2019-20 season previews

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Had a feeling the Sharks preview was coming on NHLN Radio and I’m listening to it now. Always good to hear Dan’s voice. Hockey is right around the corner.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Pretty excited for this season. Still going to have to deal with being the one Sharks jersey in an ocean of Ducks jerseys though.
Wanna trade?

I can offer you "dress shirt + pants, in a hot office secretly watching games on a steam in a mini window on my computer"

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Can't wait for the season to start. I think our team wins the Pacific and if all goes right we could be the favorites in the West.

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
We're one step behind winning a cup, one thing the blues are good at and practice are 1 goal games. I def think thats an avenue we've never explored cuz we've been so offensively talented, it would be wise to practice and a good way to pace ourself during season.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I hope the Sharks forward depth is strong in camp because they will be needed to fill the gap Pavelski left. Listening to the NHL Radio preview, they brought up that and Jones's goalie woes quite a few times. Sharks are basically all in but where are those 38 goals that went to Dallas going to come from. They also mentioned Gambrell being like a baby pavelski and maybe I was watching him wrong but I never saw anything from him to make me believe that. Also, I hope we can get at least more than half a season from EK65. I would like a full season, but injuries are part of this sport and unfortunately EK65 is a bit injury prone.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
They also mentioned Gambrell being like a baby pavelski and maybe I was watching him wrong but I never saw anything from him to make me believe that.
Yeah, that seems a bit silly...

But as for the 38 goals, Meier looks capable of 40, if Karlsson has a more normal year for himself that should add another 10, 5-10 more for Labanc with more minutes and better linemates, and 10-15 from whichever Ch gets the call, and the goals are there. Obviously, a proven 20-30 guy getting the top spot would be better, but the goals will be there, especially considering Pavalski was an opportunistic scorer, so there will be more chances for other guys to go to the net. They won't score as often but it isn't like we are losing 38 times a defender was juked off his skates...

Reactions: SJSharksfan39

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011
Hopefully the systems are adjusted, more team-D, less oddmans against from pinching at every opportunity, less reliant on tips from point shots. A better powerplay wouldn't hurt, but you know, I don't want to seem greedy or anything.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Rusanosky mentioned the Boogieman coming back, which will hopefully improve GAA (worst RS in league last year) and improve goals against.

Sharks were 2nd in league in scoring.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
We're one step behind winning a cup, one thing the blues are good at and practice are 1 goal games. I def think thats an avenue we've never explored cuz we've been so offensively talented, it would be wise to practice and a good way to pace ourself during season.

Yet the sharks were the 7th best team in 1 goal games with a .563 win% and the blues were 20th with a .485 win%.

Sharks won 18 1 goal games and lost 5 1 goal games.

Reactions: FeedingFrenzy

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
Yeah, that seems a bit silly...

But as for the 38 goals, Meier looks capable of 40, if Karlsson has a more normal year for himself that should add another 10, 5-10 more for Labanc with more minutes and better linemates, and 10-15 from whichever Ch gets the call, and the goals are there. Obviously, a proven 20-30 guy getting the top spot would be better, but the goals will be there, especially considering Pavalski was an opportunistic scorer, so there will be more chances for other guys to go to the net. They won't score as often but it isn't like we are losing 38 times a defender was juked off his skates...

I agree. We will need Jones and team D to improve *lots*. My concern for the loss of Pavs is that he had something like 6 game winners. Players scoring more goals is great and helpful, who can score *big* goals
to replace what Pavs did - this to me is the question.

PD - add in the donfather and it's more like 50+ GF off the roster.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
Hopefully the systems are adjusted, more team-D, less oddmans against from pinching at every opportunity, less reliant on tips from point shots. A better powerplay wouldn't hurt, but you know, I don't want to seem greedy or anything.

A better poser play would be awesome for GF. Jones/Dell need to be better also - better defensive systems will help and having the boogyman back will contribute to that. GA need to be fewest top 10 in the NHL.

Ukapitalo

Jul 5, 2009
Santa Cruz, CA
I hope the Sharks forward depth is strong in camp because they will be needed to fill the gap Pavelski left. Listening to the NHL Radio preview, they brought up that and Jones's goalie woes quite a few times. Sharks are basically all in but where are those 38 goals that went to Dallas going to come from. They also mentioned Gambrell being like a baby pavelski and maybe I was watching him wrong but I never saw anything from him to make me believe that. Also, I hope we can get at least more than half a season from EK65. I would like a full season, but injuries are part of this sport and unfortunately EK65 is a bit injury prone.

I'm more concerned about an improved defensive system, EK65 not getting injured and Jones stepping his game up than those 38 goals. We were 2nd in the league for goals last year. Even if we only make up 20 of those 38 Pavs goals, we'll sit at 6th next year in goals.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I agree. We will need Jones and team D to improve *lots*. My concern for the loss of Pavs is that he had something like 6 game winners. Players scoring more goals is great and helpful, who can score *big* goals
to replace what Pavs did - this to me is the question.

PD - add in the donfather and it's more like 50+ GF off the roster.

I think there are plenty of Sharks that can have game winners, like Hertl, Meier, and Couture. I’m surprised they haven’t named Couture the captain yet. It’s the most obvious pick. I could also see Burns having the C, but I would rather it be Couture.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I think there are plenty of Sharks that can have game winners, like Hertl, Meier, and Couture. I’m surprised they haven’t named Couture the captain yet. It’s the most obvious pick. I could also see Burns having the C, but I would rather it be Couture.

There are way to many options on this team to just give it to couture just because. And no his playoff scoring is not a reason.

This team as is has what burns, couture, hertl, thornton, karlsson as would be captains on nearly all 31 teams in the nhl. And then there are even others like vlasic and kane that could end up being a captain on the right kind of team.

Deas

Feb 3, 2017
What are the thoughts on NHL.com's prospect ranking from you Sharks fans? I certainly expected to see Chmelevski and Chekhovic.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
What are the thoughts on NHL.com's prospect ranking from you Sharks fans? I certainly expected to see Chmelevski and Chekhovic.

I think they were going at the point of view of NHL readiness in which case it wasn't too bad. The author expects Merkley to stick in the NHL this season and I agree that it is a possibility he could. Mario Ferraro also has a decent shot to make the roster as well though it is unlikely that both him and Merkley make it. C+C Scoring Factory are both great prospects and I personally think at least one of them is going to make the roster (my money is on Chm).

With that all said, I would probably switch out Ferraro for Chmelevski.

Reactions: Deas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->