2019-20 Vezina thread

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Ill post what I posted in the Vasi Vezina thread

There are a lot of crazy goalie stories this year that make it really tough to make out a clear frontrunner. The safe bets are probably on Vasi and Bishop, who are playing well on their own behind elite defensive play, but there are a lot of other novel contenders as well.

Elvis is putting up one of the most absurd statlines I've seen in years coming into the league, Jarry is taking over in Pitt, Samsonov and Shets are stepping in and dominating. It honestly is gonna come down to who has the best last stretch of the year imo. If Vasi keeps playing like he has since the new year it's probably his, but Markstrom honestly deserves Hart consideration, let alone Vezina consideration, if he drags the defensively horrendous Canucks into a divisional title.

No clear frontrunner yet imo, really depends on who has the best stretch over these last 20 games to add to their resume. My top 5 atm probably looks like

Vasi
Bishop
Markstrom
Jarry
Merzlikins (?)

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
Ill post what I posted in the Vasi Vezina thread

There are a lot of crazy goalie stories this year that make it really tough to make out a clear frontrunner. The safe bets are probably on Vasi and Bishop, who are playing well on their own behind elite defensive play, but there are a lot of other novel contenders as well.

Elvis is putting up one of the most absurd statlines I've seen in years coming into the league, Jarry is taking over in Pitt, Samsonov and Shets are stepping in and dominating. It honestly is gonna come down to who has the best last stretch of the year imo. If Vasi keeps playing like he has since the new year it's probably his, but Markstrom honestly deserves Hart consideration, let alone Vezina consideration, if he drags the defensively horrendous Canucks into a divisional title.

No clear frontrunner yet imo, really depends on who has the best stretch over these last 20 games to add to their resume. My top 5 atm probably looks like

Vasi
Bishop
Markstrom
Jarry
Merzlikins (?)

Vezina voters love the "wins" stat.
1) Last 10 Vezina winners were or "wins" leaders or close to the leader.
2) Among last 5 Vezina winners 3 were "wins" leaders. Other 2 were no more than 2 wins behind the leader.
3) The worst "wins" stat winner was in 2013-2014: Rusk won Vezina with 5 less wins than Varlamov

So, we can safely exclude everyone who has less than 31 - 5 = 26 wins. Well, there are no other goalie with 26+ wins. Which means that Vasy has no competition as of now.

Last edited:
Reactions: pi314

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Hellebuyck, Lehner, Rask.

The actual voting will probably go like Hellebuyck, Vasilevskiy, Markstrom, Bishop.

Either way, Hellebuyck should run away with it.

Reactions: AngryMoose

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Of the ~16 goalies that have played 35 or more games at this point of the season, the save percentages go Bishop (.924), Vasi (.921) and Helley (.919). Bishop is lowest in GP of that group (I think 7 or 8 fewer than Vasi, who has 3 fewer than Helley).

How the GMs come down on this? No clue. I'd bet based on past indicators those three are the top 3 though (assuming nothing significant changes as in injury/completely fall off a cliff).

Reactions: Howe Elbows 9

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
I know the Jets don't get anywhere near the media coverage of the eastern teams and people primarily see only highlights versus actual flow of game. The goalies that play the quietest and most solid are the guys who don't end up being spectacular as often. That's the boat that Hellebuyck is in. The guy is playing out of his mind this season. He is hands down the biggest reason the Jets are even sniffing around for a wildcard spot. The defense in front of him is abysmal yet he just goes about his business night in and night out and gives his team a chance to win. His .919 right now is amazing considering the dangerous chances other teams get around his net. This isn't discounting what other guys like Bishop and Vasi are doing this year, but I really think that Helle has been the best and most consistent of the bunch this year.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Of the ~16 goalies that have played 35 or more games at this point of the season, the save percentages go Bishop (.924), Vasi (.921) and Helley (.919). Bishop is lowest in GP of that group (I think 7 or 8 fewer than Vasi, who has 3 fewer than Helley).

How the GMs come down on this? No clue. I'd bet based on past indicators those three are the top 3 though (assuming nothing significant changes as in injury/completely fall off a cliff).

Rask has played 33 games I think he would be considered. He'll likely be just around 50 to end the season and he's got the best stats in the league.

Reactions: Alicat

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Rask has played 33 games I think he would be considered. He'll likely be just around 50 to end the season and he's got the best stats in the league.
He might - but 50 games is pretty low when you're probably going to have a couple of guys close to 60.

Who knows though - this shit is voodoo. He's clearly been one of the best goalies this season. I'd like it if Bish won though - the dude has probably been robbed of at least one if not two Vezinas.

Reactions: More 2004

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
He might - but 50 games is pretty low when you're probably going to have a couple of guys close to 60.

Who knows though - this **** is voodoo. He's clearly been one of the best goalies this season. I'd like it if Bish won though - the dude has probably been robbed of at least one if not two Vezinas.

I think overall goalies arent playing as many games. Teams are realizing how important having a good backup is to handle 35 or so games. I think teams are realizing if you ride your goalie into the ground during the regular season they're less likely to have a strong playoff run. It's not surprising that Rask's insane playoff runs were last year when he only played like 50 games and in 2013 during the shortened season.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Vasilevsky will win a bunch of Vezina trophies because he is an elite goalie on the best regular season team in the business. Doesnt mean he is the best goalie.

Guy wouldnt be winning a Vezina playing for New Jersey right now, that's for sure.

Vasilevsky is the best goalie of goalies on great teams.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I think overall goalies arent playing as many games. Teams are realizing how important having a good backup is to handle 35 or so games. I think teams are realizing if you ride your goalie into the ground during the regular season they're less likely to have a strong playoff run. It's not surprising that Rask's insane playoff runs were last year when he only played like 50 games and in 2013 during the shortened season.
Don't disagree with you at all - I'd much prefer capping Vasi's workload at 55 and having ~30 from McBackup to 60 and 20. Some teams it's not an option (for instance - Helleybuck pretty much *has* to start just to get to the playoffs). Some of it is coaching and players - the #1 has to buy in to a platoon workload I think for it to work. Cassidy is a great coach and I think he can get guys to buy in to stuff like that.

But at the end of the day, the Vezina is a regular season award, so while something might be better *for the team*, it is generally more impressive to sustain high performance over more games than it is to do it over fewer. It's the same if you rest skaters - can't win the Art Ross even if your PPG is higher if you only play 74 games, even if it is better for the team in the long run.

Reactions: b in vancouver

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Don't disagree with you at all - I'd much prefer capping Vasi's workload at 55 and having ~30 from McBackup to 60 and 20. Some teams it's not an option (for instance - Helleybuck pretty much *has* to start just to get to the playoffs). Some of it is coaching and players - the #1 has to buy in to a platoon workload I think for it to work. Cassidy is a great coach and I think he can get guys to buy in to stuff like that.

But at the end of the day, the Vezina is a regular season award, so while something might be better *for the team*, it is generally more impressive to sustain high performance over more games than it is to do it over fewer. It's the same if you rest skaters - can't win the Art Ross even if your PPG is higher if you only play 74 games, even if it is better for the team in the long run.

I agree with all of this. I think Rask will get enough games to get a nomination (if he keeps up his numbers) but lack of games played will keep him from winning even though he's been the best goaltender this season IMO. If the Jets make the playoffs I feel like Helleybuck should get a nod for the Hart at this point.

As more and more teams turn more towards a 55/30ish split it will be interesting to see how Vezina voting follows. Will guys who play a ton of games but put up above average stats be favored over guys with less games but great stats?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad