2019-20 San Diego Gulls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
It was announced today that Alex Broadhurst signed a 1-year deal with HIFK/Liiga.

Guys who are confirmed departures so far:
Persson -> Växjö/SHL
Kloos -> Nizhny Novgorod/KHL
Wideman -> Nizhny Novgorod/KHL
Broadhurst -> HIFK/Liiga

Andersson (RD/QMJHL), Badini (C/NCAA), Groulx (C/QMJHL) and Kindopp (RW/WHL) should be some of the new arrivals for the San Diego roster, whenever the next season begins.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
It was announced today that Alex Broadhurst signed a 1-year deal with HIFK/Liiga.

Guys who are confirmed departures so far:
Persson -> Växjö/SHL
Kloos -> Nizhny Novgorod/KHL
Wideman -> Nizhny Novgorod/KHL
Broadhurst -> HIFK/Liiga

Andersson (RD/QMJHL), Badini (C/NCAA), Groulx (C/QMJHL) and Kindopp (RW/WHL) should be some of the new arrivals for the San Diego roster, whenever the next season begins.

It will be interesting to see what they do with the goaltending this off season. Dostal should be one of the two in San Diego next year, and whether Stolarz joins him likely hinges on Miller's fate.

If Miller retires and Stolarz is given a shot at the backup job, perhaps they bring Boyle back or sign another AHL vet to partner with Dostal. Otherwise we would be looking at another youngster in SD, I suppose it would be Eriksson Ek.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
It will be interesting to see what they do with the goaltending this off season. Dostal should be one of the two in San Diego next year, and whether Stolarz joins him likely hinges on Miller's fate.

If Miller retires and Stolarz is given a shot at the backup job, perhaps they bring Boyle back or sign another AHL vet to partner with Dostal. Otherwise we would be looking at another youngster in SD, I suppose it would be Eriksson Ek.

Don't know how I forgot Dostal, he should be a major boost to the goaltending department.

They've now got 3 youngsters in San Diego: Dostal, Olle and Durny. The latter two might be ECHL bound, so there could indeed be a spot for a veteran goalie, whether that's Stolarz/Boyle or someone else...

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Olle Eriksson Ek

Looked like he was called up before the shutdown but never appeared in any games with the Gulls.

Was trying to find information on his ECHL season but couldn't find much other than his basic statistics.

Will he be able to make the move up this fall (assuming there is a season)?

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Olle Eriksson Ek

Looked like he was called up before the shutdown but never appeared in any games with the Gulls.

Was trying to find information on his ECHL season but couldn't find much other than his basic statistics.

Will he be able to make the move up this fall (assuming there is a season)?

Madden mentioned that he viewed all three of our goalie prospects with having starting potential and we invested in them with a 2 year contract. Durny and Ek will battle it out for likely the AHL backup role.

I wonder if we would be ok with having two really young AHL unproven goalies... we've been consistent with having at least one veteran as the 3rd string since it seems that our goalies get injured every year for a decent length of time. If that is the case, Durny and Ek might need to have another year in the ECHL and dominate or else they will be another Redmond.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Why OILERS????

Jk, that's good news! Kind of forgot we do not have an affiliate tbh, but this will surely be beneficial for organizing the depth. Do they play in that big arena there? Recently saw it in the news in some political coverage.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Tulsa was a middle of the pack team in the ECHL this past season, and they still had the 7th highest average attendance in the league at just about 5000 per game.

Reactions: Kalv

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Why OILERS????

Jk, that's good news! Kind of forgot we do not have an affiliate tbh, but this will surely be beneficial for organizing the depth. Do they play in that big arena there? Recently saw it in the news in some political coverage.

Tulsa is one of the most segregated cities in the US and that political coverage is probably in regards to the anniversary of the Tulsa race massacre. I NEVER knew or heard of this incident until watching the Watchmen on HBO... I can't believe this actually happened... but then again we are now seeing that there is a lot of closet hatred out there in hiding that sadly will never go away.

Reactions: eternalbedhead

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Tulsa is one of the most segregated cities in the US and that political coverage is probably in regards to the anniversary of the Tulsa race massacre. I NEVER knew or heard of this incident until watching the Watchmen on HBO... I can't believe this actually happened... but then again we are now seeing that there is a lot of closet hatred out there in hiding that sadly will never go away.
Actually no, I was seeing a vid on some particular #46 president candidate that had crazy amount of signups but relatively little attendance in the arena in Tulsa :laugh: but I do not want to insult anyone or speak about politics in some other country pretending I know something better.

To the point - I think I had heard about the Tulsa massacre before but had kind of forgot. What an awful and mindblowing act of stupid violence. Hate people like that.

Reactions: cheesymc

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Why OILERS????

yeah they play in the BOK center. It’s a super nice arena for an ECHL team. The tickets get a bit overpriced because of it, but I can get free tickets pretty easily. I’ll definitely go more next season with this news. Very excited about this: hoping they keep working out at my gym too.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
yeah they play in the BOK center. It’s a super nice arena for an ECHL team. The tickets get a bit overpriced because of it, but I can get free tickets pretty easily. I’ll definitely go more next season with this news. Very excited about this: hoping they keep working out at my gym too.
Awesome!
Right now we see some vets leaving for Europe so maybe next year could be more prospect filled, but who knows. You should definitely see some Ducks prospects there in any case.

Reactions: Duck Off

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
With the most recent SCOTUS decision, Tusla is no longer part of the state of Oklahoma. It's complicated and looks to be possible getting even more complicated as it's now an Indian reservation.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
With the most recent SCOTUS decision, Tusla is no longer part of the state of Oklahoma. It's complicated and looks to be possible getting even more complicated as it's now an Indian reservation.

I live close to Tulsa. It’s not really going to impact much after discussions I’ve had with those close to it. As of now the only big impact is to those that have been charged in the past.

this won’t impact the ECHL deal at all.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I live close to Tulsa. It’s not really going to impact much after discussions I’ve had with those close to it. As of now the only big impact is to those that have been charged in the past.

this won’t impact the ECHL deal at all.

There's a lawyer who works at the Federal level that explained the nuance of the decision and it only pertains to Native Americans. Everything else should remain the same. It's the should part that concerns me because now there is an opening to do other things. For now, all of Oklahoma remains a statehood of the US.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Don't know how I forgot Dostal, he should be a major boost to the goaltending department.

They've now got 3 youngsters in San Diego: Dostal, Olle and Durny. The latter two might be ECHL bound, so there could indeed be a spot for a veteran goalie, whether that's Stolarz/Boyle or someone else...

I'd have to imagine Dostal will be playing another year in Finland. Ilves would be happy to have him back, and the Ducks staff should be happy with the improvment he's done there and with the opportunities he's getting.

I'm guessing Miller retires, and that Gibson and Stolarz will be the Ducks tandem. A veteran goalie will be signed for the Gulls, with Durny and Olle battling for backup duties.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
I'd have to imagine Dostal will be playing another year in Finland. Ilves would be happy to have him back, and the Ducks staff should be happy with the improvment he's done there and with the opportunities he's getting.

I'm guessing Miller retires, and that Gibson and Stolarz will be the Ducks tandem. A veteran goalie will be signed for the Gulls, with Durny and Olle battling for backup duties.

The thing is, Lukas doesn't have much to prove in Finland anymore. He made the all-star team and won Liiga's Vezina equivalent in his first full season. IMO San Diego is the most logical place for him for next season -- if everything goes well, IMO he's a dark horse candidate to make an NHL debut, similar to how it went for NYR and Georgiyev. COVID might change the circumstances, of course...

Another point is that this was the last possible slide year in Lukas' ELC, the 3-year timer starts next season no matter what. In that sense, there is no benefit in having him stay in Europe.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
The thing is, Lukas doesn't have much to prove in Finland anymore. He made the all-star team and won Liiga's Vezina equivalent in his first full season. IMO San Diego is the most logical place for him for next season -- if everything goes well, IMO he's a dark horse candidate to make an NHL debut, similar to how it went for NYR and Georgiyev. COVID might change the circumstances, of course...

Another point is that this was the last possible slide year in Lukas' ELC, the 3-year timer starts next season no matter what. In that sense, there is no benefit in having him stay in Europe.

There's plenty of benefit. He's obviously doing very well in Ilves and with their goaltending coach. He's building confidence. He is relatively close to home. Travel between games in Finland is short etc.

What's the benefit of having him in the AHL? The only thing I can think of is him adapting to the smaller rink, but this is not a process which takes years for goalies. There will be time for that.

Keep in mind this is a guy who turned 20 only a month ago. By comparison, Henrik Lundqvist had dominated the SHL (which at the time was the clear 2nd best league in the world) for three straight years, and had been part of three World Championships and one World Cup, before the Rangers brought him over when he was 23. Or look how long Columbus waited with Merzlikins, because they had Bobrobsky.

Liiga will start a couple of months before the NHL. If he starts well with Ilves, I see no point in messing up that flow by getting him to the AHL halfway through the season. Liiga will also finish before the NHL and AHL. Thus he can have his taste of North American hockey at the end of the season.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
There's plenty of benefit. He's obviously doing very well in Ilves and with their goaltending coach. He's building confidence. He is relatively close to home. Travel between games in Finland is short etc.

What's the benefit of having him in the AHL? The only thing I can think of is him adapting to the smaller rink, but this is not a process which takes years for goalies. There will be time for that.

Keep in mind this is a guy who turned 20 only a month ago. By comparison, Henrik Lundqvist had dominated the SHL (which at the time was the clear 2nd best league in the world) for three straight years, and had been part of three World Championships and one World Cup, before the Rangers brought him over when he was 23. Or look how long Columbus waited with Merzlikins, because they had Bobrobsky.

Liiga will start a couple of months before the NHL. If he starts well with Ilves, I see no point in messing up that flow by getting him to the AHL halfway through the season. Liiga will also finish before the NHL and AHL. Thus he can have his taste of North American hockey at the end of the season.
Merzlikins waited for Columbus more than vice versa, but yeah agreed to your points. I'm quite excited about Dostal but he has a couple years of development to do before making an impact in NHL, probably.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Dostal could stay in Europe for another year if it seems like they won't get AHL season going. Ilves would be a fine option, also he could go to SHL.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

This is cool to hear. I understood they are further off from restarting.

With a bit more certainty I would like to see what Thrun chooses to do. Losing a year would be very unwise for him at this stage. Not sure if other NCAA teams will close or not - maybe there are some loaning possibilities.
If he signs a pro contract, there is no reason for him to go to Europe imo - should sign with the Ducks and play in San Diego.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad