Prospect Info: 2020-2021 Coyotes Prospect General Discussion and Stats Weekly Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Hoefenmayer/67's are out. Schnarr/Storm going to the Memorial Cup.

Tendeck/Giants play Game 7 vs. Prince Albert tonight.

Reactions: lanky

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Ignorant hockey fan here:

What are the Coyotes expectations for Nick Merkley going forward? He seemed to be on a good path prior to injuries, but do you think he’s got legit top-6 or top-9 NHL upside, or does he seem like an NHL/AHL tweeter? And is he expected to be fully healthy or are the issues chronic/lingering?

Thanks

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Ignorant hockey fan here:

What are the Coyotes expectations for Nick Merkley going forward? He seemed to be on a good path prior to injuries, but do you think he’s got legit top-6 or top-9 NHL upside, or does he seem like an NHL/AHL tweeter? And is he expected to be fully healthy or are the issues chronic/lingering?

Thanks
He’s had 2 major injuries and has looked good at times in the A. Had a long stretch this year where he couldn’t score and fell behind Garland on the depth chart and Garland just signed a one-way. He’s still well thought of though. We had him in the teens his draft year and he’s a right shot on a team desperate for goals from the right side.

This is a pivotal year for him to grab a roster spot (not outside the realm of possibility but Garland’s one way doesn’t help) out of training camp or through a call-up. Failure to do so makes him expansion draft fodder.

Keep in mind we could be drafting a RW at 14. Caufield/Lavoie or we could trade down to grab Leason.

Merkley is available but his trade value is minimal. Better to roll the dice on this season.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He’s had 2 major injuries and has looked good at times in the A. Had a long stretch this year where he couldn’t score and fell behind Garland on the depth chart and Garland just signed a one-way. He’s still well thought of though. We had him in the teens his draft year and he’s a right shot on a team desperate for goals from the right side.

This is a pivotal year for him to grab a roster spot (not outside the realm of possibility but Garland’s one way doesn’t help) out of training camp or through a call-up. Failure to do so makes him expansion draft fodder.

Keep in mind we could be drafting a RW at 14. Caufield/Lavoie or we could trade down to grab Leason.

Merkley is available but his trade value is minimal. Better to roll the dice on this season.
Isn't this the first off-season where he is training and getting ready for training camp not recovering from injury? He is probably a bit behind in the development curve, but you are right, this year is pivotal for him.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Hoefenmayer/67's are out. Schnarr/Storm going to the Memorial Cup.

Tendeck/Giants play Game 7 vs. Prince Albert tonight.

As an Ottawa resident who takes in both lots of sens and 67's games i find it interesting that Hoefenmayer not Bahl is the player you reference when you talk about the 67's.

I can say with the utmost confidence that Bahl is the superior player and prospect, I think he is one of the most underated prospects in hockey. He is an absolute rock back there, plays in all situations, skates like the wind for a player his size and has an amazing first pass. He also has a mean streak, he reminds me of a bigger Marc Methot and that is a very good player. He was plus 50 last year, I cant wait to see how dominant he will be this season as a 19 year old and I fully expect him to be on team Canada at the WJC.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
As an Ottawa resident who takes in both lots of sens and 67's games i find it interesting that Hoefenmayer not Bahl is the player you reference when you talk about the 67's.

I can say with the utmost confidence that Bahl is the superior player and prospect, I think he is one of the most underated prospects in hockey. He is an absolute rock back there, plays in all situations, skates like the wind for a player his size and has an amazing first pass. He also has a mean streak, he reminds me of a bigger Marc Methot and that is a very good player. He was plus 50 last year, I cant wait to see how dominant he will be this season as a 19 year old and I fully expect him to be on team Canada at the WJC.

I've always coveted Marc Methot so hearing that Bahl is the same type of player makes me very excited for his development.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

Just finished watching Team USA Canada game where Bahl rocked Caufield with a everyday bodycheck. I like Bahl as a prospect. I do have some concerns about upside as you can tell he’s still adjusting to the increased speed of a stacked Team USA squad. There was one play where he elected to not give a hit to a team usA player in the corner and that allowed that player to get away and establish net front presence and 3 seconds later Bahl was screening goalie allowing a goal against from a point shot. I thought Bahl needed to be more physically assertive on that play. He’s raw and still has a ways to go. There is upside but I don’t think you can expect him in the NHL for at least 3 more seasons.

Reactions: Vinny Boombatz

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Just finished watching Team USA Canada game where Bahl rocked Caufield with a everyday bodycheck. I like Bahl as a prospect. I do have some concerns about upside as you can tell he’s still adjusting to the increased speed of a stacked Team USA squad. There was one play where he elected to not give a hit to a team usA player in the corner and that allowed that player to get away and establish net front presence and 3 seconds later Bahl was screening goalie allowing a goal against from a point shot. I thought Bahl needed to be more physically assertive on that play. He’s raw and still has a ways to go. There is upside but I don’t think you can expect him in the NHL for at least 3 more seasons.
Agreed it wont happen automatically, one more year in the OHL then 1.5 to 2 in the AHL and he starts playing games in the NHL at 21/22. Big players always take longer he took a big step in development this past season and I expect another one this year. He likely produces close to a PPG while being the best shut down d man in the OHL.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I doubt whether Bahl will be a PPG in the OHL...that would be a 'monumental' step this year. I'm expecting him to be approaching .75/ppg. He'll likely get to be more involved on the PP with Hoefenmayer gone. But I don't think he's a PPG dman.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
I doubt whether Bahl will be a PPG in the OHL...that would be a 'monumental' step this year. I'm expecting him to be approaching .75/ppg. He'll likely get to be more involved on the PP with Hoefenmayer gone. But I don't think he's a PPG dman.
As of right now I don't believe Hoefenmayer will be gone, he is still unsigned and is eligible to return for his OA year. As it sits right now Hoefenmayer and Keating are two prime candidates to return for the 67's as 20 year olds

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
As of right now I don't believe Hoefenmayer will be gone, he is still unsigned and is eligible to return for his OA year. As it sits right now Hoefenmayer and Keating are two prime candidates to return for the 67's as 20 year olds

and if that is the case, then I'd suspect Bahl's numbers to only slightly increase as Hoefenmayer is the catalyst for the 67s on the PP. Bahl plays a supporting role on the PP, Hoefenmayer moves up and down to the half wall a lot so he's got more opportunities to be involved in scoring plays. As long as he's there and roles don't change, I don't see a significant increase in Bahl's stats.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
As much as more points are great I just want Bahl to get quicker and more physically assertive. I want it to the point that coaches won’t put a 16 or 17 year old on the ice against him for fears of their safety.

Reactions: Mosby

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
As much as more points are great I just want Bahl to get quicker and more physically assertive. I want it to the point that coaches won’t put a 16 or 17 year old on the ice against him for fears of their safety.

I agree...I don't really see Bahl as someone who in time will score 50pts...I think he'll be a very physical force shutdown D who can score 30pts...he's got the size and skating ability to do just that and he's got good hockey IQ. He's a very good prospect.

Reactions: Heldig

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Shifty goals! Adding Ilves to my FlashScores app. (If you havent got similar, it's a handy tracker for sports results all over the world, found it particularly useful for keeping tabs on our junior prospects)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad