Prospect Info: 2019 #200 - Axel Bergkvist, D

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
We didn't spend a first and a second on him, so I guess we can't complain...

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
No, the thread title and the link in the OP are incorrect. We didn’t draft Alexander Bergqvist. We drafted Alex Bergkvist:

Axel Bergkvist at eliteprospects.com

He’s a fire hydrant D. The EP profile above shows him 5’9 176 but I’m pretty sure I read that he’s more like 5’9 200.

Eliteprospects says 5'9", 201 lbs. If he went to a small American HS they would make him the nose tackle. His BMI is 29.7, which is borderline obese, which just shows how useless BMI is for anyone with above average muscle mass.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Eliteprospects says 5'9", 201 lbs. If he went to a small American HS they would make him the nose tackle. His BMI is 29.7, which is borderline obese, which just shows how useless BMI is for anyone with above average muscle mass.
They updated that in the last day. Crazy. It was 176 yesterday.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
They updated that in the last day. Crazy. It was 176 yesterday.

176 makes more sense. 200 lbs on 5'9" frame is very dense. Will he be in prospect camp? Need to throw him on a scale.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
We can trade him to Donny and take advantage of his Rangers obsession.

Maybe for Jankowski or something ;)

Reactions: Mosby

SweLeafsFan

Jun 30, 2009
Sweden
He plays for my favorit team here in Sweden and I think he is worth the gamble in the 7th round. He impressed early on last season then the whole team started to struggle and he was sent to the junior team. Leksand really turned things around after Christmas and eventually got promoted to the SHL. If he stays in Sweden I expect he will get a fair chance to make the team for real this season but it will be really tough competition now that we play in the SHL. If he doesn't make the team I take for granted he will be sent on a loan to a team in Allsvenskan because he is too good to play junior hockey another season imo.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
He plays for my favorit team here in Sweden and I think he is worth the gamble in the 7th round. He impressed early on last season then the whole team started to struggle and he was sent to the junior team. Leksand really turned things around after Christmas and eventually got promoted to the SHL. If he stays in Sweden I expect he will get a fair chance to make the team for real this season but it will be really tough competition now that we play in the SHL. If he doesn't make the team I take for granted he will be sent on a loan to a team in Allsvenskan because he is too good to play junior hockey another season imo.

This is why I love hfboards, nowhere else do you get this type of insight on a 7th round draft pick. Thank you!

Reactions: Ebbisen and Mosby

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Officially signed with the Kitchener Rangers of the OHL today. Looking forward to seeing the fire hydrant in action this fall!

Reactions: rt

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
I’m from Kitchener and have watched 2 preseason games when he has played. The kid is going to have a great year in the OHL. Most imports take months to adjust but this kid has played great right from the start. His decision making our solid and makes great first hard passes out of the D zone. Plays the point on the PP really well for OHL especially for just learning the Rangers system. In the D zone he is actually very solid as well. Just knows where to be.

Most imports come over when they are 16 or 17 years old and he is 19. So it could be that I’m just used to import D just making a lot of mistakes (like the other kid on D who is 17 on Rangers). Rangers have a talented D core this year and I’d honestly say he is our 1 or 2 guy right now.

The 5’9” on D is what will hold this kid back but the way the nhl is going you never know. From what I saw in my 2 games I’d say this was a heck of a 7th round pick.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I’m from Kitchener and have watched 2 preseason games when he has played. The kid is going to have a great year in the OHL. Most imports take months to adjust but this kid has played great right from the start. His decision making our solid and makes great first hard passes out of the D zone. Plays the point on the PP really well for OHL especially for just learning the Rangers system. In the D zone he is actually very solid as well. Just knows where to be.

Most imports come over when they are 16 or 17 years old and he is 19. So it could be that I’m just used to import D just making a lot of mistakes (like the other kid on D who is 17 on Rangers). Rangers have a talented D core this year and I’d honestly say he is our 1 or 2 guy right now.

The 5’9” on D is what will hold this kid back but the way the nhl is going you never know. From what I saw in my 2 games I’d say this was a heck of a 7th round pick.
Post often on how he’s doing. This was great.

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
He really did struggle at the beginning but I feel head coach McKee really had a tight leash on him to do anything creative. Since McKee was fired all the Rangers D are playing with some offensive and really looking much better. He has taking back the role of PP1 QB and looking more comfortable every game being that guy. He has an extremely hard wrist shot that I’m sure he would like to start using more. The 2nd half of the season he could be one of the top point producing Dman which I expected coming into the season.

Defensively he is above average as well for the OHL. Can’t say what I think he could do at a higher level but he is doing great at this level right now.

txw

Feb 2, 2018

Fellow Kitchener person, thank you for validating my thoughts of this kid potentially being a diamond in the rough.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
update: on a 9 game points streak, 2 goals, 12 assists, 14 points | +13 with 18 sog and 8 penalty minutes
(last 5 games: 1 goal, 5 assists)

Considering he had 2 points in his first ten, 26 in 26 is impressive. Also impressively bad coaching from the guy that came before.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad