Injury Report: 2019-20 Sabres Injury Report (Sobotka, Thompson, Ullmark))

Status
Not open for further replies.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Sabres need to cut Okposo loose. Though I feel bad for what he went through and I don't care if board moderators love him and they shout me down. $6 million a year isn't even close to what he gives to the team and to the fans. A checking winger with 19 points this year should earn in the $2 mil range. And the Sabres have the unique "privilege" of having this drag on the lineup for another three years, with his mounting history of injuries and problems.

But I have zero confidence in management and the Sabres will be down another $18 mil before we know it.

I think Okposo is a family first guy. I don't think he will continue to put his long term health on the line as the front loaded contract is paid out.

Every year when the season starts, Okposo will be paid out his signing bonus (3M this year, 2M next year)

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/kyle-okposo

So, after he is paid out this year, he'll be owed 3 years, 11M, or he will have been paid out 31M out of the 42M contract. I.e. he made 7.75M over the previous 4 seasons. He'll only make 3.66M over the next 3 full seasons.

After NEXT year, he'll be down to 2 years, 6M after the bonus is paid out.

At some point, he's going to simply retire because the risk is greater than the reward. I would not be shocked if he retired the minute the bonus is paid out this summer. He MIGHT play one more year to collect the 5M (salary for next season + 7/1 signing bonus) left.

Reactions: Team Cozens

Member 308457

I think Okposo is a family first guy. I don't think he will continue to put his long term health on the line as the front loaded contract is paid out.

Every year when the season starts, Okposo will be paid out his signing bonus (3M this year, 2M next year)

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/kyle-okposo

So, after he is paid out this year, he'll be owed 3 years, 11M, or he will have been paid out 31M out of the 42M contract. I.e. he made 7.75M over the previous 4 seasons. He'll only make 3.66M over the next 3 full seasons.

After NEXT year, he'll be down to 2 years, 6M after the bonus is paid out.

At some point, he's going to simply retire because the risk is greater than the reward. I would not be shocked if he retired the minute the bonus is paid out this summer. He MIGHT play one more year to collect the 5M (salary for next season + 7/1 signing bonus) left.

I hope you're right. Watching him lumbering down the ice, knowing his scoring days are behind him, re-inventing himself as a checker and going into corners with trepidation, afraid of concussions, detached retinas etc. must be a tough thing for a guy who came here all excited about this opportunity. It didn't work out. I hope he quits before he really gets hurt badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad