Speculation: 2019-20 Trade thread (NOT Tank Talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Recognizing the decline in Rakell's play, Is Boeser really an upgrade (particularly given the contracts and Boeser's injury history)? Boeser has never scored 30 goals and has pretty similar point production to Rakell - particularly if you adjust for the fact the Ducks are bad. And I'm genuinely asking this - because I'm not super familiar with Boeser other than the hype seems to exceed the production.

I'd take Boeser for sure - seems like a fine player. But I can't help but feels he's being overrated here and on the main board. But I could be wrong.

He’s certainly not an upgrade on peak Rakell. But he is definitely an upgrade on current Rakell and he has the skillset that should mesh well with Getzy.

It’s also worth noting he’s only 23. There could still be room for improvement.

Reactions: Getz2noone

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
He’s certainly not an upgrade on peak Rakell. But he is definitely an upgrade on current Rakell and he has the skillset that should mesh well with Getzy.

It’s also worth noting he’s only 23. There could still be room for improvement.
Pretty much this, I think stylistically he fits in what we need to find on the rw side of zegras. He is also a RFA at end of contract which is a + to me. He is a legit shot.... he has .80 ppg over last 3 seasons, roughly 66 points per season and seems like a legit player that’ll put in 30 goals a season. Still young with room to improve

for the Canucks they keep similar production, but cut the cap down a little

Last edited:

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I don't see us going after Boeser at all. Why at this stage?

His actual annual salary is around 7M per the next two years, almost as much as both years combined for Rakell (7.6M). It does not make sense for us financially to trade for a more expensive guy who might or might not score more goals. Boeser hasn't played more than 69 games a season (nice) and hasn't scored more than 29 goals. I would enjoy him on our team, don't take me wrong. But I don't see us the team going after him.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I don't see us going after Boeser at all. Why at this stage?

His actual annual salary is around 7M per the next two years, almost as much as both years combined for Rakell (7.6M). It does not make sense for us financially to trade for a more expensive guy who might or might not score more goals. Boeser hasn't played more than 69 games a season (nice) and hasn't scored more than 29 goals. I would enjoy him on our team, don't take me wrong. But I don't see us the team going after him.

Ya nobody has pointed out that Boeser is going to cost 8 mil just to qualify due to his salary being so high.

Not sure I want him at 8 mil minimum with his injury history.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
The thing with Boeser is that we're now talking about handing $8 million guaranteed to a guy, who has never broken 30 goals in the NHL (OK, 29 is close, but you get the point). I don't care how much Philly is paying Kevin Hayes, Boeser's current NHL showing just doesn't warrant that kind of salary. Can we say for sure that Boeser is more than a 55-60 point player?

If our organization wasn't willing to take chances with Kase, how would they justify taking a gamble with Boeser? Of course, Boeser is right now definitely the better player, but compare the price tags and it becomes tough to sell the idea of giving up big assets for Boeser.

The Canucks must realize that they might be ****ed with Boeser, and are now exploring different options. It's a tough decision TBH -- they kind of want to keep him, but they don't want to overpay him, and they certainly don't want to have him walk for free via UFA after not providing a QO. IMO they've got no rush though, they're probably just looking if they could fleece a desperate GM.

Reactions: duckpuck
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Ya nobody has pointed out that Boeser is going to cost 8 mil just to qualify due to his salary being so high.

Not sure I want him at 8 mil minimum with his injury history.

I don't think he does, anymore. Part of the MOU is that the max QO is 120% of the AAV, in his case $7.05 mil. Still a bit steep but less to worry about.

Sucks for him and Meier, too. They purposefully took less to get those high QOs and now they changed the rules on them. Meier especially gets shafted, the whole point was to somewhat guarantee him some kind of upside for taking that deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad