2019-20 Senators

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
My plan to retool the Sens : go younger so we have a younger core of vets fitting with the prospects like Chabot, Brown, White, Chlapik, Batherson, Formenton, Jaros, Harpur, etc.

Trade (this deadline or in the off-season) :

Derrick Brassard (because he is 30 y/o and would need a new contract starting when he is 32 y/o)
Zack Smith (turning 30 y/o soon)
Alex Burrows (36 y/o)
Nate Thompson (33 y/o)
Tom Pyatt (30 y/o)
Gabriel Dumont (if you can get anything)

Johnny Oduya (36 y/o)
Chris Wideman (fine little player but will get more expensive and Sens will need his spot for Jaros, etc)
Fredrik Claesson (he stays if we can't find the right deal)
Dion Phaneuf (if an interesting deal comes)

Craig Anderson (if possible but would need a temporary replacement or a possible long-term replacement)
Mike Condon (same as Andy)

- Keep Bobby Ryan for now as he brings skill and playmaking and with 4 years left on his deal after this season, we wouldn't get a good return anyway. Deal him later when the young guys have enough experience and confidence to produce. Hopefully Ryan stops being injury-prone so he gains a bit more value while producing more consistently

- Same for Phaneuf, keep him until the right deal comes along. With 3 years left on his contract after this season and if the Sens are ready to eat a cap dump (of course, not too big), then it might happen.

- MacArthur is on LTIR and should stay there until the end of his contract after 2019-20. Doesn't count against the cap and cost less than a million per year in insurance.

- Karlsson, Ceci, Stone, Hoffman, Duchene, Dzingel and Pageau are a young core of vets (24 to 28 y/o) that we should build around. In some cases (Hoffman, Duchene and Ceci), we have to put them in better "chairs", aka find the right players to play them with.

- Not sure if Borowiecki (28 y/o) should be among those guys but he seems like an important guy in the room. I see no harm in keeping him a cheap contracts and in a limited role (6th/7th)

- The biggest problem is goaltending. Have to rebuild the pipeline again, from top to bottom. Keep Hogberg but can't hatch all our eggs in this basket

- Oh and might need a new coaching staff with a more fitting approach with the personnel. Hard to speculate on that

Based on all that, here is my roster for the 2019-20 season :

First this is my Free Agent Signings (of course it's approx.)

UFAYEARSCAP HIT
Duchene, Matt5$6,000,000
Dzingel, Ryan4$3,000,000
Karlsson, Erik8$9,650,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
Ceci, Cody5$4,500,000
Högberg, Marcus3$900,000
Gagné, Gabriel3$900,000
Harpur, Ben3$1,200,000
Paul, Nicholas3$1,200,000
Perron, Francis3$900,000
Stone, Mark8$7,000,000
White, Colin3$1,200,000
Englund, Andreas3$900,000
Driedger, Chris3$900,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
CapFriendly.com Armchair-GM User-Generated Roster

FORWARDS (12)

Right wing: B. Ryan ($7,250,000) - M. Stone ($7,000,000) - C. White ($1,200,000) - G. Gagné ($900,000)
Centre: M. Duchene ($6,000,000) - D. Batherson ($763,333) - J. Pageau ($3,100,000) - F. Chlapik ($728,333)
Left wing: M. Hoffman ($5,187,500) - R. Dzingel ($3,000,000) - F. Perron ($900,000) - N. Paul ($1,200,000)

DEFENSE (7)

Right: E. Karlsson ($9,650,000) - C. Ceci ($4,500,000) - C. Jaros ($755,000)
Left: T. Chabot ($863,333) - B. Harpur ($1,200,000) - D. Phaneuf ($7,000,000) - M. Borowiecki ($1,200,000)

GOALTENDER (2)

C. Anderson ($4,750,000) - M. Condon ($2,400,000)

DETAILS
Roster Size: 21
NHL Salary Cap: $80,000,000
Cap Hit: $69,547,499
Cap Space: $10,452,501

Note : That roster is not accounting the picks and prospects acquired through trades (mainly Brassard, Smith, etc). And I have not graduated players like Brown, Formenton, Wolanin, Lajoie, Hogberg, Englund, etc. yet as well as the new draft picks (could have a top-10 this year, notably)

Also, don't forget that we will need completely new blood in nets. But not going to speculate trades here.

Cap hit is also an approximation. It might be over that by then but I still have the Sens under ~ 10 M$ to keep the budget thing going.

Last edited:

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Agreed with just about everything.

I do think one of Phaneuf or Ceci HAS to go. The D core needs a big reshaping.

Brassard is paid so little that he won't be traded. Which I'm good with.

I don't really want Pyatt gone but if him leaving means Pageau gets some quality linemates, so be it.

Reactions: Deku

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
I don't see Karlsson signing for anything under 10M a season, and I'm sure if he knows that if he goes to market, some teams are willing to give him a blank check he just need to write the amount.
I'm pretty sure that Karlsson is not part of this team in 2019-20, other than that i agree with everything you propose.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Agreed with just about everything.

I do think one of Phaneuf or Ceci HAS to go. The D core needs a big reshaping.

Brassard is paid so little that he won't be traded. Which I'm good with.

I don't really want Pyatt gone but if him leaving means Pageau gets some quality linemates, so be it.

Yeah, D-core needs improvement of course. Build around Chabot, Karlsson, Ceci, Jaros, Harpur AND they have to find a D-man that will be the best defensively out of the bunch. They have to reduce the burden on Ceci and allow him to flourish in easier assignments. Phaneuf will have to go eventually but he can be a stop gap in the meanwhile. He's a solid veteran with leadership and great work ethic.

I agree that Brassard's contract is perfect for the Sens (and I like him) but he only has 1 year left on his contract anyway and he could be attractive to many teams, Sens could get a very good return for him in terms of picks and prospects, or just 1 solid young player that will grow with the rest of the team. It's not against Brassard, it's more because he won't fit the age group going forward (20-28). Already have Ryan and Phaneuf as veterans in the meanwhile.

I don't see Karlsson signing for anything under 10M a season, and I'm sure if he knows that if he goes to market, some teams are willing to give him a blank check he just need to write the amount.
I'm pretty sure that Karlsson is not part of this team in 2019-20, other than that i agree with everything you propose.

I understand your point but IMO it would be a terrible mistake (ala Price) to sign EK over 10 M$ per year. He already had 2 MAJOR injuries that affected his play and he is slowly approaching the 30's. Heck, 9.65 x 8 years is a LOT of money (77 M$)

He has to look at himself in the mirror and realize that he is not worth McDavid's money. Plus if he wants to win, he has to help his team, like Crosby did (signing at 8.7 x 12 for ALL his prime)

If EK wants 12 M$ per season, trade him. That would be for the best of the team. Could you get a Lindholm + Rakell package for him? Might be too late, but I always thought about those 2 if we were to trade Karlsson. Could have worked last year or even this off-season.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
I hope and pray that Karlsson will take a little less money and make sure that the Sens can go out surround him with better players!

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
You keep Karlsson, Ceci, Stone, Hoffman, Duchene, Dzingel, Phaneuf, and Pageau and Dump the rest for what ever you can.

Punchbowl

Apr 4, 2010
This is a realistic but somewhat depressing assessment of the team. That roster has some serious issues (e.g. the centre depth).

I'm not saying it's unrealistic that Ceci will want $4.5M, but I'm not sure we can afford him if that's what he demands.

A $4.5M defenceman on our budget-constrained team is likely our 3rd highest paid defender in most seasons, and I'm not sure Ceci is up to the task of being this team's 3rd best defenceman. If we ice 3 lopsided pairings (i.e. Karlsson-X, Chabot-X, Ceci-X) it's feasible, provided Chabot develops as hoped, but it's definitely not ideal.

Unfortunately there aren't any glaringly obvious replacements I can think of... I guess we just have to hope another defender takes his place.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I think Karlsson stays with the team but it'll be at least 10 million per. Other than that good job here, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Reactions: Xspyrit

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I hope and pray that Karlsson will take a little less money and make sure that the Sens can go out surround him with better players!
I'm not really a Eugene basher, but this mindset only really works when a team is spending to the cap, otherwise it's "why would I take a pay cut to help the team if the owner isn't going all out too?" Financial sacrifice on both sides.

And I think that's a valid stance.

Reactions: topshelf15

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I did it again and this is how it looks :

- I rounded the extensions for simplification reasons.

- Zack Smith could be traded to any team and if it's not a 2nd round pick, it could be a 3rd or something.

- Gaborik will most likely be bought out.

- If Ryan is traded, it would be for a less expensive player, although probably overpaid too (ex : Ladd). Or you retain some salary and get average assets (like a decent pick and decent prospect)

- I bought out Condon but he could be traded instead, who knows?

- Maybe Anderson could be traded or bought out too, impossible to tell right now.

- Most importantly, this roster DOES NOT include the two Sens 1st round picks in the next draft. The highest pick would most likely be in Ryan's or Wolanin's spot.

Free Agent Signings

UFAYEARSCAP HIT
Duchene, Matt6$7,000,000
Dzingel, Ryan3$3,000,000
Karlsson, Erik8$10,000,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
Högberg, Marcus3$1,000,000
Ceci, Cody5$4,000,000
Paul, Nicholas3$1,000,000
White, Colin3$2,000,000
Stone, Mark8$7,000,000
Pokka, Ville3$1,000,000
Englund, Andreas3$1,000,000
Wolanin, Christian3$2,000,000
Gagné, Gabriel3$1,000,000
Perron, Francis3$1,000,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Trades

OTT

1. 2020 2nd round pick (CGY)
CGY

1. Smith, Z.
Buyouts

• Marián Gáborík: $2,741,667
  • Mike Condon: $400,000
Retained Salary Transactions

• Dion Phaneuf: $1,750,000 (%25)
LTIR

• Clarke MacArthur was placed on LTIR for an assumed full cap relief of $4,650,000

LINE-UP :

HOFFMAN - DUCHENE - DZINGEL
RYAN - BROWN - STONE
CHLAPIK - PAGEAU - WHITE
FORMENTON - PAUL - BATHERSON
LUCHUK/PERRON

CHABOT - KARLSSON
WOLANIN - CECI
BOROWIECKI - JAROS
HARPUR

ANDERSON
HOGBERG

Cap hit : $69,651,664

Prospects : GUSTAVSSON, GAGNE, LAJOIE, SUMMERS, LUCHUK, PERRON, NURMI, ENGLUND, POKKA, KELLY, DRIEDGER, HOLLETT, DACCORD, 2018 picks, 2019 picks

Seriously, if Dorion plays his cards right and Melnyk at least follow the cap evolution with the budget, I like the future of this team.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

- Zack Smith could be traded to any team and if it's not a 2nd round pick, it could be a 3rd or something.

- If Ryan is traded, it would be for a less expensive player, although probably overpaid too (ex : Ladd). Or you retain some salary and get average assets (like a decent pick and decent prospect)

- Maybe Anderson could be traded or bought out too, impossible to tell right now.

- Most importantly, this roster DOES NOT include the two Sens 1st round picks in the next draft. The highest pick would most likely be in Ryan's or Wolanin's spot.

Free Agent Signings

UFAYEARSCAP HIT
Duchene, Matt6$7,000,000
Dzingel, Ryan3$3,000,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
Ceci, Cody5$4,000,000
White, Colin3$2,000,000
Stone, Mark8$7,000,000
Pokka, Ville3$1,000,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Trades

OTT

CGY

1. Smith, Z.
Buyouts

LTIR

• Clarke MacArthur was placed on LTIR for an assumed full cap relief of $4,650,000

LINE-UP :

RYAN - BROWN - STONE
CHLAPIK - PAGEAU - WHITE
LUCHUK/PERRON

CHABOT - KARLSSON
WOLANIN - CECI
BOROWIECKI - JAROS
HARPUR

ANDERSON
HOGBERG

Prospects : GUSTAVSSON, GAGNE, LAJOIE, SUMMERS, LUCHUK, PERRON, NURMI, ENGLUND, POKKA, KELLY, DRIEDGER, HOLLETT, DACCORD, 2018 picks, 2019 picks

Seriously, if Dorion plays his cards right and Melnyk at least follow the cap evolution with the budget, I like the future of this team.
I think with a svechnikov or zadina this team looks good.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Hoffman - Duchene - Svechnikov
Dzingel - Chlapik- Stone
Ryan - Pageau - White
McCormick - Brown - Paarvi
Pyatt

Cleasson - Karlsson
Chabot - Ceci
Boro - Wideman
Harpur/Wolanin

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

Free Agent Signings

UFAYEARSCAP HIT
Duchene, Matt6$7,000,000
Dzingel, Ryan3$3,000,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
Ceci, Cody5$4,000,000
White, Colin3$2,000,000
Stone, Mark8$7,000,000
Pokka, Ville3$1,000,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Trades

OTT

CGY

1. Smith, Z.
Buyouts

LTIR

LINE-UP :

RYAN - BROWN - STONE
CHLAPIK - PAGEAU - WHITE
LUCHUK/PERRON

CHABOT - KARLSSON
WOLANIN - CECI
BOROWIECKI - JAROS
HARPUR

ANDERSON
HOGBERG

I like this team a few years down the road,but for that is alot of kids ...Some of them will surprise,but i also think some may dissappoint...Hopefully EM will leave some money open ,for us to gain a decent vet or two

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I like this team a few years down the road,but for that is alot of kids ...Some of them will surprise,but i also think some may dissappoint...Hopefully EM will leave some money open ,for us to gain a decent vet or two

I get what you're saying but I am thinking Boston Bruins or many other teams. Keep your best vets, surround them with your best young guys.

Don't forget it's not NEXT season but 2019-20

Also, I am not giving up prominent roles to those youngsters except maybe Brown, Chabot and Wolanin. Of course we have no idea for the latter but we might take a D-man with our first in the upcoming draft so we'll see. We still might need a veteran LD but if the team goes young and not too expensive, that'd be it.

RYAN - BROWN - STONE
CHLAPIK - PAGEAU - WHITE
LUCHUK/PERRON

CHABOT - KARLSSON
WOLANIN - CECI
BOROWIECKI - JAROS
HARPUR

ANDERSON
HOGBERG

Last edited:

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I get what you're saying but I am thing Boston Bruins or many other teams. Keep your best vets, surround them with your best young guys.

Also, I am not giving up prominent roles to those youngsters except maybe Brown, Chabot and Wolanin. Of course we have no idea for the latter but we might take a D-man with our first in the upcoming draft so we'll see. We still might need a veteran LD but if the team goes young and not too expensive, that'd be it.

RYAN - BROWN - STONE
CHLAPIK - PAGEAU - WHITE
LUCHUK/PERRON

CHABOT - KARLSSON
WOLANIN - CECI
BOROWIECKI - JAROS
HARPUR

ANDERSON
HOGBERG
I think Gustavsson has passed Hogberg on the depth chart,

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
July 2019 - Eugene Melnyk agrees to terms on the sale of the Ottawa Senators to (insert name here)

August 2019, (new owner) announces the following:
- Daniel Alfredsson hired as President of Hockey Operations.
- GM Pierre Dorion given a 3 year contract extension
- Senators re-hire Cyril Leeder as CEO
- Senators fill all vacant executive positions.
- Senators bolster the the marketing and communications department.
- Coop and Intern positions created to give local college and university students work experience.
- Senators come to a 5 year agreement with Bee Clean Building Maintenance to service CTC offices. Agreement transferrable to new Lebreton arena should it ever be built. This is Ottawa, so 2032 is when I think the arena will be done.
- Senators post full-time job availabilities for 2 European Scouts, 3 CHL scouts, 2 NCAA scouts, and 2 Pro scouts
- all previously tarped seats will be made available to local and surrounding area elementary schools on a lottery basis for young kids and their families to attend. $10 per ticket with all proceeds going towards funding school programs. All tickets redeemable for 25% discount on all Senators apparel/merchandise, or a 35% discount on Senators jerseys.
- Parking at CTC reduced to $15
- proof that you arrived to CTC using public transportation (perhaps some sort of special "POP" transfer ticket?) will be redeemable for one free medium soft drink or a food item of equal value. I was thinking of making a discount on a beer, but I'm not sure the Liquor Control Board allows that...

Now that's a dream line-up.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
July 2019 - Eugene Melnyk agrees to terms on the sale of the Ottawa Senators to (insert name here)

August 2019, (new owner) announces the following:
- Daniel Alfredsson hired as President of Hockey Operations.
- GM Pierre Dorion given a 3 year contract extension
- Senators re-hire Cyril Leeder as CEO
- Senators fill all vacant executive positions.
- Senators bolster the the marketing and communications department.
- Coop and Intern positions created to give local college and university students work experience.
- Senators come to a 5 year agreement with Bee Clean Building Maintenance to service CTC offices. Agreement transferrable to new Lebreton arena should it ever be built. This is Ottawa, so 2032 is when I think the arena will be done.
- Senators post full-time job availabilities for 2 European Scouts, 3 CHL scouts, 2 NCAA scouts, and 2 Pro scouts
- all previously tarped seats will be made available to local and surrounding area elementary schools on a lottery basis for young kids and their families to attend. $10 per ticket with all proceeds going towards funding school programs. All tickets redeemable for 25% discount on all Senators apparel/merchandise, or a 35% discount on Senators jerseys.
- Parking at CTC reduced to $15
- proof that you arrived to CTC using public transportation (perhaps some sort of special "POP" transfer ticket?) will be redeemable for one free medium soft drink or a food item of equal value. I was thinking of making a discount on a beer, but I'm not sure the Liquor Control Board allows that...

Now that's a dream line-up.
Screw Alfie, you should be the president!

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I get what you're saying but I am thinking Boston Bruins or many other teams. Keep your best vets, surround them with your best young guys.

RYAN - BROWN - STONE
CHLAPIK - PAGEAU - WHITE
LUCHUK/PERRON

CHABOT - KARLSSON
WOLANIN - CECI
BOROWIECKI - JAROS
HARPUR

ANDERSON
HOGBERG
My bad ,sorry Xman

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
These are the players i think we currently have who could play a role on a cup contending team.
Hoffman Duchene Stone,
2018 1st round pick (hopefully),White, Smith, Pageau, Karlsson, Chabot

Everybody else can be shipped out for pieces that belong on a contender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->