2019-2020 - Around the League (All non-Stars NHL Talk here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
There's a couple of teams that still will have to make moves before/when some of their injured guys come back to stay under the cap.

I feel like this year there's more teams that are cutting it really close with the salary cap to eke out the last possible cent than well i have in memory. So many teams really close to the cap now. Last couple of years there was allways a good contingent of teams with internal caps not close the full salary cap. Seems way less now .

Especially with how LTIR works if the injured guy comes back ( in Washingtons case also a suspended guy ). LTIR space you use for returning players IRC has to be made up .

Leafs , Pens , Caps from what i've seen will need to do things sooner or later .

Last edited:

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Leafs have a LOT of work to do to get under the cap. Jesus Christ.

serp

Jan 17, 2016

I mean with putting everything LTIR right now they're 10k or so under the cap. Dermott has the same caphit as Liljegren so obviously that fits . Where it gets really tricky is when Hyman and his 2.25 AAV is close to returning. Since the team is more or less completely absusing LTIR to just fit their current roster the Leafs won't be able to call up guys if smaller injuries hit and they also can't really make trade at the deadline without sending back equal money. They also have to make up the money they used while the made use of LTIR for the guys that come back to play . Dermott and Hyman. What exactly that means ? Maybe dressing less than 20 players in a game to not get penalized by the league.

Stars could do what the Leafs are doing right now and put the 7,1 Million of Hanzal and Johns on LTIR and aquire someone for that right now . It just wouldn't be smart. Not with the bonus structure some contracts have this year and it also would likely kill any deadline aquisitions.

Leafs are pretty much all in on that roster. If alot of small injuries hit them where players aren't put on LTIR they're screwed since they're already using it so much right the hell now.

Last edited:
Reactions: LatvianTwist

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
If my math is correct they are about 500k over right now with a 23man roster.
That's a paper transaction to the AHL. to clear that.
Not a lot of work.

Edit -
turns out i added a contract twice, they are just barely under the cap currently.
They're fine

serp

Jan 17, 2016
If my math is correct they are 500k over right now with a 23man roster.
That's a paper transaction to the AHL. to clear that.
Not a lot of work.

turns out i added a contract twice, they are just barely under the cap currently.
They're fine

Right now they are fine. They will not be fine when Dermott and especially when Hyman come back.

Reactions: LatvianTwist

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014

Right now they are fine. They will not be fine when Dermott and especially when Hyman come back.

Yeah but they can send Sandin to the AHL to Clear Dermotts return.
Hymen is a singular move. I'm not up to date on his injury but is it for sure he will be back?

Edit -
Shoulder surgery in April with 6month recovery time (estimated) call it Novemeber.

I'm sure they'll look into moving Nylander, or Ceci especially if Sandin/Liljegren do well.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Leafs are just playing it really risky by making so much use of LTIR this early. Its meant as a safety net when injuries hit and not as a tool to just spend over the cap like the Leafs are currently using. I mean sure they can do that. It just has significant downsides and can backfire massively.

This would be less of a problem if they managed to negotiate better contracts with their RFA's but oh well they didn't . They paid everybody in full and they're the only team that did basically.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
But how is he gonna score 30 points from the pressbox???

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Anybody who watched Spezza last year and knows Babcock a bit should not be suprised in the slightest by this. Spezza is not very good anymore and Babcock does not want skill play on the 4th line . He's also at a veteran minimum contract so 12th/13th forward is what had to be expected.

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I'm amazed how similar so many veteran oldschool coaches are in their mindset. Hitch did the same nonsense two years ago. Spezza on the PK is a desaster. Have him win a faceoff , ice the puck and leave the ice ASAP . Thats his only use on the PK .

Now with the new faceoff rules i don't even know if that even works all that well anymore either.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Yeah i think thats not going to be a fruitful relationship and it should suprise nobody. Babcock does what Babcock does.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

This is crazy

Also in other news Nate Schmidt just left the Golden Knights game with a knee injury and it does not look good for them

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Ho-Sang seems like a guy the Stars stay away from. Maybe if the NHL team had a need since its such a veteran teams but the Texas team is so young i don't think there's much interest in Ho-Sang who has shown himself to be a bit problematic .

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Stars need players who can't score goal. Ho-Sang has wierd defenseman like stat lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad