2019-20 San Diego Gulls

Status
Not open for further replies.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Gulls win 3-2. Goals by Sherwood (2) and Comtois. Stolarz stopped 38 of 40 shots, seems like he's been very helpful down there.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
When I've watched the Gulls, I've liked Lundestrom. He skates very well, is poised with the puck, and can make a pass. However, I still want to see more offensive assertiveness from him. He doesn't take the puck to the slot in the offensive zone often enough, I feel like he's too comfortable being closer to the boards.

Reactions: Kalv and nilssont

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
When I've watched the Gulls, I've liked Lundestrom. He skates very well, is poised with the puck, and can make a pass. However, I still want to see more offensive assertiveness from him. He doesn't take the puck to the slot in the offensive zone often enough, I feel like he's too comfortable being closer to the boards.
Will be a NHLer for us without a doubt in my mind, hoping he still has at least .5 PPG offensive upside though

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
With the win tonight, the Gulls officially move into 4th place, I think for the first time this season. They lead Ontario by 1 point with a game in hand. Ontario hosts San Jose tomorrow night, so the Gulls are now hoping to see the Barracuda take out their frustration on the Reign.

There was a moment in tonight's game in which Sam Carrick was 1-on-1 coming in on goal -- and the defenseman for the Barracuda was his younger brother Trevor. Trevor did his job, and Sam didn't get a great attempt at goal, but it was an amusing sequence.

Also, at one point, Comtois, looking for the hat trick, got a pass so he was in 1-on-0 - the only problem was, he didn't have a stick. So, he kick-passed it back to another Gull for the attempt -- nothing came of it, but it sure was funny!

Last edited:

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Comtois seems to score mostly by being in the right spot, whereas Terry likes to create scoring opportunities - they should match well together.

I think Comtois just needs to work on being more explosive this summer to help with his skating, hitting, and help him get into better positions to score and maintain his balance/leverage since the NHL has faster talent. He's always been advanced in his size and strength and is still really young, but hopefully he realizes that the NHL is at another level and he really needs work even harder because he should be manhandling guys like Jokiharu and Theodore instead of just keeping up.

Terry also needs to get more explosive and combined with his hands and reach it would help tremendously. He's never going to be a hitter so there is really no point for him to be big, although it would be nice if he learned to finish his check and not only go for poke checks. Even the most softest finesse players finish their check once in a while (i.e. Rakell).

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I did this last year, but here is a potential Gulls playoff lineup:

Pietila - Steel - Terry
Comtois - Lundestrom - Sherwood
Jones - Carrick - Poturalski (currently injured)
De Leo - Mueller - Kloos (currently injured)
(Broadhurst, Criscuolo, Kopacka, Tropp, Morand, Dostie, Gates, Gazdic)

Mahura - Wideman
Benoit - Persson
Guhle - Larsson/Djoos
(Larsson/Djoos, Drew, Johnston, Moldenhauer, Kanzig, Hakanpaa)

Stolarz
Boyle

Players who could potentially be available depending on when their seasons end: Zegras, Groulx, Andersson, Tracey

Last edited:
Reactions: MilesNewton

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
I did this last year, but here is a potential Gulls playoff lineup:

Pietila - Steel - Terry
Comtois - Lundestrom - Sherwood
Jones - Carrick - Poturalski (currently injured)
De Leo - Mueller - Kloos (currently injured)

Probably no on Steel. Ducks consider him an NHLer now, with zero games in San Diego this season.

edit: sounds like they did do a paper transaction to make Steel technically eligible for the AHL playoffs. We’ll see if they see value in demoting him.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
He was among the paper transactions yesterday, so I would assume that means he will play for them once the season is over (if he's healthy).

Yeah, just saw that. I think it’s a technicality just in case they decide it’s the right move for his development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad