2019-20 Salary Cap $81.4-85.4m (Oct BOG) UPD: $83m @ Dec BOG; Final: $81.5m

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
That is an 83M guess right now, but NHLPA can use inflator 0-3% right? Previously they had been using around 1.5% right?

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
OP says estimate is 81.4M, but if the PA wants a 5% escalator, it goes to 85.4M or so.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
So I guess Melnyk will be looking for some insured LTIR contracts to get up to the floor.

This season Sens are projected to be well above floor. Unless team unloads Stone and Duchene for cheap contracts/picks don't think reaching floor will be a concern.

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
This season Sens are projected to be well above floor. Unless team unloads Stone and Duchene for cheap contracts/picks don't think reaching floor will be a concern.

I think what they are referring to is the actual budget being spent on the ice. Take out McCarthur and Gaborik's insured contracts (approx. 9 mil combined) and the money spent on the ice drops from 71 to 62. Lose one of Duchene or Stone and you may still be above the cap floor technically, but in the money spent on the ice is actually well below the floor.

If you take away money spent on mistakes (phaneuf/condon), that's another 4.5 mil.

In other words, the sens could easily be running a team out onto the ice next year that totals around 50 mil in actual salary...with a cap floor in the low 60s:(

Reactions: LeHab

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Does anyone know when the new cap hit comes into effect? Is it July 1st when free agency opens or start of training camps? In the summer months, teams can go 10% over, but is that 10% of $79,5m or $83m?

When exactly does the 2019-2020 season cap "start"?

I couldn't seem to find that information anywhere.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
July 1. (But teams can exceed cap 10% during the off season. If cap is $80m, they can go up to $88m.) Official cap limit for the upcoming season is announced in late June (around entry draft).

Teams must be in cap compliance the day before the start of the season. (IOW when season opening rosters are due).

Reactions: Agalloch

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
OP says estimate is 81.4M, but if the PA wants a 5% escalator, it goes to 85.4M or so.

If this is correct it would mean that underlying growth would be much smaller this year than what we have seen on average previous years, in fact much smaller. I.E. 81.4 / (79.5*0.9875 (i.e. what the cap would have been last season if no escalator would have been used (i recon this is a bit sloppy since the escalator affects the midpoint and not the ceiling, but maybe close enough))) = 3.6 per cent, against 5+% previous years.

Seems low to me.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
Any news on this topic? Read somewhere on this boards that at the combine there was talk the cap could be between 81 and 82?

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
If you go off what the compensation numbers are, you can work backwards thru the CBA to determine the rate of inflation, then use the cap from the CBA to guesstimate the cap this year.

IIRC, the number pencils out to a little over $82mm($82.18mm)

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
31 Thoughts: Sharks still have shot at keeping Erik Karlsson - Sportsnet.ca

Friedman notes
There will be more conversation about the 2019-20 salary cap next week in Las Vegas, where the Board of Governors meet the day before the NHL Awards. After the combine, several teams indicated they thought the cap might be closer to $82M than the previously projected $83M. The players have the option to raise the ceiling up to five per cent, but, with concerns about escrow, lifted it 1.25 per cent for last season, and a similar number is expected this time around.

So, BOG meets 6/18. Hopefully NHLPA has a decision on escrow then or soon after, so we can get firm cap $$.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
So, BOG meets 6/18. Hopefully NHLPA has a decision on escrow then or soon after, so we can get firm cap $$.

Last year cap numbers were published on June 21st, a day after BOG meeting. Expect something on June 19 this year?

(edit) BoG meets on June 19th

Last edited:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
If you go off what the compensation numbers are, you can work backwards thru the CBA to determine the rate of inflation, then use the cap from the CBA to guesstimate the cap this year.

IIRC, the number pencils out to a little over $82mm($82.18mm)

There's a correlation between the two numbers, but they're not directly linked together that they grow at identical %'s. The draft pick compensation numbers are based on average player salary. This is affected by factors like front-loaded or back-loaded contract balance, and average # of players per roster. Also, so far as I'm aware escrow is not factored into the compensation calculation, so swings in effective escrow % are going to slew average player salary in a way that isn't reflected in the salary cap.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Escrow is just a backwards revision to the cap. CBA inflator & adjusted midpoint tweaks the headline number, escrow claws it back once final HRR comes out.

Average salary is going to be closer to the actual midpoint than adjusted midpoint.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Escrow is just a backwards revision to the cap. CBA inflator & adjusted midpoint tweaks the headline number, escrow claws it back once final HRR comes out.

Average salary is going to be closer to the actual midpoint than adjusted midpoint.

Escrow is a backwards revision to salary. Which again, to my knowledge is not reflected in the draft pick compensation growth rate.

Given escrow has been 5%+ for many years average salary has actually been closer to the adjusted midpoint then actual midpoint. Though that really doesn't matter. The point remains that average salary and the salary cap ceiling don't increase by identical % rates.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Will be interesting to see the final numbers for the salary cap. The higher the better as it speaks to the overall health of the game to have a high salary cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->