Speculation: 2019-20 Trade thread (NOT Tank Talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Never going to happen but having Eichel and Gibson to build around would be awesome.

That being said there is nothing on our roster except Gibson who could get a deal done. If they wanted to accept Zegras and Rakell I would pull the trigger in a heartbeat but that wouldn’t be nearly enough.
I disagree with that. I mean, it would still take 2020 1st + Zegras + Lindholm as a start, but to say that Gibson HAS to be in the deal is a stretch.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I disagree with that. I mean, it would still take 2020 1st + Zegras + Lindholm as a start, but to say that Gibson HAS to be in the deal is a stretch.

I meant one for one Gibson is the only guy we have on that level. And even then with Eichel being 3 years younger it may not be enough.

Reactions: Getz2noone

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Even if we had a package Buffalo would want why would Eichel be happy just to go from one bad team to another? I doubt he gets moved, but IF he does I think it would probably a team better positioned to contend in the short term.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Even if we had a package Buffalo would want why would Eichel be happy just to go from one bad team to another? I doubt he gets moved, but IF he does I think it would probably a team better positioned to contend in the short term.
I think confidence in owners and management... ducks have been a competitive team for majority of the last 20 years(could argue 1 of the top teams in that span).... and I don’t think our owners would sign off on the trade unless they were willing to build a competitive team around him.
I also don’t think the trade would be as crazy as people would suggest... it would likely be a ton go prospects and unprotected 1sts. I’d use the Karrlson trade as kinda an outline and add a bit.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
Problem with trading so much for Eichel (Including Zegras) is that we would not have the talent to compete. If you added Eichel to the current team and did not get rid of anyone, we still would not be favorites for the cup. We have a better chance to draft a few players and hope they turn into a top pairing D or a first line player like Eichel. Sorry we had a window with Kelser, but had a crap coach IMO, so now we are in a rebuild.

Now we have to hope for a dramatic increase in ability from our young guys, to go with Zegras and the new pick this year. I would not trade for him, i just dont think we would be that good before his contract ran out

Reactions: Kalv and Dmang714

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Problem with trading so much for Eichel (Including Zegras) is that we would not have the talent to compete. If you added Eichel to the current team and did not get rid of anyone, we still would not be favorites for the cup. We have a better chance to draft a few players and hope they turn into a top pairing D or a first line player like Eichel. Sorry we had a window with Kelser, but had a crap coach IMO, so now we are in a rebuild.

Now we have to hope for a dramatic increase in ability from our young guys, to go with Zegras and the new pick this year. I would not trade for him, i just dont think we would be that good before his contract ran out
It really doesn’t make sense at this point, I like eichel a lot but we just need to continue down the road we’re on and focus on drafting some more young players.
Our defense and goalie situation is solid imo, we’ve been pretty unlucky with injuries the last couple seasons.

we just need some top level talent up front.

Rakell Henrique silf steel comtois Getzlaf Heinen Milano are all 2nd and 3rd line players at this point in their respective careers, we need some actual top line players.

I do think Rakell / comtois have ability to be top line players with right center.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

Having an elite 1C is what gives you the best chance to compete. It is much easier to acquire all of the other required pieces than it is a Jack Eichel. If the opportunity arises, you do it

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Having an elite 1C is what gives you the best chance to compete. It is much easier to acquire all of the other required pieces than it is a Jack Eichel. If the opportunity arises, you do it

Yup, and it's not like Eichel is some aging veteran. He's 23 and good enough to be a perennial Hart candidate if his team was good enough to make the playoffs.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Sure worked for Buffalo...so much so they even got a potential franchise defenseman in Dahlin.

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011

Yes, if he is the missing piece (Like when we got Pronger). I just dont see enough talent depth to be competitive. It would be like Buffalo now (or worse), they are not that competitive with him.

Now I think the Kings do have enough assets, and enough good veteran players. I would hate to see them get him, since they still have Kopitar and Doughty.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Yes, if he is the missing piece (Like when we got Pronger). I just dont see enough talent depth to be competitive. It would be like Buffalo now (or worse), they are not that competitive with him.

Now I think the Kings do have enough assets, and enough good veteran players. I would hate to see them get him, since they still have Kopitar and Doughty.

Nah man, just like with Pronger(well especially Pronger for what that trade was) thats just the kind of trade you have to do if the opportunity is there. A talent like that should never be available and you're almost certainly never going to lose a trade like that.

You mentioned taking our chances with the picks we have but thats borderline asinine. If you have a top five pick you'd pray that he ends up as good as Eichel. Anything lower and it would take a miracle. Obviously everything has a limit but I would much rather take the chance that this franchise could just legitimately build around Eichel than find their own.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Adding Eichel basically adds a Getzlaf like talent who is 23 years old. He’s likely going to play out the rest of his 20s as a top 5 C in the game and his peak could easily be similar to Getzlaf where he gets Hart consideration.

If he’s made available (which he won’t be) we should jump all over the chance to get him.

Reactions: Trojans86
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
true, but under Bob I would have zero faith. dude would probably just surround Eichel with a bunch of old "good locker room vets" to play with

I mean, probably not, but ok.

Bob did a really good job IMO rebuilding a team destined for purgatory into an elite franchise. The caveat is that this was a lot easier than it would've been for others because he got to start with a HoF caliber duo, which adds a lot of questions for this go round. However, if you give him another Getzlaf, that certainly changes things quite a bit.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Adding Eichel basically adds a Getzlaf like talent who is 23 years old. He’s likely going to play out the rest of his 20s as a top 5 C in the game and his peak could easily be similar to Getzlaf where he gets Hart consideration.

If he’s made available (which he won’t be) we should jump all over the chance to get him.

I think theres obviously a limit to what you can give up for literally anyone, but there's pretty much no way we're approaching that. In the event he'd be available it would be because he's forcing his way out and you pretty much can't pay too much for a guy in that position. Certainly not when they're thag young and locked up for that long, this won't be a Matt Duchene situation.

The bigger issue is that some other team might step up to the plate with a more proven talent with that same high upside. It's not a slam dunk by any means but I have my doubts Zegras would be the best main piece they could get in return. On the other hand, teams are greedy and petty and Zegras has his highlight tapes.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
What are our thoughts on trying to re-acquire Perron? I tend to think we need another Veteran RW at this point.
He just had 60 points in 71 games on a really good team and he is only making $4 million. They have no reason to get rid of him. Although I did really like him here.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
He just had 60 points in 71 games on a really good team and he is only making $4 million. They have no reason to get rid of him. Although I did really like him here.
Hes also one of the few assets that may fetch a return for a tram needing to make room for their captain.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Hes also one of the few assets that may fetch a return for a tram needing to make room for their captain.
But at only $4 million he's a bargain, which is a huge deal to a cap-strapped team. They would gladly trade Steen, Schwartz, Faulk, or even Schenn first.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
But at only $4 million he's a bargain, which is a huge deal to a cap-strapped team. They would gladly trade Steen, Schwartz, Faulk, or even Schenn first.
Sure but a lot of teams are going to be cap strapped and not looking to help out. Faulk and Steen are going to be VERY hard to move and Schwartz and Schenn are probably better and harder to replace

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I still can't believe how bad that Faulk contract is. Armstrong is one of the better GMs around but not even Faulk's closest family would admit he's worth that term. For a guy who let a prominent Blues player like Backes walk for nothing because of the term he wanted in free agency (in hindsight that was the right choice), it was a bit surprising to see him hand out an unjustified contract to a guy who hadn't even played a game as a Blue (which with foresight and in hindsight will be the wrong choice).

Reactions: AngelDuck

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I still can't believe how bad that Faulk contract is. Armstrong is one of the better GMs around but not even Faulk's closest family would admit he's worth that term. For a guy who let a prominent Blues player like Backes walk for nothing because of the term he wanted in free agency (in hindsight that was the right choice), it was a bit surprising to see him hand out an unjustified contract to a guy who hadn't even played a game as a Blue (which with foresight and in hindsight will be the wrong choice).
Armstrong has built a great team for years now. Even before they won the cup they were usually a top flight team.Just shows every GM has a stinker every now and then. His Schenn and Oreilly deals are 2 of the best moves in the last 5 years league wide

he’s still got a core in tact that’s mostly under 30 that will be contending for cups the next 2-3 years.

I envy them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad