2019-20 Utica Comets

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaputonyou

Oct 17, 2019
Personally, I thought his crazy acrobatic moves coupled with his 6' frame could spell trouble. What Mike DiPietro has going for him, is he has a huge work ethic and has played in big games both in championships and internationally. The Canucks are so lucky to have Markstrom, Demko and DiPietro all in their organization.

I wasn’t sure how Mikey was going to adjust the AHL but pleasantly surprised so far.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
3 Stars:
1st - Michael DiPietro (Utica Comets) 38/39
2nd - Adam Gaudette (Utica Comets) 1G
3rd - Philippe Maillet (Hershey Bears) 1G

SOG:
Utica - 10/4/4/1 = 19
Bears - 7/14/12/6 = 39

Reactions: mossey3535

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Not a lot to say that you can't get from the posts I made as the game progressed. The Comets shouldn't have won this one, but they did. The old adage is "good teams find a away to win even on bad nights." This was a bad night, but one guy showed up with his A-game and that was rookie keeper Michael DiPietro. He cam up big, then huge, then Oh,WOW! and kept repeating it for 38 saves an d 1 GA.

Went to the shootout and simply tossed a goose egg stopping all 3 Bear shooters.

Give them a day off and then get down to business. Cull can't baby this group!
Show them as much video as possible as to how they fell off the cliff this weekend and get them back up to the game we have seen them all play. He needs to get the lines back to what they were to start things off with the exception of Gaudette. Put him between Baertschi and Goldobin. Keep Perron with the 4th liners Arseneau and Bancks.

This is not a time to start mixing and matching. He had a great recipe and since he started fiddling around with the lines they have slid a long ways from their previous play. Yeah. load up with everything you've got on hand. The Comets can't believe this will be their roster for a very long. Win as many as you can now and piece meal the roster later when some of the big guns are missing.

When/if Graovac comes back sit Bancks and Hamilton if he wants to keep Jasek on that RW where Bancks is currently playing. If Graovac doesn't meld right in, scratch him until he does. The roster will have plenty of room for him as well as Bancks and Hamilton as the season progresses.

Baertschi/Gaudette/Goldobin
Boucher/Camper/Lind
Bailey/Jasek/MacEwen
Arseneau/Perron/Bancks

He also has to get Blujus back into the top 6.
Teves and Chatfield are the 2 to give breaks for Dylan.

Have a good night everybody!

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
As under siege as the Comets were tonight I thought Olli Juolevi continued to have his moments with tonight's highlights including a text book point blank shot block and a well executed left headlock and hip toss in a melee in front of Dipietro while neatly maintaining enough leverage to continue torquing the head after the players hit the ice. resulting in off setting minors. Such a display of advanced grappling technique is worthy of the likes of renowned hockey grappler Mark Borowiecki; high praise indeed.

We await what further surprises Olli may have up his sleeve, so to speak ;)

THRILLHOIAF

Jul 26, 2019
@THRILLHOIAF

Somebody delivered your Gaudette + Lind memo to Cull.

It's too bad that Gaudette has elected to try and 1v5 on every shift.

He had one phenomenal blind, back-hand pass to Baertschi on the doorstep, but Baertschi in the most baffling move I'd seen in the game, elected to pass to Bailey who had zero space for a shot.

I know Gaudette wants to light it up and look like a stud to get a call-back, but teamplay is the only way its going to work to be a succesful center.

Chatfield really needs to be taken out of the lineup for Blujus. The guy kept on playing far up the ice to break up plays only to prompt odd-man-rushes for the Bears.

It was as if at all points of the game, four Comets players were playing beyond center Ice while one defender was left on the Comets blue-line.

Really awful defensive showing from the Comets tonight...timing and chemistry was non-existent tonight.

Reffing was absolutely atrocious as well... Carter Bancks was slewfooted along the boards, Boucher should've gotten a penalty shot, he was blatantly held on a shorthanded rush with MacEwen, the offsides calls were on practically every Comets break-in attempt... not a good look for the refs in this one. I think they saw how chippy things were after just the first 10 minutes of play, and after the double coincidental minors they decided to throw away the whistles and let Hershey bombard the Comets.

Hard to single out players too much in this game because generally, everybody looked awful.

Hard to evaluate the line-combinations and what not given the brutal midnight bus-ride into Hershey post-Binghamton game. I've said it before each game this season, that the next will be the litmus test, but against a struggling Binghamton squad I dont know if much testing will be done.

fantastic game from MDP too btw... my recap which you can find here: 10/26/19 – Utica Comets vs. Hershey Bears

is about 95% footage of MDP making huge saves

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Mikey DiPietro off to a surprisingly solid start in his pro career....he actually looks like a stronger goalie in the AHL than he did in junior....but this isn't surprising. Pro hockey is far more structured, and playing goal is all about angles, rebound control and fighting through screens in front to pick up the puck.

Canucks 'goaltending of the future' is in good hands with Demko in VanCity; DiPietro in the AHL; and Silovs in junior.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Reffing was absolutely atrocious as well... Carter Bancks was slewfooted along the boards, Boucher should've gotten a penalty shot, he was blatantly held on a shorthanded rush with MacEwen, the offsides calls were on practically every Comets break-in attempt... not a good look for the refs in this one. I think they saw how chippy things were after just the first 10 minutes of play, and after the double coincidental minors they decided to throw away the whistles and let Hershey bombard the Comets.

One of the linesmen tried to make it all up to the Comets on their final rush at the end of the third period; he somehow missed that Arseneau was offside by almost two feet-- no exaggeration-- and Bancks got a good scoring opportunity just before the buzzer.

The referees definitely gave most of the breaks to Hershey.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Mikey DiPietro off to a surprisingly solid start in his pro career....he actually looks like a stronger goalie in the AHL than he did in junior....but this isn't surprising. Pro hockey is far more structured, and playing goal is all about angles, rebound control and fighting through screens in front to pick up the puck.

Canucks 'goaltending of the future' is in good hands with Demko in VanCity; DiPietro in the AHL; and Silovs in junior.

Umm... Dipietro was considered one of the best if not the best goalie in the CHL. He was also the starter for Team Canada at the WJC. Before he went down with an injury last season, he went undefeated in the playoffs. He's basically as good as it gets as far as a goalie in junior goes.

But you are right in that it isn't surprising that Dipietro has seemingly adjusted to the AHL well as he is suppose to be a top goalie prospect.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Umm... Dipietro was considered one of the best if not the best goalie in the CHL. He was also the starter for Team Canada at the WJC. Before he went down with an injury last season, he went undefeated in the playoffs. He's basically as good as it gets as far as a goalie in junior goes.

But you are right in that it isn't surprising that Dipietro has seemingly adjusted to the AHL well as he is suppose to be a top goalie prospect.
There's a lot of hot-shot goalies in junior who struggle in their first exposure to pro hockey. Both Cory Schneider and Thatcher Demko had tough starts to their AHL careers. Even Markstrom had some lean years in the AHL playing in the Panthers system.

So really, what DiPietro did in the OHL isn't really a precursor for anything. And although he's a solid goaltending prospect now, the NHL scouting fraternity wasn't all that impressed in his draft year....which is the reason the Canucks were able to draft in the third round.

But no doubt he held the Comets in there in this one. Last year this is the type of game where Utica would have been buried on the road. But the good teams find a way.

Reactions: go comets

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
There's a lot of hot-shot goalies in junior who struggle in their first exposure to pro hockey. Both Cory Schneider and Thatcher Demko had tough starts to their AHL careers. Even Markstrom had some lean years in the AHL playing in the Panthers system.

So really, what DiPietro did in the OHL isn't really a precursor for anything. And although he's a solid goaltending prospect now, the NHL scouting fraternity wasn't all that impressed in his draft year....which is the reason the Canucks were able to draft in the third round.

But no doubt he held the Comets in there in this one. Last year this is the type of game where Utica would have been buried on the road. But the good teams find a way.

while I like Mikey; his height is a question and we need to see how teams adapt to
Him once they get an playbook on him.

he’s talented so he should adjust but we need time here

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
while I like Mikey; his height is a question and we need to see how teams adapt to
Him once they get an playbook on him.

he’s talented so he should adjust but we need time here
And we need to see how Dipietro adapts to the smarter players. He has a tonne of room to grow and I think he has a good chance of adapting his own game, despite being smallish (6 ft is small by today's standards but it isn't tiny.

chaputonyou

Oct 17, 2019
DiPietro is an example of a legit Canuck prospect who needs time in the AHL to grow his game and get better...but his potential is exciting.

I'm excited about next year - want to see Madden, Woo, Lockwood, Toni Utenen, and yes...Silovs develop in Utica...it's going to put pressure on current prospects to keep getting better, and it's going to push the marginal guys who were 'fillers' out....

Really happy that McIntyre was brought in with Bachman still there. When you are a young goalie like DiPietro building your game and confidence, having a veteran or two gives you a bit of insulation. The great thing about Vancouver is that with Markstrom and Demko in Vancouver, DiPietro should get the same treatment as Demko got - time in the AHL for a few seasons and not getting rushed.

And we need to see how Dipietro adapts to the smarter players. He has a tonne of room to grow and I think he has a good chance of adapting his own game, despite being smallish (6 ft is small by today's standards but it isn't tiny.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad