [7.25/7.5]
Paul [.75/.75] - Tierney [2.9375/2.975] - Balcers [.759167/.7925]
Boedker [4.0/3.0]

Chabot [.863333/.8325] - Zaitsev [4.5/1.5]
Brannstrom [.863333/.925] - Hainsey [3.5/3.5]
Borowiecki [1.2/1.2] - DeMelo [.9/.9]
Jaros [.755/.805]

Anderson [4.75/4.0]
Nilsson [2.6/2.8]

LTIR - Gaborik [4.875], MacArthur [4.65]; Cash [1.585]
Buried - Condon [1.325]; Cash [3.0]
Buyout - Phaneuf [.729167]; Cash [1.416667]

Total Cap = 61.07M [62.15M]
Total Cash = 48.64M

The 62.15M cap figure is if they carry Condon on the NHL roster, which they may do to gain a cap cushion.

If you factor out the cap and money going to players who won't be playing for the team [Gaborik, Mac, and Phaneuf]:

Cap: 50.82M [51.9M]
Cash: 45.64M

Reactions: Variable26

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
We are an AHL team....But we are a team lol
We were a team last year. We have to be something else this year. What will Dorion come up with to that question this year. He's had a whole year to think about it so he shouldn't have to think about it quite so long.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
We were a team last year. We have to be something else this year. What will Dorion come up with to that question this year. He's had a whole year to think about it so he shouldn't have to think about it quite so long.

We're a team...on the rise. A long way to go though

Sidenote: Anisimov should not get top line minutes. Best resort is to have him play alongside Tierney/Pageau on the 2nd/3rd line as a winger who can take faceoffs from time to time.

West Coast Eagles

Sep 24, 2008
Bne
Can someone confirm the following:
- Gaborik and MacArthur have approx 75% of their salary covered by insurance, and,
- we aren't on the hook for any $ amount of Dion's buyout, just the cap hit.

Thanks.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Can someone confirm the following:
- Gaborik and MacArthur have approx 75% of their salary covered by insurance, and,
- we aren't on the hook for any $ amount of Dion's buyout, just the cap hit.

Thanks.

Insurance covers up to 80% of a players salary. the equivalent of 5 players at 80% can be insured, or the coverage can be split across more players (for example, 10 players at 40%). The speculation was that both Gaborik and MacArthur have 80% coverage.

I assume that we pay the 2/3rds of the amount we retained, but I can't confirm that.

Reactions: West Coast Eagles

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
UPDATE:

Tkachuk [.925/.925] - Anisimov [4.55/2.0] - Brown [2.1/1.6]
Duclair [1.65/1.65] - White [X] - Batherson [.736666/.78]
Ennis [.8/.8] - Pageau [3.1/3.4] - Ryan [7.25/7.5]
Paul [.75/.75] - Tierney [2.9375/2.975] - Balcers [.759167/.7925]
Boedker [4.0/3.0]

Chabot [.863333/.8325] - Zaitsev [4.5/1.5]
Brannstrom [.863333/.925] - Hainsey [3.5/3.5]
Borowiecki [1.2/1.2] - DeMelo [.9/.9]
Jaros [.755/.805]

Anderson [4.75/4.0]
Nilsson [2.6/2.8]

LTIR - Gaborik [4.875], MacArthur [4.65]; Cash [1.585]
Buried - Condon [1.325]; Cash [3.0]
Buyout - Phaneuf [.729167]; Cash [1.416667]

Total Cap = 61.07M [62.15M]
Total Cash = 48.64M

The 62.15M cap figure is if they carry Condon on the NHL roster, which they may do to gain a cap cushion.

If you factor out the cap and money going to players who won't be playing for the team [Gaborik, Mac, and Phaneuf]:

Cap: 50.82M [51.9M]
Cash: 45.64M

I don't think Paul will be with the team, so Boedker takes his position in the lineup because he has a 1-way until traded.
I also think Brannstrom will not start in Ottawa as Wolanin is ready and will take that spot playing with Zaitsev or De Melo.
Boro, Jaros and Hainsey will be on the 3rd D pair. The team will only carry one extra player due to budget reasons and the nearness of Belleville.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
We're a team...on the rise. A long way to go though

Sidenote: Anisimov should not get top line minutes. Best resort is to have him play alongside Tierney/Pageau on the 2nd/3rd line as a winger who can take faceoffs from time to time.

The team has been falling lately and the "rise" is uncertain after the trades that have been made in the last few years.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
You are talking about 3 guys being gone. In terms of available spots and the number of guys competing for those spots it's pretty tight.

The past two years I think we had guys thrilled to make the team. At this point I think weve got several guys that won't make the team and will be disappointed. Competition for spots 8 thru 12 has never been deeper

Just look at the one-way NHL contracts; they tell the story.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
How many of our forwards would crack the top nine in
Tampa Bay
Florida
Toronto
Boston

Tkachuk and maybe White?

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Reactions: Variable26