Speculation: 2019-20 Trade Speculation and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
That trade worked out very well on deadline day, no hindsight needed.

Not sure why some on here were so upset.

Reactions: Abilify

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
That trade worked out very well on deadline day, no hindsight needed.

Not sure why some on here were so upset.

Even though it was a long shot anyway, it was the team basically giving up on the Texas Stars possibly making the playoffs, something that would've been invaluable for a team as young as they are.

Now, given that Djuse played at most a handful of games and there won't be playoffs anyway, we win. Although it's such a small deal that winning it means very very little.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Back in March the NHLPA were told escrow could rise up to 35% in a worst case scenerio in order to ensure 50:50 revenue split. If the cap remains flat, next years escrow could be insane. So, for example a player who makes $1 million on paper might only make 650k pre tax due to withheld escrow payments. Numbers are nothing but a wild guess at this point, but regardless I think it's fair to speculate that players take home pay over the next year will be significantly lower than what we see on Capfriendly, Spotrac and the like.

With that in mind, I think long term back loaded contracts would be much more valuable to both team and player then they would be under normal circumstances. The players get financial certainty in uncertain times while keeping a higher percentage of their paycheck long term. And, the team keeps their short term costs low during a time period of historic revenue problems while remaining competitive. If Nill likes the players, I think he should look long and hard at back-loaded contracts for his current crop of RFAs like Hintz, Gurianov and Faksa.

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
I didn’t think the Stars had room for Faksa when the cap was going up- I surely don’t think they have room for him now. I could see him going to Colorado or a team like that with cap space.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Some fans have been trying to get rid of Faksa for a while now. Dont think Nill agrees with that, but there will be cap casualties for sure. I dont think it will be him, unless Ty D really blows them away as the same player. Even then, if they still think they are in a Cup window, they wont want to step back on experience now. If you want to see the value of a checking center who scores a few goals, watch the 1999 Cup run on FoxSW, and focus on Guy Carboneau.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
I didn’t think the Stars had room for Faksa when the cap was going up- I surely don’t think they have room for him now. I could see him going to Colorado or a team like that with cap space.

I’m not sure what the cap will be now, but as of now the Stars have are around 62M for next year. I’m not sure how we sit with the bonuses though

We have 8 forwards, 6 D and one Goalie in that 62M. Obv Janmark most likely won’t be back. Nill should be able to sign all 3 of Gury, Hintz and Faksa, just might have to fill out the rest with cheap ELC deals.

Could be a compliance buyout also, and we could save some cap with someone like Cogs, but who knows

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I’m not sure what the cap will be now, but as of now the Stars have are around 62M for next year. I’m not sure how we sit with the bonuses though

We have 8 forwards, 6 D and one Goalie in that 62M. Obv Janmark most likely won’t be back. Nill should be able to sign all 3 of Gury, Hintz and Faksa, just might have to fill out the rest with cheap ELC deals.

Could be a compliance buyout also, and we could save some cap with someone like Cogs, but who knows
I'd assume if we get a compliance buyout, it'd be Rads, Pavs, or Benn.

Maybe they could swing something like
Benn for Kopitar.
LA buys out Benn, Dal buys out Kopitar, so that Kopitar could re-sign at a cheaper rate with LA and Benn with Dal (assuming they both wanted to stay)

Reactions: Magic Mittens

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Say the rumours of a flat cap are true I think we can still fit Faksa.

Benn (9.5) - Seguin (9.9) - Radulov (6.3)
Guri (RFA) - Hintz (RFA) - Pavelski (7.0)
Coglino (3.3) - Faksa (RFA) - Comeau (2.4)
UFA/Prospect - Dicky (1.5) - UFA/Prospect

Lindell (5.8) - Klingberg (4.3)
Heiskanen (0.9) - Johns (2.4)
Oleksiak (2.2) - UFA

Bishop (5.0)
UFA

Healthy Scratch (x3)

Cap Hit: 60.500M
Cap Ceiling: 81.500M
Cap Space: 21.00M

Hintz, Guri, and Faksa + 7 additional roster spots (none top 9/top 4). Hintz and Guri both likely get bridge deals, Faksa gets a mid length deal, we sign a backup and fill the rest of the team with call ups or cheap signings. There will be some bonus overage, but I doubt it’ll be crippling.

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
I think from a financial perspective it will be easy to rationalize not spending to the cap- the team has underperformed as it is might as well spend a little less. Bring Dicky up to 3C, sign a bargain player on the bottom 6- which is a Nill move anyways, and make a call up to help fill it out.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Say the rumours of a flat cap are true I think we can still fit Faksa.

Benn (9.5) - Seguin (9.9) - Radulov (6.3)
Guri (RFA) - Hintz (RFA) - Pavelski (7.0)
Coglino (3.3) - Faksa (RFA) - Comeau (2.4)
UFA/Prospect - Dicky (1.5) - UFA/Prospect

Lindell (5.8) - Klingberg (4.3)
Heiskanen (0.9) - Johns (2.4)
Oleksiak (2.2) - UFA

Bishop (5.0)
UFA

Healthy Scratch (x3)

Cap Hit: 60.500M
Cap Ceiling: 81.500M
Cap Space: 21.00M

Hintz, Guri, and Faksa + 7 additional roster spots (none top 9/top 4). Hintz and Guri both likely get bridge deals, Faksa gets a mid length deal, we sign a backup and fill the rest of the team with call ups or cheap signings. There will be some bonus overage, but I doubt it’ll be crippling.

I've got a feeling Dellandrea is up on the big team next year. Could push Dickinson to the wing.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Some fans have been trying to get rid of Faksa for a while now. Dont think Nill agrees with that, but there will be cap casualties for sure. I dont think it will be him, unless Ty D really blows them away as the same player. Even then, if they still think they are in a Cup window, they wont want to step back on experience now. If you want to see the value of a checking center who scores a few goals, watch the 1999 Cup run on FoxSW, and focus on Guy Carboneau.

If Faska was Guy Carboneau I'd agree but he's a pale imitation and probably the easiest/most expensive player they could ship out without taking big money back. A few other posters have mentioned it but Gags isn't going to want to spend to the cap after this financial disaster. Dallas, hell a lot of teams, will cut money if they can.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
If Faska was Guy Carboneau I'd agree but he's a pale imitation and probably the easiest/most expensive player they could ship out without taking big money back. A few other posters have mentioned it but Gags isn't going to want to spend to the cap after this financial disaster. Dallas, hell a lot of teams, will cut money if they can.

Good point, I think Gaglardi was fine losing some money on the team because his other business made up for it. That won't be the case for the next few years.. so if the building isnt full every night (it never is) then I think we will be under the cap. maybe 10 million under.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX

You and I still rank Faksa differently. When Guy got here he was pretty old and considered past his prime. He looked good on the recent FSSW playoff run, and did do a great job against Forsberg and Sakic in 1999 and 2000, and popped in some important goals. I recall being surprised that he was actually a -1 in 1999. He also played with Keane, Skrudland, etc. and they had to help at least as much as and probably more as Comeau and Cogs (who most fans complain about even more). Short version, I think sometimes our memories come with Rose Colored glasses. Faksa in his prime is a pretty good defensive checking asset.

That said, these are strange times, and if the cap is cut by the NHL or TG for the Stars only, yes, looking around you would have to consider value of the next contract and potential replacements in any roster decision, so its not out of the question that RF prices himself out of the Stars range. Or, maybe players will realize the difficulties of the time and sign more reasonable contracts. Doubtful based on history, but then, we haven't seen anything like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->