Salary Cap: 2019-20 Salary Cap initial projection is $83 million

powder88

Nov 21, 2013
Kinda think this should have received a little more play. With Bettman's announcement earlier in the week, we are awfully close to being able to sign Laine, Connor and Trouba (if he actually wants to be here). Being able to get rid of Kulikov or Perrault makes it a virtual certainty. The conversation really turns to what you would need to pay to keep Tanev and Copp on the TLC line. Given all of their ages, I would (happily) see Kuli or (less happily) Mattieu move on if it meant keeping all of our 20-somethings. Perrault may even allow you to pick up a pick or mid-level prospect (or both) coming back.

Reactions: probablywrongbut

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Kinda think this should have received a little more play. With Bettman's announcement earlier in the week, we are awfully close to being able to sign Laine, Connor and Trouba (if he actually wants to be here). Being able to get rid of Kulikov or Perrault makes it a virtual certainty. The conversation really turns to what you would need to pay to keep Tanev and Copp on the TLC line. Given all of their ages, I would (happily) see Kuli or (less happily) Mattieu move on if it meant keeping all of our 20-somethings. Perrault may even allow you to pick up a pick or mid-level prospect (or both) coming back.
Yup, if it's 83M that would be good for the Jets.

Here's a scenario...

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-6_12-19-16.png
    upload_2018-12-6_12-19-16.png
    91 KB · Views: 45

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I knew when I heard the news, that someone here would do the heavy lifting and work out the details for me :)

This sure helps us, and probably a lot of other teams as well.

powder88

Nov 21, 2013
Close to what I had. I think you are a little high for Laine, which would allow us to potentially retain Tanev as well, but I'm not going to quibble over it.

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
Close to what I had. I think you are a little high for Laine, which would allow us to potentially retain Tanev as well, but I'm not going to quibble over it.
Or perhaps another chunk to Connor. This current season is likely the last (for a while) where the Jets can add a significant piece near the trade deadline.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Or perhaps another chunk to Connor. This current season is likely the last (for a while) where the Jets can add a significant piece near the trade deadline.

I'd prefer they keep their first round pick, assuming that's the cost to obtain a significant rental piece that doesn't upset the cap balance next season. Making that trade every so often is reasonable, repeatedly not so much. I do understand that there's a certain logic, if you will, in doing so this year because the window is presumably open. But even then I'm not in favor as those high value ELC successes are invaluable. Made lots of sense last year when the 2nd line was struggling but it seems less of a need now.

For a D man we'd have a shot at re-signing? Perhaps. But cap balance. Of course Trouba leaving/traded in July would open a lot of room.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I'd prefer they keep their first round pick, assuming that's the cost to obtain a significant rental piece that doesn't upset the cap balance next season. Making that trade every so often is reasonable, repeatedly not so much. I do understand that there's a certain logic, if you will, in doing so this year because the window is presumably open. But even then I'm not in favor as those high value ELC successes are invaluable. Made lots of sense last year when the 2nd line was struggling but it seems less of a need now.

For a D man we'd have a shot at re-signing? Perhaps. But cap balance. Of course Trouba leaving/traded in July would open a lot of room.

They really have to keep that 1st this season... not just to replenish the prospect pool but also as a chip to move contracts like Kulikov's (and perhaps Perreault's) for salary cap reasons. Even if they don't intend to use that 1st to unload a contract, it makes it a lot easier to trade a 2nd to unload a contract if you have a 1st in your pocket.

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
They really have to keep that 1st this season... not just to replenish the prospect pool but also as a chip to move contracts like Kulikov's (and perhaps Perreault's) for salary cap reasons. Even if they don't intend to use that 1st to unload a contract, it makes it a lot easier to trade a 2nd to unload a contract if you have a 1st in your pocket.

There is also the option to trade a later first round pick to add a top four defenseman, or "significant piece" of their choice this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad