Line Combos: 2019-2020 Line/D Pairing discussions & proposals

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
Ritchie - Krejci - Kase
Debrusk - Coyle - Bjork
Nordstrom - Kuraly - Wagner (Lindholm and Kuhlman as extras)

Same D core and same goaltending

Ritchie and Kase apparently complemented each other really well together in their time in Anaheim so I'd like to see what they could do with a center like Krejci who has a history of playing well with big boys. As long as Ritchie stays disciplined, it's worth a shot for a couple games. I also am not a believer that Debrusk and Krejci work well together. I just think that 3rd line is perfect if the 2nd line meshes. 4th line is any jumble of 5 players. Definitely can try a few things in the mean time (maybe swap Bjork and Ritchie).
Not enough people are considering this, they played together a significant amount in Anaheim. DeBrusk and Krejci is such an on and off thing, and DeBrusk has shown chemistry with Coyle. Bigger winger for Krejci which has worked before, along with a guy with talent on the other side.

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
Not enough people are considering this, they played together a significant amount in Anaheim. DeBrusk and Krejci is such an on and off thing, and DeBrusk has shown chemistry with Coyle. Bigger winger for Krejci which has worked before, along with a guy with talent on the other side.

I also felt like Debrusk and Bjork had some chemistry a few years ago when they played with Krejci. I think Coyle would be a better center for them though

Reactions: TwineTickler

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I’d go DeBrusk - Coyle - Bjork as my second line and Ritchie - Krejci - Kase as my 3rd line.

To me, that is pretty much what they did last year in the playoffs. Coyle's line got the tougher defensive match-ups compared to the Krejci line, Cassidy didn't really trust the Krejci line defensively with either Kuhlman or Backes on RW, also I think why he was inflexible in trying either RWer on a different line as he relied on Line 1/4/3 as match-up lines in that order.

If he can find enough trust in Debrusk - Coyle - Bjork as he did Heinen - Coyle - Johansson then we can and should do the same this year.

Reactions: TwineTickler

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
The fact that Ritchie and Kase already have played together a bunch will make it much easier to work them into the lineup.

Yep. Krejci gets a power forward on his left and a Czech on his right. That seems tailor-made for him.

And Coyle has been so good these last 20 games, it gives him someone who can actually finish all the plays he and Bjork create.

It also spreads the "heavy" across two lines, instead of loading it up on one line.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Anybody notice that they used Coyle as the net front guy on then1st PP against Vancouver? Up until that game, they seemed determined for that net front guy to be a lefty. DeBrusk, Heinen, Mojo... all had time there. I like the idea of putting our strongest players together. I also like the idea of putting DeBrusk in more of a shooter’s role as the bumper or on the elbow of the second unit.

How will the PP look with the new additions?

Root

Feb 22, 2010
Not sure if this is being discussed anywhere but I'm getting the sense that Nordstrom is losing his spot on the fourth line. Nordstrom's been scratched, at Sweeney's presser he talked about Blidh getting his shot to play and Sweeney talked about the potential for players from Providence to come up and earn a spot down the stretch. Maybe Frederic gets a shot in that spot?

Just something I noticed, maybe it's nothing but interested to see what happens there.

Reactions: wintersej

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Not sure if this is being discussed anywhere but I'm getting the sense that Nordstrom is losing his spot on the fourth line. Nordstrom's been scratched, at Sweeney's presser he talked about Blidh getting his shot to play and Sweeney talked about the potential for players from Providence to come up and earn a spot down the stretch. Maybe Frederic gets a shot in that spot?

Just something I noticed, maybe it's nothing but interested to see what happens there.

None of Nordstrom, Lindstrom, or Blidh should have a spot on lock-down in this line-up. Even last year that LW spot wasn't Nordstrom's exclusively, Acciari-Kuraly-Wagner was a line together for a significant stretch.

Fopppa

Jan 3, 2009
None of Nordstrom, Lindstrom, or Blidh should have a spot on lock-down in this line-up. Even last year that LW spot wasn't Nordstrom's exclusively, Acciari-Kuraly-Wagner was a line together for a significant stretch.
Roster limits aren't a thing after the deadline so it's much easier to call up Providence guys for a few games here and there without having to knock someone down through waivers. Sure sounds like Don/Bruce plans to do some experimenting down the stretch.

Wiggleboom

Feb 6, 2010
Vancouver
I think the Bruins can effectively roll out 2 “2nd lines” with these trades. Coyle, Krejci, Debrusk and Kase (when healthy) are all top-6 players now (Krejci and Debrusk would be 1st liners on some teams). If Bjork continues to develop and Ritchie is decent, then lines 2 and 3 could be pretty equal in scoring ability depending on how the wingers are spread out.

Debrusk-Krejci-Bjork
Ritchie-Coyle-Kase

Reactions: LouJersey

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
Marshy-Bergy-Pasta
Debrusk-Krejci-Kase
Ritchie-Coyle-Bjork
Wagner-Frederic-Kuraly
Kuhlman/Nordstrom

The bottom 6 becomes a very heavy gritty team to play against.

Chara-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Gryzz-Lauzon
Moore/Clifton/Miller/Vaak

I really hope Miller can come back and play meaningful minutes in the playoffs. He's a nasty stay at home guy and would provide that Quaider type nastiness for the PK. Until then, roll with Lauzon and give Clifton some reps. Send Moore to Providence please. Can't believe he didn't get dealt.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Roster limits aren't a thing after the deadline so it's much easier to call up Providence guys for a few games here and there without having to knock someone down through waivers. Sure sounds like Don/Bruce plans to do some experimenting down the stretch.

Roster limits are removed but I believe that there are still limits to how many non-emergency call-ups you can make.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Remember they are only allowed 4 non emergency call ups after yesterday. I call up Frederic and Studnicka, send down Lindholm.
Give them both a shot and see what you have. Kuraly hasn't been anything special this year nor has Wagner.

I TRY these lines for a few games and see what happens, if it doesn't work try something new.

Marchand-Bergeron-Kase
Ritchie-Krejci-Pasta
DeBrusk-Coyle-Bjork
Frederic-Studnicka-Wagner.
Chara-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Lauzon-Grizz.

Kase has two great defensive forwards with him and you get to evaluate his offensive tools. Ritchie with Pasta might give other teams some pause before trying to rough him up in scrums and could extend the lineup so if the first line goes cold you have a second line with a potential 50 goal scorer on it. Coyle's line should cause match up nightmares. If Studnicka and Frederic play well you may get some offense out of them and both have done a great job killing penalties in Providence this year. Frederic add another tough forward as well.

Keep Moore and if Miller comes back put them in a rotation all the way through the D. Give all of them some rest to get ready for the playoffs.

Tampa is coming up twice next week, give Frederic and Studnicka a look in those games not vs Buffalo or Toronto, see if they can handle high pressure games and if they look able to compete in the playoffs. If not go back to Nordstron-Kuraly-Wagner but get some of the Providence guys some exposure and see if they can handle it.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

Nords will be in the starting line up come the playoffs. He was exceptional last cup run. Does so many things right.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I really like Ritchie with Krejci & Kase. The Debrusk, Bjork, and Coyle combo has worked this year very well when they have skated together. Krejci & Kase could be great together, and to have a big guy that can go to the net, and police for them would give us three very good lines IMO

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
That was last year. Different year, different roster.

With the depth the Bruins have this year, they shouldn't be married to any 4th line configuration.

Got it...I misread. If anything one could argue Kuraly and Wagner have been the weakest link this year. I'm hoping Blidh has an opportunity to show what he's got.

It's going to be a battle between the bottom 2 lines.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I really like Ritchie with Krejci & Kase. The Debrusk, Bjork, and Coyle combo has worked this year very well when they have skated together. Krejci & Kase could be great together, and to have a big guy that can go to the net, and police for them would give us three very good lines IMO
IMO this is something they should try out for a few regular season games at the very least. I'd start here since Kase & Ritchie are familiar with each other but it looks like Bruce is starting with 74-46-28

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
for me... lines end up

1/marchand/bergron/pastrnak
{the dont fix what aint broken principal}

2/debrusk/krejci/kase
{lets remember... krejci saves his best hockey for playoffs}

3/Ritchie/coyle/bjork
{could we see some studnicka in playoffs... coyle moves to rw?}

4/our cast of thousands here... just make sure we keep them all hungry for game action
{I could see federic getting some action if we draw Washington round III}

defense
1/krug/carlo
{was so impressed how krug elevated his game last playoffs... fighting for a contract I see him doing it again}

2/chara/McAvoy
{I see chara playing way less mins than McAvoy and grezlyck getting his chance to step up here}

3/Grzelyck/Lauzon/Clifton
{moore and maybe miller also play possibly which puts us 9 deep with quality nhl dmen}

this lineup is improved over last year when we went to the cup finals
this lineup is improved over this year when we are on pace for the presidents

obviously we need to stay healthy... get a fair share of the bounces and the calls
our goaltending will have to be at its normal best

what I see here is a cup team... Im jacked

and looking ahead to next year...
we should have nearly 20 million to sign
krug
debrusk
halak
grzelyck{instead of 8 dmen I see an elc forward taking this spot grze slips into moore's spot}
chara
bjork
and promote a replacement for Nordstrom

I think it will work... deal off moore so we dont have 8 dmen and 13 forwards frees up just enough wiggle room

7 mill for krug
bridge debrusk at 4.5
1 year halak at 3.5
1 mill to make up the difference between moore/and grzelycks new hit
Bjork takes a bridge at 1.5
kuhlman and blidh at around 1.5 between them
leaves us a couple mill to bring back chara and then have almost no extra room but it will be doable

we dont NEED to make a lot of changes in our roster this year to next

very likely... try to find a new home more moore so grze can stay
let Nordstrom walk and give his spot to Lindholm/blidh/kuhlman

sadly that does mean no room for senyshyn or zboril to stick around as both cant clear waivers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad