Transfer: 2019-20 Winter Transfer News, Rumors, and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Bournemouth has interest in a loan with an obligation to buy for Bruun-Larsen. The price being talked about in the media is 15M. Thats now Frankfurt and Bournemouth that have been rumored. I hope he goes in this window. He's clearly not Dortmund quality.

Alcacer was left out of the squad for performance reasons today. I think he wants out. He's been rumored to sign in this window with Valencia and Sevilla. I wouldn't sell him. He's definitely good enough to make the squad, and there's no need to get rid of him immediately, in case we need another striker.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I signed him for an MLS team in FIFA. I know irrelevant entirely but I thought you’d get a kick out of it. :laugh:

TRIGGERED.

Obviously not done yet so we'll see, but I'd be shocked if we get him. On the one hand for the rumored fee I think he's good value. On the other he left the club back in the day so I'm not too chuffed on paying to bring him back. I know I've said I wanted us to buy him, but after seeing some of the players leaving the past year and knowing we still have guys like Alena, Puig, Moriba, etc waiting in the wings I'd rather see them get their chance. And I'm applying this to Guardiola as well. City keeps going after some of the La Masia boys when they turn 16 (they can offer contracts we can't) so he can stay there and enjoy them.

Those guys do deserve a chance however, it should be at the expense of buys such as Vidal, Paulinho, Coutinho. Not smart frugal buys such as Olmo.

The birthday boy can do whatever he likes. But I doubt he's the one calling the shots on these youth players considering he will be long gone before they make it to the first team. EPL have been poaching La Masia players for decades offering them contracts at 16 when Barca cant. This isn't a pep issue but rather a weakness laws. Maybe, this Brexit thing isn't all that bad.

Reactions: Gecklund

Internazionale

Apr 24, 2007
Airdrie, AB
Doesnt appear he will move this month due to FFP issues with Milan and some agent fees (something similar to the Haaland transfer)

Croatian media reporting that Leipzig and Leverkusen could be interested but I doubt they pay the 30m which is now the asking price from Dinamo

Milan are only willing to pay 20M for him. He's really better off going somewhere else. AC is a hot mess right now.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Some random rumors today that United might back out of the Fernandes deal if Sporting don't lower their demands by 15-20m.

Sounds like Sporting want 65m euro + 15m addons, United are looking at closer to 50+10-15m addons.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Some random rumors today that United might back out of the Fernandes deal if Sporting don't lower their demands by 15-20m.

Sounds like Sporting want 65m euro + 15m addons, United are looking at closer to 50+10-15m addons.
Honestly don’t understand United at all. Just give them the damn money. You make so much damn money every season and refuse to pay for a player that would immediately upgrade our team.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Honestly don’t understand United at all. Just give them the damn money. You make so much damn money every season and refuse to pay for a player that would immediately upgrade our team.
They did the last thing with Maguire last summer trying to pinch pennies, only to make him the record signing anyways.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Manchester United: We can't get taken advantage of in the transfer market and over pay for playeers

Also Manchester United: WoRlD ReCoRd FeE for MaGuIrE.

Reactions: hatterson

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
OGS apparently confirmed post-match they're considering buying a "short term cover striker". Just bring The Party to OT!

Good thing they’re considering the purchase of a player at a position everyone knew they’ve been thin at the entire season. Glad the big wigs are so on top of everything.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Manchester United: We can't get taken advantage of in the transfer market and over pay for playeers

Also Manchester United: WoRlD ReCoRd FeE for MaGuIrE.

We can throw Wan-Bissaka on this pile too even though this may be unpopular. His lack of ability going forward hurts Manchester United a lot and leads to the events becoming unbalanced. He's good defensively but the cost of that is that they have nothing coming from that side going forward and they can't retain the ball all that much either.

He would be a great RB 15 years ago, but the game has changed a lot in that time.

Nothing's going to change until Woodward is completely sacked off. He has to be completely gotten rid of and I feel like the lack of a sporting director is directly related to the fact that he won't leave. Like I said during the summer, there are a lot of people who can negotiate commercial deals, but nobody like him is capable of running a football club on the pitch. Every team that's tried it has failed.

Reactions: Chimaera

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

Feels like some of the chances Liverpool pulled wide are undervalued and Periera’s is overvalued.

I’d say something closer to 2.8 - 1.1 is a little closer to accurate.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
We can throw Wan-Bissaka on this pile too even though this may be unpopular. His lack of ability going forward hurts Manchester United a lot and leads to the events becoming unbalanced. He's good defensively but the cost of that is that they have nothing coming from that side going forward and they can't retain the ball all that much either.

He would be a great RB 15 years ago, but the game has changed a lot in that time.

Nothing's going to change until Woodward is completely sacked off. He has to be completely gotten rid of and I feel like the lack of a sporting director is directly related to the fact that he won't leave. Like I said during the summer, there are a lot of people who can negotiate commercial deals, but nobody like him is capable of running a football club on the pitch. Every team that's tried it has failed.

I don’t know. I think a manager worth a damn could make an elite team with AWB at RB. Yeah he’s not great going forward but there’s few in world football better than him defensively. You could almost play a hybrid 3 back with him and just have a LB that attacks all game. But that’s also why getting a RW has been so integral because we have no attacking threat from that side except for when Greenwood plays.

I mean AWB definitely isn’t a bad buy or a waste of money like Maguire. AWB is at least an elite shutdown wing back. Maguire is just above average all around.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I don’t know. I think a manager worth a damn could make an elite team with AWB at RB. Yeah he’s not great going forward but there’s few in world football better than him defensively. You could almost play a hybrid 3 back with him and just have a LB that attacks all game. But that’s also why getting a RW has been so integral because we have no attacking threat from that side except for when Greenwood plays.

I mean AWB definitely isn’t a bad buy or a waste of money like Maguire. AWB is at least an elite shutdown wing back. Maguire is just above average all around.

He is a class player and I'm not disputing that, but I'm very much uncertain as to whether or not a manager could have a great team with him at RB. He cost so much that I think that should be the expectation of him. Now, that being said, I think he might be more effective at CB and I'm surprised nobody's done that yet. He isn't tall for the position but he has great athletic ability to make up for that.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

AWB is Nathaniel Clyne. Maguire is Skrtel. I watch Utd and it’s like a time machine of all the mediocre LFC players that I tried to convince myself were better than they were.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
AWB is Nathaniel Clyne. Maguire is Skrtel. I watch Utd and it’s like a time machine of all the mediocre LFC players that I tried to convince myself were better than they were.

AWB is more like when Ivanovic played RB, and when I watch him that's all I can think of. But again, it is so hard to win with a team like that in 2020. Now that most teams are geared towards attacking football, the margins of what a defense first right back can get away with are very slim.

Skrtel was actually good when Benitez was the manager.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
He is a class player and I'm not disputing that, but I'm very much uncertain as to whether or not a manager could have a great team with him at RB. He cost so much that I think that should be the expectation of him. Now, that being said, I think he might be more effective at CB and I'm surprised nobody's done that yet. He isn't tall for the position but he has great athletic ability to make up for that.

AWB would be a great fit for an outside CB in 3 back formation I would think. I mean he’s still young so there could be some development offensively from him, but it’s obvious that he’s never going to be an offensive threat like a Trent, Alves, or Marcelo.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
You can still have a great team with a guy like AWB at RB. Chelsea have done it for years with Ivanovic and Azpilicueta.

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England

This. Woodward is going nowhere while the Glazer's own the club unfortunately. Unless Woodward sees the light and gives up power on the football side, United will be stuck where they are or worse. Mentioned in another thread that a guy called Matt Judge is involved in transfer/contract negotiations.

How Matt Judge became Manchester United's chief transfer negotiator

Judge is another with no football background. Judge, Woodward and another director called Richard Arnold all Bristol University alumni.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
AWB is more like when Ivanovic played RB, and when I watch him that's all I can think of. But again, it is so hard to win with a team like that in 2020. Now that most teams are geared towards attacking football, the margins of what a defense first right back can get away with are very slim.

Skrtel was actually good when Benitez was the manager.
I can’t get the Clyne/AWB pairing out of my head. Similar size. Both Crystal Palace trained, both don’t offer any consistent offense. It’s a bandaid player. Him and Maguire are both mid table players that got overpaid because they are English and now United is locked into them. They should both be on like Everton.

and these OGS interview/press conferences, giving me Roy Hodgson at LFC vibes. Delusional and not matching the club ethos at all. It’s scary.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
You can still have a great team with a guy like AWB at RB. Chelsea have done it for years with Ivanovic and Azpilicueta.
You need a certain manager/play style to pull that off. If United want to play positive, if they want to play a high line. AWB and Maguire are problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad