Transfer: 2019-20 Winter Transfer News, Rumors, and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Bild is saying Goetze is open to staying, but only if Favre leaves.

Quite positive news, actually. Favre wont be here after the season, so maybe we’ll be able to extend Goetze sometime in the late Spring.
He can just link back up with Klopp. Would be a fine addition.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I see your United + Sharks fan and raise you United + Leafs fan

I've been a United fan since around 1991 or -92 and my favorite hockey team was Helsinki Jokerit (also starting from 1991) until they moved to KHL which I couldn't care two shits about. So yeah...

On topic, I guess Matic could be off to Spurs in January and United fans can stop fantasizing about Bruno Fernandes:

But unlike what he has done in previous experiences, the 'new' Mourinho will bet on young players. Plataforma knows the Special One wants to sign a few experienced footballers, such as Manchester United's Matic. But the focus will be on young players, such as Sporting Lisbon's Bruno Fernandes (which Tottenham tried to sign before) and SL Benfica's central defender Rúben Dias.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I don't really believe the Matic thing. Dier will be his Matic.

But yeah, chances are Fernandes is coming in.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Emre Can to Dortmund is gaining some traction. He’ll be cheap, but there’s not much difference between him and Delaney. I guess we could move Delaney in the summer, if we bring in Can.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
This is for the summer, but Liverpool have been linked to Brighton CB (on loan at Leeds) Ben White but Leeds best writer. White did a great Matip impression today.
Think Liverpool will need to get another CB this summer because Van Den Berg is not going to be ready to contribute at that level yet.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Matic haha. I guess it could happen if he comes on a free. Can´t be worse than Dier yesterday.

Will be interesting to see how Mourinho wants to line up longer term. If Alli plays centrally then where would Fernandes play? Already got Lo Celso and for the time being Eriksen. I think Mourinho would rather bring in someone closer to Son and Lucas in style. Could do both I guess as I can´t see Lamela staying and with Eriksen gone there is space for both Fernandes and a Son/Lucas type of player.

Can´t see much happening in January, but Matic and Fernandes could happen. Especially if Eriksen for some reason gets sold to Utd.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Spurs could absolutely use a holding midfielder, but I am not convinced by the Matic rumour. Strikes me as very fabricated.

I'm just sick and tired seeing Harry Winks shoehorned into that role, when he is so much, much more effective as a box-to-box player. I'd ask for a transfer if I were him.

Eric Dier seems like the ideal choice for a holding midfielder, but seeing him yesterday constantly running up the pitch aimlessly like an absolute buffoon, when he is neither mobile or good in the final third, forcing Winks to cover him, really f***ing pissed me off. If he keeps it up I might smash my television in the near future.

Please change it up Jose.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I remember when Dier first came in to the team. Screened the CDs brilliantly. Played it simple. Added some needed quality in the air both defensively and offensively.

Then his crap spell as a CD.

Now he is quite useless at everything. Never seen a young DM completely lose it like that before. Usually a position players grow into.

Jose likes his DMs. I don't mind seeing if he can fix Dier over the next months. Bring in a new in the summer. Someone not being Matic if Dier keeps on like this.

To Diers defence he clearly isn't fit enough to play. Even if he runs up and down the pitch a lot he just isn't fresh enough to make good decisions. Long through balls with his left foot. Just ridiculous.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Sancho's camp is putting out the news that he wants to move in the summer. They clearly sold an anti-Dortmund story to Ornstein that he published today.

It's going to cost at least 100M, and he'll be replaced, just like Dembele and Pulisic were. The system allows players like Sancho to have success, so we'll find a good replacement. As long as he can behave himself the rest of the season, there shouldn't be any further issues. His form this season has been hit or miss. Great to start the season, has struggled a lot in the last month or two. He can still contribute because he's very good, but he's not been as consistent as I would've liked this season.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Just gonna chuck out there that Chelsea will have two years of transfer funds saved up and Tammy Abraham and Jadon Sancho have been close friends since they were like 6 years old.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Ornstein said it’s Liverpool, United, Barca and Real right now.

Real probably won’t happen, unless they get neither of the PSG players. Even then, they have so many wingers. Doesn’t make any sense. United probably won’t happen, unless they qualify for the UCL.

I think it’s Liverpool or Barcelona. It might seem obvious that Liverpool is the front runner of those four, but I wouldn’t rule out Barcelona. I’ve read his camp say before that the big Spanish clubs are definitely an option. Barcelona could use another winger for next season. Liverpool runs into the problem of not being able to guarantee Sancho a starting place. He might not get a guaranteed place at Barcelona either, but Barcelona is the bigger club, so they have that built in advantage.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Ornstein said it’s Liverpool, United, Barca and Real right now.

Real probably won’t happen, unless they get neither of the PSG players. Even then, they have so many wingers. Doesn’t make any sense. United probably won’t happen, unless they qualify for the UCL.

I think it’s Liverpool or Barcelona. It might seem obvious that Liverpool is the front runner of those four, but I wouldn’t rule out Barcelona. I’ve read his camp say before that the big Spanish clubs are definitely an option. Barcelona could use another winger for next season. Liverpool runs into the problem of not being able to guarantee Sancho a starting place. He might not get a guaranteed place at Barcelona either, but Barcelona is the bigger club, so they have that built in advantage.

United's only hope is that they'll probably offer him 50k a week more than he's worth. But he'd also be stupid to pick us over Liverpool; even though he wouldn't be a guaranteed starter there.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
There is just no way having Salah, Mane and Sancho makes any sense. It sounds good rotating them, but when does it ever work? Utd makes a lot more sense.

Not that long ago Liverpool ended up 8th. Obviously it could change quite quickly for Utd as well.

A shame Spurs messed things up. Son - Kane - Sancho would be something.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
There is just no way having Salah, Mane and Sancho makes any sense. It sounds good rotating them, but when does it ever work? Utd makes a lot more sense.

Not that long ago Liverpool ended up 8th. Obviously it could change quite quickly for Utd as well.

There is plenty of ifs...

1) If one of Salah/Mane/Firmino is sold
2) If they change formation and start Sancho
3) If Sancho accept his role as a rotational option (and possibly start) if one player
4) If Liverpool play him more than everyone (less likely scenario)
5)If he wants to compete in the CL.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think Sancho would rather stay another season than go to United. I think they are “an option” to drive up the price.

I doubt the kid is going to force a move to leave for the sake of it. He’s a lot more well-behaved than Dembele and Aubameyang were. I don’t think he’s in such dire need to leave to play outside the Champions League next season.

That article was extremely bogus with fake outrage. It looked more than anything like a way for his camp to lay the groundwork in the media that his preference to leave is next summer, which we all speculated anyway.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland

United makes sense if he's looking to cash checks and be on billboard advertising. I would suggest he probably can do the same with Liverpool, Chelsea or otherwise at this point, but an extra 50-100k a week probably would help things.

Sure, it can change quite a bit. But I think having a manager like Klopp, along with talent around him, makes many players feel that their fortunes should be on the upswing. Especially when you consider two CL finals in a row. As for how it works tactically, that's a big question. I think he's more able to play in the right of a midfield than expected, while also offering some cover up front. You really never know how players are going to end up with Liverpool. He's made Gini a do it all midfielder, where he might have been more of an attacker prior. I think position matters less to Klopp than you think. Players interchange and swap all over the place. It would also give them tactical flexibility to play Mane or Salah centrally, and then rest Firmino if need be.

Does Spurs really have the money? I know they're in a new stadium, but after this summer's spending, along with potentially some struggles in the league (and paying Poch to walk) is the budget there for a 100 million+ purchase?

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
There is plenty of ifs...

1) If one of Salah/Mane/Firmino is sold
2) If they change formation and start Sancho
3) If Sancho accept his role as a rotational option (and possibly start) if one player
4) If Liverpool play him more than everyone (less likely scenario)
5)If he wants to compete in the CL.

Absolutely.

1) agree. At some point the "magic 3" will lose some of their magic - happens to everyone at some point.
2) don't see that happening as Klopp has been successful partly because he hasn't gone Pochettino trying out a million different formations.
3) he could, but would you get the best out of him? Very often quite different to play a supporting role for those kind of players.
4) not happening unless Sancho suddenly is the best player in the league.
5) next year. Quite impossible to plan for which team in England will forever compete in the CL. Liverpool won't stay the best team for years and years. More likely that Utd will be the more successful team over the next 10 years. In the summer of 2016 few would have predicted Liverpool to become as good as they have.

Obviously Liverpool got a shot at Sancho, but I don't find it to be the most likely destination. Only if there is truth to the rumblings that Salah might want to find something new come summer. Then Sancho would be almost a given replacement (assuming he can keep it up).

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
United makes sense if he's looking to cash checks and be on billboard advertising. I would suggest he probably can do the same with Liverpool, Chelsea or otherwise at this point, but an extra 50-100k a week probably would help things.

Sure, it can change quite a bit. But I think having a manager like Klopp, along with talent around him, makes many players feel that their fortunes should be on the upswing. Especially when you consider two CL finals in a row. As for how it works tactically, that's a big question. I think he's more able to play in the right of a midfield than expected, while also offering some cover up front. You really never know how players are going to end up with Liverpool. He's made Gini a do it all midfielder, where he might have been more of an attacker prior. I think position matters less to Klopp than you think. Players interchange and swap all over the place. It would also give them tactical flexibility to play Mane or Salah centrally, and then rest Firmino if need be.

Does Spurs really have the money? I know they're in a new stadium, but after this summer's spending, along with potentially some struggles in the league (and paying Poch to walk) is the budget there for a 100 million+ purchase?

I guess I answered JeffreyLFC at the same time as you wrote this. So the first part I more less answered to him.

Difficult to say. The club is very coy about naming rights. Some rumours indicating they might get a monster deal with somebody. If so buying Sancho wouldn't be a problem financially (all depending on how desperate a team like Liverpool would be in a bidding war). It also depends on what will happen with Eriksen i January. If Utd bring him in for 50m to block a continental team that would obviously help Spurs funding Sancho (not saying that is likely, but not out of the question).

But why would you choose Spurs? Most likely no CL short term and then Utd is obviously the bigger club. London helps, but I don't see a realistic scenario where Sancho ends up at Spurs even if they got the money. They would have to outbid the rest then - also very unlikely.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I think suggesting that United would be better over the next 10 years is a bit of a stretch. Admittedly, teams do rise and fall, but at minimum, Klopp has another 2 seasons on his deal (maybe 3, it's slightly unclear). While I don't expect him to continue after that (honestly, there's something to suggest he might be done after next no matter what), I think the transition to either Gerrard or Xabi, or even Lijnders (who I think Klopp is grooming) would be feasible. It's never easy, but he won't be leaving the roster barren.

As long as Edwards is there, they've got a significant leg up on United as things presently stand, even with all of those financial resources. Liverpool's roster, while aging, does have a lot of younger players who could see them into 4-5 years from now.

In three years, yeah, Salah, Firmino and Mane probably have moved on. But you could rationally see a club with a core of TAA (21), Robertson (25), Keita (24), Alisson (27), Fabinho (26) and Gomez (22). If you added Salah, and maybe say Ox, or even Virgil sticking around, that's a good stepping stone. Peak for most players is in that 25/26-29 range anyhow. Are they winning titles? No, probably not. But you probably have a spine to build from, and can move forward. I think the club is clearly aware that they have to freshen up the front line sooner rather than later. Sancho coming in makes them a dynamic club for the next 5-6 seasons, and solves a lot of that transition period. They've got a few kids who they think might be able to play at some point (Elliott, Hoever), but honestly, they do need to find an early 20s attacking player to rely on as they see some of the attacking three move on or fade a bit. I think that's why you'll see a younger attacker come in this summer. Whether that's Sancho, Werner or whomever.

Now, what will that all look like at the end of the 10? I do agree that they're going to need a complete overhaul before that. they'll certainly dip before that point, but what they can accomplish in the next two or three seasons should outweigh anything that United can do in the back end of the 10 (when they honestly should have gone through the complete rebuild).

But lets be fair. United isn't winning the CL in the next 3-4 seasons. They're probably not winning the EPL in the next 3-4 years. They're probably not even challenging for either for another 3-4. Liverpool should honestly have a shot at winning the EPL this season, and then maybe a CL final or chance of one in the next two seasons. It's an interesting discussion for sure.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
How is Utd further away from winning the CL now then Liverpool were in 2016? Obviously the fairly miraculous improvement seen from Liverpool isn't likely to happen with Utd - agree, but not any more unlikely than what Liverpool did.

Not trying to bring Liverpool down here. What they have done since around 2016 has been so so impressive, but who would have expected Pochettino to completely run out of gas like this? In the summer of 2017 Spurs ended up 10 points ahead of Liverpool. The core consiting of Lloris, Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Rose, Walker, Dier, Alli, Eriksen, Dembele (he only started 26 games in the league),Son and Kane. Obviously Vertonghen and Alderweireld are getting older, but still not that old for a CD. The core is still intact at Spurs and players like Dier, Alli, Eriksen, Son and Kane are in an age where you expect them to be better now (or at least as good) than in 2017. Fair to say that never happened.

Regression to mean kind of thing. Liverpool won't go on like this. The same Barcelona where never able to continue like they did 10 years ago. I think most players understand this. One thing is if Harry Kane leaves this summer - he has only so many years left - but for Sancho Utd shouldn't be a worse alternative than Liverpool - I would argue the opposite.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I think suggesting that United would be better over the next 10 years is a bit of a stretch. Admittedly, teams do rise and fall, but at minimum, Klopp has another 2 seasons on his deal (maybe 3, it's slightly unclear). While I don't expect him to continue after that (honestly, there's something to suggest he might be done after next no matter what), I think the transition to either Gerrard or Xabi, or even Lijnders (who I think Klopp is grooming) would be feasible. It's never easy, but he won't be leaving the roster barren.

As long as Edwards is there, they've got a significant leg up on United as things presently stand, even with all of those financial resources. Liverpool's roster, while aging, does have a lot of younger players who could see them into 4-5 years from now.

In three years, yeah, Salah, Firmino and Mane probably have moved on. But you could rationally see a club with a core of TAA (21), Robertson (25), Keita (24), Alisson (27), Fabinho (26) and Gomez (22). If you added Salah, and maybe say Ox, or even Virgil sticking around, that's a good stepping stone. Peak for most players is in that 25/26-29 range anyhow. Are they winning titles? No, probably not. But you probably have a spine to build from, and can move forward. I think the club is clearly aware that they have to freshen up the front line sooner rather than later. Sancho coming in makes them a dynamic club for the next 5-6 seasons, and solves a lot of that transition period. They've got a few kids who they think might be able to play at some point (Elliott, Hoever), but honestly, they do need to find an early 20s attacking player to rely on as they see some of the attacking three move on or fade a bit. I think that's why you'll see a younger attacker come in this summer. Whether that's Sancho, Werner or whomever.

Now, what will that all look like at the end of the 10? I do agree that they're going to need a complete overhaul before that. they'll certainly dip before that point, but what they can accomplish in the next two or three seasons should outweigh anything that United can do in the back end of the 10 (when they honestly should have gone through the complete rebuild).

But lets be fair. United isn't winning the CL in the next 3-4 seasons. They're probably not winning the EPL in the next 3-4 years. They're probably not even challenging for either for another 3-4. Liverpool should honestly have a shot at winning the EPL this season, and then maybe a CL final or chance of one in the next two seasons. It's an interesting discussion for sure.

3-4 years is a long time to say a team isn't going to be competitive, especially one with the resources of United.

3-4 years ago Liverpool was just sacking Rodgers en route to finishing 8th in the league with Sturridge being their top goal scorer in all comps with 13 goals.

Since then they've replaced basically every one in their starting XI. The only players even left on the roster since then (that are contributing in any manner) are Lovren, Gomez, Milner, Henderson, Lallana, Firmino, and Origi. If, at the end of the 14-15 season (finishing 6th, Gerrard highest scorer in his last year) or the very start of the 15-16 season you would have polled people to ask the odds of Liverpool making a CL final in 3 years and winning the CL in 4 seasons you'd have got virtually no one say it's remotely likely. Probably about the same low number of people would think a 97 point season was only a few short years away too. At that point their only trophy in a decade was the league cup in 2012 and their only time above 6th was the run in 13-14 to 2nd.

That's not to say United are guaranteed to be competitive, and I also disagree that it's a given United will be better over a 10 year stretch, but it does show that team can turn things around very quickly when they bring in the right people and commit to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->