Line Combos: 2019-2020 Line/D Pairing discussions & proposals

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Still no idea why they play Bjork all year, don't want to trade him, then deadline hits and you can't upgrade anymore sooooo you scratch him continually now to once again keep the standard of 4 4th liners minimum per game. Bruins are still short one top 6 player even after all the deals.

I mean Bjork has clearly hit a wall. Him getting a few scratches here to get his head straight is fine. Its March and they are first in the NHL.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I'd like to see DeBrusk and Kase together...

Marchand - Bergy - Pasta
DeBrusk - Coyle - Kase
Ritchie - Krejci - Bjork

Yes to Debrusk and Kase but no to Ritchie and Krejci

Marchand Bergy Pasta
Debrusk Krejci Kase
Ritchie Coyle Wagner
Bjork Kuraly Kuhlman

please?

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Marchand Bergy Kase
Kuraly Krejci Pasta (looked awesome)
Ritchie Coyle Debrusk
Nordy Lindholm Wags

A few more games. Otherwise try

Debrusk Coyle Seny/Studnicka

Someone needs to light a fire up Ritchie azz. Is like strolling and thinking too much vs playing with more desparation

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
How much time do Ritchie/Kase have in the line up (appreciate new team/system and return from injury thing) before a P bruin is given an opportunity?

Watching Ritchie give up on plays is not going to fly with Cassidy.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I really like juggling the lines in order to find a spark of chemistry short term and long term. At this point though, in the final 15-20 games, I would have some things set in stone. One of those things is Debrusk on the LW. I never move him to the right not for a fourth liner, not for Bjork not for anyone. Marchand is the #1 LW and DeBrusk #2 LW. It doesn't mean he has to be witht the #2 C but he should never be on the RW again this season 5v5 for more then a shift or two.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I've beaten this drum for a few years now, they need to consider breaking up the "perfection line" 5v5. It balances the lineup better and gives them more offense. The top line tanked in the finals last season and it really hurt their chances. I'd give Kase a chance there to possibly get him going and get Bjork back into the lineup. They will need his speed and skill in the playoffs.

Marchand-Bergeron-Kase
Ritchie/DeBrusk-Krejci-Pastrnak
Ritchie/DeBrusk-Coyle-Bjork
Kuraly-Lindholm-Wagner
Nordstrom/Kuhlman

If Kase/Ritchie/DeBrusk/Bjork don't wake up, Studnicka should get a call up and get a look in the top 9.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I would have some things set in stone. One of those things is Debrusk on the LW. I never move him to the right not for a fourth liner, not for Bjork not for anyone. It doesn't mean he has to be witht the #2 C but he should never be on the RW again this season 5v5 for more then a shift or two.

Why? DeBrusk had 4 shots on goal, 1 hit. I didn't notice any difference from him on RW.

What did DeBrusk do last night on RW that was any worse than when he went 10 games without a point at LW? I think he's the same guy on either wing.

Reactions: Carlon Brando

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I've beaten this drum for a few years now, they need to consider breaking up the "perfection line" 5v5. It balances the lineup better and gives them more offense. The top line tanked in the finals last season and it really hurt their chances. I'd give Kase a chance there to possibly get him going and get Bjork back into the lineup. They will need his speed and skill in the playoffs.

Marchand-Bergeron-Kase
Ritchie/DeBrusk-Krejci-Pastrnak
Ritchie/DeBrusk-Coyle-Bjork
Kuraly-Lindholm-Wagner
Nordstrom/Kuhlman

If Kase/Ritchie/DeBrusk/Bjork don't wake up, Studnicka should get a call up and get a look in the top 9.

I think the reason they don't break up the perfection line is because DeBrusk - Krejci - Pasta has never really clicked. People ask for it every year, and we see it every year, and it's forgettable every year.

The numbers also show Pasta is much more effective with Marchand.

Lastly, DeBrusk has generally been stapled to Krejci so that 3rd wheel has been tough to fit. Krejci and Pasta have played well together, but not DeBrusk and Pasta. DeBrusk and Kuhlman have played well together, but not Krejci and Kuhlman.

They separated DeBrusk and Krejci recently and I give them credit for finally deconstructing the middle6. Coyle has more TOI than any other center the last 4 or 5 games. It seems like they're trying to see if they can get something going with DeBrusk and Coyle as the 2nd line anchors, but the rest of the lineup is floundering 5on5.

I agree, if Kase, Ritchie and Bjork don't wake up, they should take a look at what's in Providence. A lot of guys having good years down there. And there isn't much time left in the regular season to tinker.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I think if the Bruins moved Pastrnak down to the 2nd line, I think there would be some interesting lines that could be made, but I can't see Cassidy separating the Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak line. He hasn't before, probably won't now.

Kuraly should stay on the 4th line and at wing.

The thing is, the Bruins need to find the right combinations in the middle 6. Last year in the playoffs, the bottom 6 was able to carry the team's production for most of the games and that was largely in part due to the 4th line buzzing around and Mojo and Coyle.

I think it's time for Bjork to get back in the lineup. I wouldn't mind seeing this middle 6 get a shot. It would give Bjork a lot of space playing with those two:

DeBrusk - Krejci - Kase
Ritchie - Coyle - Bjork

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I think if the Bruins moved Pastrnak down to the 2nd line, I think there would be some interesting lines that could be made, but I can't see Cassidy separating the Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak line. He hasn't before, probably won't now.

Kuraly should stay on the 4th line and at wing.

The thing is, the Bruins need to find the right combinations in the middle 6. Last year in the playoffs, the bottom 6 was able to carry the team's production for most of the games and that was largely in part due to the 4th line buzzing around and Mojo and Coyle.

I think it's time for Bjork to get back in the lineup. I wouldn't mind seeing this middle 6 get a shot. It would give Bjork a lot of space playing with those two:

DeBrusk - Krejci - Kase
Ritchie - Coyle - Bjork

If I'm Cassidy, I flip flop DK and Coyle from your lines and write off DK until he shows he's out of this funk. Guy has been lousy for 2 months now and he's killing every line's production he's on. They also have to stop chasing this concept of getting him going. Stop taking lines that are productive and making them less productive because DK needs other players to elevate him rather than the other way around. The first line has been great, the third line has been really good, the 4th line has been fine. The issue is the second line, regardless of what combination of players you throw out there. What's the common theme? The guy at the center spot there. Bump him down to 3rd line and let him work his way out of this malaise instead of rearranging the all the lines to try to get him going.

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
Last nights results helped the division lead. Im guessing they take everyone on the west coast swing (possibly call up one extra forward). See how they stand after its done and possible rest guys. The Carolina and St Louis road trips may be the big rest games.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
If I'm Cassidy, I flip flop DK and Coyle from your lines and write off DK until he shows he's out of this funk. Guy has been lousy for 2 months now and he's killing every line's production he's on. They also have to stop chasing this concept of getting him going. Stop taking lines that are productive and making them less productive because DK needs other players to elevate him rather than the other way around. The first line has been great, the third line has been really good, the 4th line has been fine. The issue is the second line, regardless of what combination of players you throw out there. What's the common theme? The guy at the center spot there. Bump him down to 3rd line and let him work his way out of this malaise instead of rearranging the all the lines to try to get him going.
Whatever works. Bruins have 12 games to figure it out.

Reactions: LSCII

Carlon Brando

May 22, 2014
Boston
Why I think last night's shuffled lines worked:

Kuraly/Krejci/Pastrnak - As odd as it sounds, I think it helped both 46 & 88 by NOT having a third linemate as a viable option to involve in the offense. Kuraly's role was simply to forecheck hard and to be the defensive presence on the line. Krejci and Pasta are often guilty of overthinking plays and getting too cute instead of just keeping things simple; it seemed like by limiting their options they were actually a step quicker and more decisive. Obviously Kuraly in a vacuum is not a second line quality player, but this combination clicked in a way that was greater than the sum of its parts.

Ritchie/Coyle/DeBrusk - This was not about how effective Ritchie was (or wasn't), but how effective he allowed DeBrusk to be. Jake last night was fast, engaged, aggressive, and overall pretty dangerous. The switch to right wing didn't affect his game at all. I think lining up with two bigger guys put him in a comfort zone where he was able to do less thinking and more playing. DeBrusk providing consistent secondary scoring threats is absolutely essential to the team's chances at success. I don't care what Ritchie does out there, if he can bring out the good version of DeBrusk then it's worth it.

Marchand/Bergeron/Kase - Should be fairly obvious that this line worked because 63 & 37 are just excellent hockey players. They can literally produce on their own without even having a third linemate (aka short handed), so this seems like the best possible place to shelter Kase while he tries to get into the swing of things.

Fourth Line - Got about a million options for this line, and they all seem to be fairly equal in terms of value and contribution. No complaints .

I think they should strongly consider keeping the lines like this for a bit. It looks a little odd on paper, but if it produces results that's all that matters.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Figured I'd bump this since we know that the rosters will be 28 skaters with unlimited goalies. Here's what I'm thinking for skaters, since I assume you'd want all of your healthy goalies included.

Assuming health, I think all of the following are locks:

ForwardDefense
BergeronChara
MarchandMcAvoy
PastrnakKrug
KrejciCarlo
DeBruskGrzelcyk
CoyleLauzon
KaseMoore
N. RitchieClifton
BjorkKampfer
Kuraly
Wagner
Nordstrom
Lindholm
Kuhlman
Blidh
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

That's 24 skaters, leaving 4 more spots. Some of these are more likely than others, but I'd guess we're looking at the following battling for the last 4 spots: Studnicka, B. Ritchie, Cehlarik, Frederic, and Senyshyn at forward, and then Vaakanainen and Zboril on defense. Personally, I'd guess Studnicka and B. Ritchie are likely. I would have said Vaakanainen over Zboril, considering he's got more NHL experience, but, by all accounts, Zboril was the better player at the end of the season. I assume everyone signed to an NHL deal, who has professional experience, will be brought to "training camp", and then they'll have to decide from there based on what kind of shape everyone is in.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I am so glad I don't have to decide.

Marchy - Bergy - Pasta
Nordy - Kuraly - Wagner

I have no idea what the 3rd line looks like or who I would put with Debrusk and Krejci

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Figured I'd bump this since we know that the rosters will be 28 skaters with unlimited goalies. Here's what I'm thinking for skaters, since I assume you'd want all of your healthy goalies included.

Assuming health, I think all of the following are locks:

ForwardDefense
BergeronChara
MarchandMcAvoy
PastrnakKrug
KrejciCarlo
DeBruskGrzelcyk
CoyleLauzon
KaseMoore
N. RitchieClifton
BjorkKampfer
Kuraly
Wagner
Nordstrom
Lindholm
Kuhlman
Blidh
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
That's 24 skaters, leaving 4 more spots. Some of these are more likely than others, but I'd guess we're looking at the following battling for the last 4 spots: Studnicka, B. Ritchie, Cehlarik, Frederic, and Senyshyn at forward, and then Vaakanainen and Zboril on defense. Personally, I'd guess Studnicka and B. Ritchie are likely. I would have said Vaakanainen over Zboril, considering he's got more NHL experience, but, by all accounts, Zboril was the better player at the end of the season. I assume everyone signed to an NHL deal, who has professional experience, will be brought to "training camp", and then they'll have to decide from there based on what kind of shape everyone is in.

I'd say Studnicka is a lock to take a spot as he's expected to be a main stay next year. Frederic plays a style that fits playoff hockey, plus he can play C/LW and in the bottom 6. That leaves 2 spots and I'd think they'd want to spend them on defense, so by default it'd be Vaak and Zboril. Would love for Seny to get the nod, but if they split it 2 and 2, he's competing against Stud and Frederic and I don't see him beating out either.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I am so glad I don't have to decide.

Marchy - Bergy - Pasta
Nordy - Kuraly - Wagner

I have no idea what the 3rd line looks like or who I would put with Debrusk and Krejci
Outside of the obvious concerns about return to play, the Kase and Ritchie fits is a big concern with meaningful games off the bat. I think Cassidy will go back to reliable connections like DeBrusk and Krejci and Bjork and Coyle. I know DeBrusk looked good with Coyle at times too, but you can't just give Krejci both new guys. The option to move Pasta around is way out the window now IMO. You have to go to your big guns, even more so in this situation.

Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
DeBrusk-Krejci-Kase
N. Ritchie-Coyle-Bjork
Nordstrom-Kuraly-Wagner
Extras: Lindholm, Kuhlman, Studnicka, Blidh, Frederic

Chara-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Grzelcyk-Clifton
Extras: Lauzon, Moore, Kampfer, Vaakanainen, Zboril

Rask
Halak
Extras: Vladar, Lagace

I believe you can carry 10 extra skaters from the 18 guys skating in any given game, and an unlimited amount of goalies.

I'm genuinely curious to see who the 6th D will be. I think you could argue for any one of Clifton, Lauzon or Moore. I like Lauzon the most, but Clifton has that natural RHD spot. Also curious what Kevan Miller's status is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Outside of the obvious concerns about return to play, the Kase and Ritchie fits is a big concern with meaningful games off the bat. I think Cassidy will go back to reliable connections like DeBrusk and Krejci and Bjork and Coyle. I know DeBrusk looked good with Coyle at times too, but you can't just give Krejci both new guys. The option to move Pasta around is way out the window now IMO. You have to go to your big guns, even more so in this situation.

DeBrusk-Krejci-Kase
N. Ritchie-Coyle-Bjork
Nordstrom-Kuraly-Wagner

Chara-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Grzelcyk-Clifton

Rask
Halak

I believe you can carry 10 extra skaters from the 18 guys skating in any given game, and an unlimited amount of goalies.

I'm genuinely curious to see who the 6th D will be. I think you could argue for any one of Clifton, Lauzon or Moore. I like Lauzon the most, but Clifton has that natural RHD spot. Also curious what Kevan Miller's status is.
I feel awful for forgetting about Coyle and Bjork. Epic fail on my part.

I'm optimistic about Kase as he's going to be a lot healthier than he was when they stopped playing.

Nick Ritchie is the wildcard for me.

I think you go with Lauzon over Cliffy and Moore to start.

Kevan Miller is likely done. He just had another procedure a few weeks ago.

You absolutely must play Jaro in one game.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

DeBrusk-Krejci-Kase
N. Ritchie-Coyle-Bjork
Nordstrom-Kuraly-Wagner

Chara-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Grzelcyk-Clifton

Rask
Halak

Idea I pitched on CF was:

Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
DeBrusk - Krejci - Coyle
Bjork - Studnicka - Kase
Ritchie - Kuraly - Wagner

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Kase has had time to heal up so I'm really looking forward to seeing him, keeping in mind that he & his teammates have not played in over 2 months.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Idea I pitched on CF was:

Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
DeBrusk - Krejci - Coyle
Bjork - Studnicka - Kase
Ritchie - Kuraly - Wagner

I think Coyle has shown to be a much better C than W, so I'd rather keep him at 3C. He gives credibility to the 3rd line, and it's a match-up advantage against most teams. Adding Studnicka to the lineup is intriguing, but it's tough to throw him into the playoffs when he's got just 2 NHL games under his belt. I think you have him as the top center replacement if any of Bergeron, Krejci, or Coyle go out.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I think Coyle has shown to be a much better C than W, so I'd rather keep him at 3C. He gives credibility to the 3rd line, and it's a match-up advantage against most teams. Adding Studnicka to the lineup is intriguing, but it's tough to throw him into the playoffs when he's got just 2 NHL games under his belt. I think you have him as the top center replacement if any of Bergeron, Krejci, or Coyle go out.

He has, but its not like he's a scrub on the RW. Krejci's possession numbers and advanced stats seem to be best when Coyle is on his RW and being that the 2nd line has been an concern for 3-4 years now, why not put him there? The advanced numbers say a trio of DeBrusk - Krejci - Coyle can been solid in possession and scoring chances.

I'm also not sure I'm following with Studnicka. You say its tough to throw him in because he's only played 2 NHL games (BTW McAvoy had zero when he jumped in during a playoff run), but if we lose a center he's the top choice to replace them? If you have the confidence to make him the top center replacement for injury, how can you not be confident in him being a #3C?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad